Talk

Advanced search

to still be cross about the outcome of the EU referendum?

(894 Posts)
mynamesnotsam Tue 24-Jan-17 21:38:32

I'm still so angry and can't forgive those who voted to leave. After the result there was much talk of how the two sides must put aside their differences but I don't feel there has been any attempt to try to appease the 48.1% of people who voted to stay. I also want to rip the head off any one who says it's the will of the people. They should be legally obligated to say it's the will of 51.9 % of the people who voted. If the vote had gone the other way you can bet that UKIP would still be making a huge fuss about it but remainers are expected to "just get over it"!

Crumbs1 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:40:48

Me too

wowfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 21:41:32

I'm with you. Just hoping the politicians come to their senses and put a stop to it. Life is going to become harder and a damn sight more expensive as a result of leaving the EU.

AtomHeart Tue 24-Jan-17 21:42:50

You can't forgive people for having a different opinion to you? That is ridiculous. I can understand you being upset and annoyed that it didn't go your way though.

wowfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 21:44:19

Not when you consider the impact it isn't. Turkeys voting for Christmas.

Gartenzwerg Tue 24-Jan-17 21:47:00

I have been terribly angry when political parties that I voted for did not win elections. However I just had to accept that that is how democracy works, and suck it up. Such is life in a democracy, and quite frankly you should be grateful that you live in one.

mynamesnotsam Tue 24-Jan-17 21:47:00

It may be ridiculous but I can't forgive the decision they made and the repercussions it is having for all of us.

MiddlingMum Tue 24-Jan-17 21:48:05

I'm still cross.

Chinnygirl Tue 24-Jan-17 21:48:45

Are you saying that the minority should win? Don't you believe in democracy?

I am a foreigner and do or did not have an opinion on brexit or bremain but the moaning afterwards is sooo undemocratic and selfish.

Creampastry Tue 24-Jan-17 21:49:10

I guess saying it's the will of the people wouldn't go down well .....

YokoUhOh Tue 24-Jan-17 21:50:11

I've said this on an earlier theead but the WORST FUCKING THING about Brexit is the time, money and resources that will be wasted on the process of leaving the EU. Money which could have gone to the NHS or schools is now going to be squandered on a heinously expensive vanity-divorce.

The whole thing is beyond depressing.

AntiHop Tue 24-Jan-17 21:50:30

I feel the same. I know many people who voted leave based on misinformation. Leaving the EU is going to have a hugely negative impact on the UK. I continue to feel really angry.

YokoUhOh Tue 24-Jan-17 21:51:27

chinny the moaning is part of democracy, we have freedom of speech and right to protest in liberal democracies. This is not North Korea although give it a few years...

mynamesnotsam Tue 24-Jan-17 21:51:39

Only if you say it's the will of some of the people Creampastry.

Chinnygirl Tue 24-Jan-17 21:51:42

Jeeez if everyone hates going so much why don't you try it out for ten years and hold another referendum to join the EU. Enougg other countries join.

Chinnygirl Tue 24-Jan-17 21:53:35

Yoko, but I read such stupid comments. Like the minority shouldbe appeased. No it shouldn't. Some of the people on the internet sound like they would like a dictator.

And I can moan about that as well.

wowfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 21:54:02

Yes, because after being made an example of for leaving, they'll really want us back again! The terms we have now are favourable. The future terms will be 'take it or leave it' terms with no concessions.

YokoUhOh Tue 24-Jan-17 21:55:01

chinny because, judging by the gap between referendums on membership of the EU, it'll be 40 years before we get another referendum. By which point the robots will have taken our jobs, anyway, so this will all be academic.

PastysPrincess Tue 24-Jan-17 21:55:03

Same here, I'm mad as hell. What boils my blood is so many people who actually dont know what they are talking about. For example, does anyone know what the internal energy market is??? Nope, didn't think so. If we can't retain access to it our energy bills will skyrocket by billions. It wasn't mentioned once during the campaigning angry

Chinnygirl Tue 24-Jan-17 21:56:01

Wowfudge

People on the continent are angry that you are leavibg, they would rather have you stay. Also, mist people know that the younger generation mostly voted remain. It all depends in how you communicate it

seagreengirl Tue 24-Jan-17 21:56:08

I don't know whether you are being unreasonable or not, but surely being this angry is having an impact on your general happiness and well being. Possibly it is having an effect on those you live with.

Maybe for the sake of your quality of life you should take a step back and stop obsessing about something that you can't really do anything about.

YokoUhOh Tue 24-Jan-17 21:56:33

17 million voted to leave, 16 million to stay. That's one hell of a minority.

wowfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 21:56:54

Some of your comments are pretty stupid Chinny. I don't which country you are from originally or whether you intend to stay, but if you are from another EU country, at least you have the option freely to go and settle wherever you like in the EU. We, and our children, won't have that option.

Vinorosso74 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:57:08

Ditto here. The amount of time and money wasted on it whilst other issues are being neglected is ridiculous. People voted leave based on lies-wasn't Farage on breakfast TV the morning after saying he hadn't said stuff he had?
I can accept an election result I don't like as it's a fixed term of 4 or 5 years, this is permanent.
The referendum should never have happened.

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 24-Jan-17 21:57:39

Money which could have gone to the NHS or schools is now going to be squandered on a heinously expensive vanity-divorce.

Yeah cos that was really going to happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now