Talk

Advanced search

Will of the people.

(20 Posts)
fakenamefornow Tue 24-Jan-17 18:48:01

AIBU to think that MPs, (some of) the press, UKIP, Nigel Farage and all should stop this 'will of the people' business. It was the will of Leave voters ONLY. It wasn't the will of 48% of the electorate. They should stop talking as if the Brexit vote was unanimous. It doesn't take much to correct this, just refer to 'the majority or' 'leavie voters' I didn't vote for this, I don't want this, so does this mean that I am not one of 'the people'.

AppleMagic Tue 24-Jan-17 18:53:12

I agree. It was the will of about 30% of the electorate. A large amount of people didn't care enough to vote so presumably aren't bothered.

PJBanana Tue 24-Jan-17 19:13:42

Completely 100% agree.

The other thing that makes me laugh is Farage's pre-Brexit speech about how 'if the referendum result is close, we'll continue fighting' etc etc. If this situation were the other way around, I imagine that leave voters would be complaining that only a small majority voted to remain.

To be honest, I think that with the combination of Brexit and Trump being president, the western world is halfway to being fucked anyway. I feel like I don't give a shit what happens now. The sooner me and DP get out of here the better grin

DJBaggySmalls Tue 24-Jan-17 19:17:13

YANBU. They dont speak for me.

Pettywoman Tue 24-Jan-17 19:20:03

The will of the people who were fed a pack of lies and still only won by a really narrow margin.

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Tue 24-Jan-17 19:22:28

Heartily agree.

Also fucking sick of being called a Remoaner hmmwhen I dare to continue to speak my mind, as is my democratic right.

If we can't dissent, it's not a democracy. The feeling that ours is slipping away under the banner of nationalism is utterly terrifying.

Manumission Tue 24-Jan-17 19:30:08

It's a well-worn phrase for the results of democratic votes, isn't it?

I'm as depressed by Trump and Farage as the next woman but the fact it is it WAS the outcome of the election.

In any case, Farage needs to understand that the Brexit referendum wasn't his own personal victory. Nor UKIP's. It wasn't party political so he can stop looking so smug.

fakenamefornow Tue 24-Jan-17 19:31:04

I'm not asking for much, just that they use the correct language to reflect the facts. This seems too much to ask in our 'post truth' and 'alternative facts' world though.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 24-Jan-17 19:34:12

Surely they're not kicking off about the law lords' ruling? I thought a lot of people said they voted to leave because of 'sovereignty'. Which in our democracy must mean the sovereignty of Parliament.

Manumission Tue 24-Jan-17 19:35:52

just that they use the correct language to reflect the facts.

Well you've picked a truly crap example smile

Manumission Tue 24-Jan-17 19:38:08

I think, technically speaking the Law Courts are also supposed to reflect "the will of the people". So if you're going to get worked up, so could the other side today grin

Anatidae Tue 24-Jan-17 19:40:40

People who voted for parliamentary sovereignty objecting to parliamentary sovereignty grin

The outcome of the referendum was to leave. It's not the result I voted for, but it's the result we got and so be it. however having the PM alone trigger it without involving parliament is surely wrong?

The whole thing is a total fucking mess. World. Hell. Handcart.

KarlosKKrinkelbeim Tue 24-Jan-17 19:41:44

The courts are supposed to apply the law, not reflect the will of the people. If they did the latter then we would not actually have a developed legal system; what we would have is mob rule.

Fitzsimmons Tue 24-Jan-17 19:44:01

Reminds me of something I saw elsewhere:

Brexiteer Maths:

17 million = THE PEOPLE

16 million = LIBERAL METROPOLITAN ELITE.

OddBoots Tue 24-Jan-17 19:44:16

Wasn't it worked out recently that looking at the the demographics of who voted what then as people have died and as others have become 18 then the vote would probably have swung the other way if it was carried out now.

FarAwayHills Tue 24-Jan-17 19:49:16

I agreen OP. Also fed up of the 'just get on with it' type remarks. Given that there was no plan for Brexit, because they never thought it could happen, I think it's only right to have some checks and balances. Those making these decisions need to be answerable to the people for the shit storm they are about to take us into.

Manumission Tue 24-Jan-17 19:52:41

Well obviously at the end of process of legislation and what not karlos. Don't make me go looking for a political philosophy quote smile

Doobigetta Tue 24-Jan-17 19:53:02

Totally agree. And as far as the Supreme Court case goes, they lost. They need to stop moaning and get over it. grin

fakenamefornow Tue 24-Jan-17 20:33:45

Also fed up of the 'just get on with it' type remarks

I had a discussion the other day with a Brexiter who was of this opinion. She said we should have just left the day after the vote and it was stupid to wait until March. I pointed out that this was because EU budgets and our contribution has been agreed until 2019. She said we should just leave now though, just stop paying into the budget, and that it's idiotic that we keep paying. I pointed out that we have agreed to pay this until 2019 though. She still insist that we should just stop paying, rip up our agreement. I asked what we would do then, go out and try to sign trade agreements with the rest of the world. She said yes, just sign new trade agreements. I didn't bother pointing out the glaringly obvious.

RufusTheSpartacusReindeer Tue 24-Jan-17 20:37:09

Thats funny fitz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now