Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect more cupboards?

(28 Posts)
strugglingstepdad Tue 24-Jan-17 19:17:06

Housing association have just updated our kitchen. The new kitchen has less cupboard space than before?

We used to have 2 double wall mounted cupboards, this has gone down to 1 double wall mounted cupboard with the same cupboard space under the worktops!

We asked for more, but have been told that because it's a 3 bedroomed property we aren't allowed anymore, regardless of the fact there is 6 of us living here!

To purchase the cupboards we need would be less than £100, which won't break the bank, but I just feel as though the HA should have done more?

So AIBU?

Allthewaves Tue 24-Jan-17 19:19:06

You got a new kitchen yabu

strugglingstepdad Tue 24-Jan-17 19:24:39

Well yes, the old kitchen was in massive disrepair and had been since we moved in in October.

KathArtic Tue 24-Jan-17 19:25:50

Put some nice open shelves up?

wowfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 19:39:59

Can you buy another cupboard via the contractors doing the work - even if it means putting it up yourselves?

strugglingstepdad Tue 24-Jan-17 19:44:44

Yes, we can buy the units ourselves, was just thinking it was off that they could take away the space sad

AuntiePenguin Tue 24-Jan-17 19:50:21

You are incredibly lucky to be in a HA property at all, there is a horrific shortage of social housing and a lot of my friends are in insecure, expensive private tenancies with horrible damp problems etc.

Maybe try and focus on the positives: they've replaced your kitchen. Be happy.

You have zero chance of convincing them to change the rules for you, or spending extra money on more cabinets.

strugglingstepdad Tue 24-Jan-17 20:04:52

AuntiePenguin where we are there is a large amount of social housing, and it seems relatively available. But I do see your point.

Nicketynac Tue 24-Jan-17 20:12:52

MIL lives in social housing and had a similar situation. However, it turns out that the old kitchen did not meet modern planning rules - cupboards too close to hob, door to hall ipin unsafe position etc. Could that be a reason?

Nicketynac Tue 24-Jan-17 20:13:48

In, not ipin!

strugglingstepdad Tue 24-Jan-17 20:15:20

No, they relocated the cooker to where one double cupboard was, but that double cupboard allocation was relocated to where the cooker used to be, there is nothing where the double and single cupboards were together but an empty wall now sad

OrangeSquashTallGlass Tue 24-Jan-17 20:25:57

They obviously have some formula that they're working off of for how many cupboards you're allocated. Annoying and odd but it would be the same wherever you rented: up to the landlord.

Put up some shelves and move on with your life. Houzz is your friend.

Coloursthatweremyjoy Tue 24-Jan-17 20:33:30

When I had our kitchen refitted I took out all over the counter cupboards. I found that shelves with kiliner jars on or racks for saucepans gave an illusion of space. I have seen kitchens that have all the cupboards open, no doors at all even on the larder. Sounds awful, looks weirdly effective.

Try that. Or suck up the £100 and be relieved it isnt £1000.

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Tue 24-Jan-17 20:37:58

It costs money to supply you with a free kitchen! Don't like it? Pay for it yourself!

HelenaWay Tue 24-Jan-17 20:39:22

YABU. You don't know how lucky you are.

notangelinajolie Tue 24-Jan-17 20:40:03

YABVU. Wish I could have a free new kitchen.

Creampastry Tue 24-Jan-17 21:22:31

Wow, yabu massively. You got a free kitchen. Do you have any idea how much a kitchen costs? Buy yourself some shelves.

SaucyJack Tue 24-Jan-17 21:27:52

She's not getting a free kitchen!

It's not hers to keep. Don't be thick.

That's how renting works. You pay to live somewhere, and the property owner pays to maintain it.

wowfudge Tue 24-Jan-17 21:32:14

Jeez there are some delights on this thread. You would be annoyed if this happened to you. Given the size of the OPs family, it's ridiculous to take storage space off them.

LegoCaltrops Tue 24-Jan-17 21:43:48

YABU, sorry. We rent privately. The kitchen is, like yours, inadequate. Unlike you, we will lose our deposit if we do anything about it. No HA available round here either.

MsMims Tue 24-Jan-17 22:11:04

Wow, some really nasty replies. The OPs rent obviously includes the use of a kitchen, it doesn't belong to her, so not sure what is meant by her 'getting a free kitchen.'

Starypjs Tue 24-Jan-17 22:16:03

I did these refurbishments for 10 years. There are rules about what can go where, rules about distances of cookers/hobs/ washers/ dryers/from doors, windows, outside walls, cupboards, your grans neighbours fishpond, his three doors down's caravan - you get the picture. Also there's a budget, trying to get the most refurbishment for the most people. sometimes it's not what you'd like if you were doing it yourself, but if you were doing it yourself there'd be no rules, it could be a lovely b&q extravaganza of bright green melamine. It's about making each property meet a basic standard regardless of current occupancy so when u leave it's ok for the next person.

donajimena Tue 24-Jan-17 23:17:02

YABU and YANBU in equal measures. I rent privately and would give my eye teeth to be in a HA property. (I'd also love to be lady of the manor but hey ho)
Its annoying but you need to look at alternative storage.
I'm moving soon. To another private rental. I'm awaiting permission to put my pictures on the wall. Renting is horrid. But the alternatives are worse.

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Tue 24-Jan-17 23:25:06

It's not a free kitchen if your paying rent! She's not a squatter ffs.

Looking at the positives, our last privately rented flat had a cupboard under the kitchen sink and one other kitchen cupboard. Bastards.

ScoobyDoosTinklyLaugh Tue 24-Jan-17 23:26:18

*he

My mistake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now