Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone successfully given up sugar?

(99 Posts)
FannyDeFuzz Tue 24-Jan-17 22:24:08

I'm about a stone heavier than I would like to be, and I often feel sluggish and headachey. I'm pretty sure it's down to my love of sugar - am otherwise healthy, five a day etc. But I just can't give up the sugary things.

Did you manage? How long did it take and what did you use to stop the cravings?

HighDataUsage Tue 24-Jan-17 22:29:01

I'm watching with interest as I want to give up sugar for health reasons, diabetes runs in my family. My down fall is tea and biscuits, if I drink a cup of tea then I need biscuits as an accompaniment. Then before I k ow it, half the packet has disappeared. I'm not overweight but I do need to curb the sugar intake because of the diabetes risk.

Flibbertyjibbit Tue 24-Jan-17 22:29:33

I'm on day 9 low carb and feeling great now i've got rid of initial headache. Substitute fat for sugar.

There's a great thread going in low carb section which has been really helpful for meal ideas and general support. Come & join us smile

Starypjs Tue 24-Jan-17 22:33:13

I have cut it right down but damn man it's the tea, it just needs it!! I went cold turkey to begin with (how hard can i be said i)and by day 3 i was in a total mess shaking, head aches etc so I let the tea back in at a very strict 1 spoon per cup with a cup limit of 4 per day. I am still working on it though and it is HARD

VVitch Tue 24-Jan-17 22:34:59

Yes! I'm in week 4 of the 8 week blood sugar diet by Michael Moseley. I am a recovering sugaraholic and I've struggled with it a bit at times but broadly speaking the high fat food choices are really satisfying in ways I hadn't expected. Also I think having the 8week time scale really helps you to focus on your goal. Read the book. I really do recommend it.

AdoraBell Tue 24-Jan-17 22:39:58

No, but I'd like to. Emotional eater here, and fresh veg just doesn't cut it when I'm stressed hmm

I might pop over to look that low carb thread Flibbertyjibit, is in Weight Loss?

HighDataUsage Tue 24-Jan-17 22:40:31

Ok I will order the Michael Moseley book. My down fall is biscuits, sweets and chocolates I can easily leave but not the biscuits. Now I'm getting older the excess sugar is causing digestive turbulence and bloating! blush

MyDarlingWhatIfYouFly Tue 24-Jan-17 22:42:32

I started keto on 4th Jan. I gave up all sugar and most carbs. I felt like absolute crap for 2 weeks, but now I feel great and I've lost a lot of weight in that time. Stick with it, it's worth it!

HerBluebiro Tue 24-Jan-17 22:43:28

Yes. 3 months in. So not necessarily kicked the habit.

But have found that if I slip it doesn't taste as good as I thought it would. Or as good as it used to taste. Hopefully taste buds are changing

Easier to abolish (switch to veggies not fruit) than to reduce I have found

Flibbertyjibbit Tue 24-Jan-17 22:44:00

AdoraBell there is a low carb boot camp section, there is a boot camp starting in a few weeks but quite a few of us have started early.

ChishandFips33 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:45:49

Only short term; several times for about 4-5 months each time

Felt bloody amazing but each time got cocky and thought 'I can have a little bit every now and again' - I really can't!!!

Trying to get back 'on it' by initially cutting the obvious right down.

Switched from hot chocolate to fruit teas, eat plain crisps instead of bars of chocolate <I know!> and try to avoid the office vending machine mid afternoon!

AdoraBell Tue 24-Jan-17 23:43:05

Thanks, I'll have a look.

AnaG1ypta Tue 24-Jan-17 23:45:39

Can you switch your milk to semi or full fat? It tastes sweeter so you might find it easier?

SpudULiked Tue 24-Jan-17 23:49:08

I need to do this.
Im 5.7 & people say I so skinny, do I eat? Im 11 stone and its all around my stomach.

Im wearing maternity tops to hide it, Its a great big bloated tummy & Im sure its just full of all the sugary crap I eat all day.

WildBelle Wed 25-Jan-17 01:15:47

Do the 7 day juice detox by Jason Vale. He's an annoying cockwomble but it bloody works. After 3 days you stop craving unhealthy carbs and sugar, and you don't miss them after that. You also lose 7 lbs in those 7 days! It was a good few months before I found sugar was creeping back into my diet, if that happens just detox again.

kel12345 Wed 25-Jan-17 01:39:58

I stopped having sugar in tea when I was 13, so 11 years ago. Best thing i ever did.
Now it's mainly in alcohol I get sugar. And coke.

Mummytogg Wed 25-Jan-17 05:10:06

We managed to give up artificial sugar when my son was little, still included small amounts of honey/maple syrup and a normal amount of fruit. Then he hit a sleep regression and it went downhill!

We try to be mindful of how much sugar we eat but it's been a craving during this pregnancy (I put it down mainly to tiredness)

Once I've given birth I would like us to gradually cut back again. I would say the first week was the hardest for us but if you include plenty of water and eat regularly it helps

fuffapster Wed 25-Jan-17 05:37:40

I had to give up sugar for health reasons.
I didn't take sugar in tea, coffee, etc so that was not so difficult. But I used to always have a sweet or two after lunch and giving this up was difficult as I always used to have cravings for sugar after lunch (which turned out to be a symptom of my condition).
I resolved this by getting sweets with artificial sweeteners (isotol, and others).
There are debates about artificial sweeteners I suppose, but it did the job for me. I eventually stopped having them as I got more used to having less sugar.

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Wed 25-Jan-17 05:51:48

I've pretty much given it up apart from alcohol. Gave up sugar in hot drinks and on cereal about 3 yrs ago - it took 6 months to get used to it now it doesn't bother me at all. Have completely lost interest in sweets/ chocolate and biscuits. Crave savoury food but still need to cut out alcohol. You can do it but if you're like me it just takes a bit of time. Good luck.

KateDaniels2 Wed 25-Jan-17 05:59:54

I have mainly fiven it up since new year.

I have eaten out twice and dont worry about it when i eat out.

I am doing low carb, high protein and fairly high fat.

I have pcos and struggle to lose weight. Since new year i have lost 10lb. I feel great now. The first few weeks wetent great though. But last weekend i found myself not even wanting some chocolate when it was offered.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Wed 25-Jan-17 06:30:23

Does fruit count? I've been vegan since new year and have found that I've avoided most sugary things naturally as they often contain dairy or gelatine. I have snacked on lots of fruit though so not sure if I have actually quit sugar. Definitely had loads less refined sugar though. I had a really expensive truffle left over from Christmas the other day, and to me it just tasted like gone off milk. I was quite pleased as I didn't want another one. I have lost about 8lb in a few weeks and am sleeping much better!

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Wed 25-Jan-17 06:57:33

my best friend is a health coach and I'm doing her sugar detox. It's quite gentle as you remove things week by week rather than all at once. I've lost 11lbs in 3 weeks!

CactusFred Wed 25-Jan-17 07:04:16

I have. 8 weeks on the blood sugar diet at the beginning but am now 4 months in. I feel amazing and am 3 1/2 stone lighter (obvs I cut down portions not just cut out sugar to get that!).

The weird thing is I don't even want cake or sweets. I will admit that I have a packet of 96% dark choc buttons and occasionally have one or two in the evening if I do have a twinge. Packet has lasted 2 months.

You can do it. You just have to push through the withdrawal headache 🙂

gunsandbanjos Wed 25-Jan-17 07:13:02

I eat a LCHF diet, bloody love it!

Definitely worth doing, feel so much better.

I have the odd wobble (curly wurly...) but generally I'm super strict.

FannyDeFuzz Wed 25-Jan-17 07:20:12

I don't have sugar in tea, thank goodness. I do in coffee though - a big strong sugary coffee is what gets me up in the morning. Today I've substituted the sugar for agave nectar and it's fine.

It was back before Christmas I realised- I had D&V and didn't eat much for ages. Dry toast etc. I then had some Christmas chocolate and it tasted vile. What's the point in eating something that tastes gross just because it's feeding your sugar cravings? It definitely dulls your tastebuds.

I find it really difficult to maintain willpower, especially because in work we're all rushing around then someone brings cake in.... I like the idea of a very strict initial detox

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: