Talk

Advanced search

To not know why mn has an issue with parking on the pavement?

(193 Posts)
CatchTheRainbow Tue 24-Jan-17 19:55:09

I have my driveway but the street I live in is quite long (has 3 postcodes) and there's always cars parked along the pavements.

I see it everywhere.

Who honestly has never parked on a pavement?

Why is it such an issue?

Prompto Tue 24-Jan-17 19:57:51

It's an issue because a lot of people who park on the pavement park like twats and don't leave enough room for people to get past, particularly with wheelchairs or pushchairs, and they then have to walk into the road.

I make it a point of going alongside cars who do this as close to the car as I can possibly get because I don't want to go too wide into the main road. If my buggy scrapes the car or clips the wing mirror... meh. They're fault, not mine.

Prompto Tue 24-Jan-17 19:57:59

*their

PidgeyfinderGeneral Tue 24-Jan-17 19:59:59

I don't know either.

As long as people leave enough room for prams/wheelchairs to get through and it's allowed in the area, I don't see a problem with it. Everyone pavement parks round where I live, and the vast majority are considerate about it.

I try and stay away from those threads because the smug 'ooh look, I 'accidentally' scratched this car which was parked on the pavement' posts make me furious.

PidgeyfinderGeneral Tue 24-Jan-17 20:01:20

Oh, and look. Second post in and someone admits to deliberately scraping cars parked on pavements. Fuck sake.

FittonTower Tue 24-Jan-17 20:02:03

I think it depends on the pavement and the road. Round me there's a lot of wide pavements and narrow roads you need to have 2 wheels on the pavement for cars to be able to drive but there's still plenty of room for a wheelchair or buggy. When dicks put the whole car on the pavement so wheel chairs cant pass then it's a problem

MadHattersWineParty Tue 24-Jan-17 20:03:02

because there's always some entitled selfish knob that's parked their ludicrously large car and takes up a huge chunk of pavement. Buggies, wheelchair users, people carrying stuff etc etc have to walk on the road to get past. Happens all the time where I live. Bloody Chelsea tractors leaving a tiny gap for you know, actual pedestrians to be able to use the pavement angry

Twats.

TheCatsWhiskers Tue 24-Jan-17 20:03:21

Have you ever seen a person on a wheelchair on the road? It's usually because they are unable to use the pavement, as it is filled with a car.

Soubriquet Tue 24-Jan-17 20:03:32

Because it's a pain in the arse and down right dangerous for prams and wheelchairs?

I don't want to have to go in the road to avoid your precious car

Rorylemony Tue 24-Jan-17 20:04:05

Isn't it illegal?

Reality16 Tue 24-Jan-17 20:04:59

Lost of reasons. There is someone who parks on the pavement of our main road and it is dangerous for people trying to turn out of the side street and also pedestrians crossing at the other side as people coming from the side street would not be able to see them. It's a twatish thing to do for multiple reasons.

HelenaWay Tue 24-Jan-17 20:05:12

I hate people who park on the pavements. I think they are selfish bastards.

Try spending a day in a wheelchair.

HunterHearstHelmsley Tue 24-Jan-17 20:06:48

I'm not sure.. It's generally not a problem. Sadly you will always get some mindless wanker who decides to damage cars and then come up with a petty little justification so it's easier just to not bother and exacerbate parking issues.

Dawndonnaagain Tue 24-Jan-17 20:06:52

Because every single time some twat does this, my wheelchair using dd has to take her life in her hands and wheel herself into the road and round the car.

AllTheBabies Tue 24-Jan-17 20:06:55

I have literally never parked on a pavement.

I hate it because round here it regularly forces people into the road. I have no idea what someone in a wheelchair would to when they come across the foot wide gap that has been left.

Maybe it's different in more residential areas but I'm in a city and it is massively anti social.

Prompto Tue 24-Jan-17 20:07:26

I don't deliberately scrape them, I don't set out to scrape them, however I'm not going to right out into the main road with a pushchair, my own DC and any mindees I have with me because it's dangerous. So we stick as close to the offending car as possibly. If it happens to get scraped or a mirror bumped in the process then that's their look out for parking like a selfish dickhead, not mine.

ScarletForYa Tue 24-Jan-17 20:07:31

There's a few things like that on Mumsnet.

U always put it down to cultural differences between where I live (Ireland) and Britain.

Here everyone parks on the path leaving enough room for buggies and wheelchairs and there's no issue about it.

I've never heard of anyone parking on anyone else's driveway here either. You wouldn't dare. It just doesn't happen.

And fussing about whether dropped kerbs are legal ones or home made ones I is non existent here too. You'd never park in front of one no matter what the law says.

I'm constantly bemused by the mad things British people politely endure!

ScarletForYa Tue 24-Jan-17 20:08:32

I* always put it down to cultural differences, fecking autocorrect.

hazeyjane Tue 24-Jan-17 20:10:10

It is a pain in the arse (and dangerous) when ds and I can't get past, so have to walk on the road. It happens several times a week here outside ds's school.

I would not 'accidentally' scrape the car, mainly because the people parked there are usually sat in the car trying to ignore the fact that I am having to push ds down the middle of the road whilst giving them a cheery wave

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 24-Jan-17 20:10:24

Pavements are for pedestrians.
Roads are for cars.

Simple.

tinydancer88 Tue 24-Jan-17 20:10:50

I don't park on pavements because pavements are for pedestrians.

Drives me mad when I see cars parked ENTIRELY on the footpath - all 4 wheels. I'd love to know why they think that's OK.

I do live in a residential area and actually, if everybody parked considerately and sensibly (I know this is wishful thinking cos there's always one ignorant individual who ruins it), there's no need at all to obstruct the pavement and create problems for pushchairs, wheelchair users, people with poor mobility, children, and people who don't fancy strolling along the actual flipping road. Yet I see it all the time.

AuntieStella Tue 24-Jan-17 20:11:29

I've never parked on a pavement.

And unless it''s an unusually wide pavement, it's a pretty shitty thing to do.

After all, how would drivers like it if a third of the vehicle carriageway was taken up by pedestrians?

TheCatsWhiskers Tue 24-Jan-17 20:12:11

I live near a country park, car parking is 20p for 2 hours but a lot of people park on the road so they don't have to pay the charge.

It is 60mph road, a local charity used to use the pavement as part of their walk as it lead to a local tea shop.

They have had to cancel this part of the walk route as the parked cars made them unable to access the route safely as they had to go on the road. Their wheelchairs couldn't get past the cars.

Now they drive in their minibus, the children see the view from a glass screen now.

We have protested to the council and there is talk with of double yellows. If people were considerate there would be no need for this.

Lunar1 Tue 24-Jan-17 20:12:10

People parking on pavements are generally selfish cunts. I always chose to squeeze my first husbands wheelchair through a tight gap rather than talk risks on the road. Who gives a shiny shit if a car gets scratched in this circumstance?

WaitrosePigeon Tue 24-Jan-17 20:12:47

You have no idea why? Are you thick?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now