loader

Talk

Advanced search

To consider re homing my dog? :(

(56 Posts)
brokenheartdog Tue 24-Jan-17 16:19:52

Have n/c as dd knows my sign in name.

Please do not flame me.

We have had our dog since she was a puppy, she came from someone we knew who has sadly since passed away so no chance of return to the breeder, we love her enormously and I have been so lucky as I have mostly worked from home so she really is my companion.

I have been not been feeling myself for the last six month but as a single working mother of children one of who has additional needs I have put it off and off. I eventually got to a point that I couldn't ignore it any longer and went to the doctors who referred for tests. The tests came back and completely blind sided me, I don't want to go into massive details but the result of which has snowballed into regular hospital attendance, tests and treatment.

At the moment I am completely exhausted and can't seem to manage anything, I took the dog for a short walk early and was utterly exhausted, our lovely girl has ended up repeatedly in the kennels both during the day for day care and overnight so that I can go to the hospital or such and this is likely to get worse, she hates this and has become very stressed and pulling her hair out and has started to get upset at home if I just leave the room which she has never bothered with before . I am also reaching a point where now I am unable to work the cost of the kennels is putting a huge strain on me too.

I am also scared of what might happen in the future, if I can make sure she gets a good home without having to go into kennels and I am scared of reaching a point if it came to it of HAVING to re home her at short notice and her having to go into kennels..

PenguinRoar Tue 24-Jan-17 16:22:39

I haven't used it, but have you seen Borrow my doggy? Might that be option?

Really sorry to hear you are unwell.

AyeAmarok Tue 24-Jan-17 16:23:48

Is doggy day care an option, or a dog walker once a day?

Coffeeisnecessary Tue 24-Jan-17 16:27:17

Wouldn't dream of flaming someone for this- you sound like a very responsible do dog owner and I dont blame you at all for wanting to rehome your dog. Could you put some feelers out around people you know who could take her perhaps even on a temporary basis until you are better?

GinIsIn Tue 24-Jan-17 16:29:57

Your reasons for rehoming the dog are really good ones - it sounds like it would be better for you and for the dog given your circumstances.

Please don't use gumtree or pets4homes - go via a reputable shelter who can help you.

toptoe Tue 24-Jan-17 16:31:21

I would consider it a fair option to rehome her. We gave ours a home after previous owners circs changed and she has a good life. Find the right owners and you might even be able to stay in contact.

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 24-Jan-17 16:31:53

No advice OP just standing guard in case some twat decides to stick a boot in - there's always at least one on a re-homing thread.

I'm in a similar situation to you, by the way. Two beloved dogs who I'm increasingly unable to manage due to a sudden diagnosis of a potentially fatal (and exhausting) health condition coinciding with my mum (with whom the dogs normally spend the day) probably going into a care home. It's been a shit year and deciding to re-home a dog is soul-destroying.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 24-Jan-17 16:32:47

How old is DD? Could she take over some of the responsibilities?

user1471452279 Tue 24-Jan-17 16:32:52

I think rehoming may be a good option here but if you're not sure there's a charity called The Cinamon Trust who foster dogs whose owners are elderly or ill. Might be worth contacting them.

Twooter Tue 24-Jan-17 16:34:20

Have you looked at the Cinnamon Trust?

TrionicLettuce Tue 24-Jan-17 16:36:09

I'm so sorry you're in this situation and I can't imagine anyone flaming you for trying to do what is best for your dog flowers

Many rescues, particularly the small independent ones who primarily use fosterers rather than kennels, will help find a new home (including everything they normally do like homechecking and vetting potential owners) whilst the dogs remains with you.

If your girl is a pedigree then most breed clubs run their own rescue network and will also generally do the same. They might even be able to help find someone who could help out on a more temporary basis.

Do you happen to be in touch with anyone else who has had pups from the same breeder? I ask as I have three dogs, all of whom came from the same breeder (who recently died), and if anyone who owned another of her pups was struggling I'd be more than willing to help if I could.

brokenheartdog Tue 24-Jan-17 16:38:18

I have had a look at find my doggy but I would need someone to take her at short notice if needed and often for long days.

I thought Cinnamon Trust was just for the elderly, will have a look thank you.

Katinkka Tue 24-Jan-17 16:39:36

What breed of dog is it? I understand why you're struggling, but feel for the dog. I personally use doggy daycare when I'm not feeling well but I rely on someone taking the dog and bringing him home.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 24-Jan-17 16:43:36

You have very sensible reasons for wanting to rehome & only a complete knob would say otherwise. Is your dog a particular breed? If so google the breed rescue and have a chat with them I'm sure they'd be happy to help flowers

tabulahrasa Tue 24-Jan-17 16:44:10

Is the health issue something that's likely to improve?

As in, is this just going to a few months of treatment and it's likely that in 6 months time you'll be stable/improved enough that you'll be able to care for the dog again?

dollydaydream114 Tue 24-Jan-17 16:47:39

I do think that in your case, rehoming might be the best option. I would never, ever say that unless it was a last resort, but unlike many people you are clearly a responsible dog owner who has thought very carefully about what is best for your dog.

If you do decide to rehome her, please don't advertise her online - speak to rehoming shelters who will ensure that she goes to a suitable home with a family who will be able to care for her just as well as you have. If she is a particular breed, you could try to find a breed-specific rescue charity; there are plenty of them out there. They may even know of fostering options so she would be in a household until she was rehomed rather than a kennel.

I really do feel for you - it's a horrible situation to be in.

Eevee77 Tue 24-Jan-17 16:47:48

Could a foster career be an option if it's short term?

honeyroar Tue 24-Jan-17 16:48:42

I usually get really annoyed with people that post these threads, but in your case you have a valid reason. However it would be very sad for both the dog and your DD (and probably for you too) so I would still try The Cinnamon Trust first, even having a chat to them may help and they may give other good advice if they can't help. Best of luck.

tornandhurt Tue 24-Jan-17 16:49:20

Sorry to hear you're unwell op.

I know you mention the breeder has passed away. However, depending on the breed it may be worth looking on Kennel Club for other breeders in the area - a lot of reputable breeders have contacts and waiting lists.

We got our first dog through a breeder who had taken him back - it was perfect for us as at the time we didn't want a pup. Would be worth a go, the breeder will check out any new owner before letting him/her go.

Middleagedmumoftwo Tue 24-Jan-17 16:49:28

Where are you based?

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Jan-17 16:52:23

No absolutely the Cinnamon Trust is absolutely not just for the elderly. Please do consider them. They can help with walking and even fostering of necesary.
No flaming OP. You sound like you have an awful lot on your plate.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 24-Jan-17 16:53:21

Would you find it easier to rehome her so that you know she's OK and you don't have to worry about her? Borrow My Doggy might work but it might take a few tries to find the right person - would that add to the general stress that you're under?

My mum had to rehome a dog due to change of circumstances. No one in their right mind would flame you for this. flowers

FabulouslyGlamourousFerret Tue 24-Jan-17 16:55:33

Maybe someone could take the dog for you when you are having a tough time? I know I would do this for a friend, especially if it is small and well behaved.

BiteyShark Tue 24-Jan-17 16:57:04

You have a very valid reason for rehoming. Wish you all the best flowers

HappyFlappy Tue 24-Jan-17 16:58:59

there are many breed rescues which are able to take dogs of "their" breed (or crosses). In many ways a healthy dog is easier to re-home and will not cost them as much in medical bills or boarding costs, but the revenue from the dog's re-homing will still benefit the rescue. The advantage here is that they know the breed and what they need, and they vet homes to ensure that the dog's requirements will be met.

If, for any reason, the new home doesn't work out, they will take the dog back, so you can be sure she won't end up passed from pillar to post and end up on Gumtree as a "Free to Good Home need Rid ASAP" one day (this is obviously what you are trying to avoid, and rightly so).

If you are able to give some (non-identifying details e.g. breed, what part of the country you are in etc, there may be someone on here who can recommend a specific rescue to you. (The Dog's Trust will never destroy a healthy dog, so they are worth considering, but they may be full as we aren't very far past Christmas and the "chucking out" will be in full flood sad.

If you are able to give further details such as age, neutered, whether ok with cats or not etc, there may even be someone on MumsNet who could offer a home and you might be able to meet and discuss it.

Ido hope you get your little girl safely sorted, and that your health improves to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now