Talk

Advanced search

To not let seller know I am unhappy (eBay)

(22 Posts)
Camillathefirst Tue 24-Jan-17 13:10:20

Condition of item seems good but it's a fair bit smaller and therefore lighter (weight) than expected. I don't want to say what the item is so the seller doesn't recognise me so this might get a bit confusing. Basically, one of the dimensions was given with the item 'in use'. I made the assumption that the item was being used in the usual way, and in the usual way that dimension was fine for my purposes. It would have been just as easy, perhaps easier to give the actual dimensions of the item but they didn't.

The description said the item was 'quite heavy' (subjective I guess, but it's not to me) and postage amount also made me think the item was a lot larger and heavier than it is, but the seller hasn't given any incorrect information.

Anyway, I feel misled, whether this is deliberate or not, I don't know. I will probably give the seller a neutral on the feedback. They have a lot of feedback and a very high rating so I don't think it will affect them much or that they'll even care, but some sellers complain when they aren't told of a problem before feedback? Would you want to know?

user1477282676 Tue 24-Jan-17 13:18:56

I think you should tell us what it is. The likelyhood of you being noticed on here is virtually nil and even if you are...so what!?

AQuietMind Tue 24-Jan-17 13:23:34

As an eBay business seller there is nothing more infuriating than receiving neutral or neg feedback without the buyer getting in touch first and giving me the chance to rectify the situation. I always sort out any problem which may occur and have over 45000 100% positive feedback.

If someone leaves a neg or neutral feedback without getting in touch first I automatically block them from my shop.

cherrycokehead Tue 24-Jan-17 13:25:05

It's not fair to leave neg or neutral feedback without giving the seller a chance to reasonably respond to your complaint

Camillathefirst Tue 24-Jan-17 13:31:39

Thanks for the replies. I don't think they're a business seller, just selling their old household stuff. It probably doesn't make a difference to them though.

Moreisnnogedag Tue 24-Jan-17 13:49:55

I'm desparate to know what it is - go on, they won't care.

zzzzz Tue 24-Jan-17 13:52:42

Just give honest feedback if you want to give any at allconfused

SpongebobRoundPants Tue 24-Jan-17 13:56:41

why wouldn't you contact them first? Not to sound harsh but people like you are the reason I closed my eBay shop. I don't think people realise the effect bad feedback has on a seller.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Tue 24-Jan-17 13:56:57

Is it jewellery? I always ask for specific weights and lengths to avoid getting ripped off

wasonthelist Tue 24-Jan-17 13:59:52

Is it a vibrator?

zzzzz Tue 24-Jan-17 14:02:56

Why WOULD you contact a seller first? <boggle>

WeirdAndPissedOff Tue 24-Jan-17 14:08:22

Zzzzz - to give them a chance to rectify the problem. If it's obvious they've ripped you off - item is poor quality, not as described, cheap knock-off etc I wouldn't bother, but in cases where it could be eg miscommunication or item damaged in post I would contact them first.

zzzzz Tue 24-Jan-17 14:11:00

I would never contact anyone I bought something from unless I was looking to return it. If asked what I thought of an experience I would (if I felt like it) answer. The relationship isn't such that you owe a seller any more than the money you give in exchange for the goods.

Twistmeandturnme Tue 24-Jan-17 14:11:36

If you are disappointed let them know so that they have the opportunity to refund a bit or do something else to make you happy.
If you don't give them that chance then fair enough, but just don't give them feedback at all rather than giving neg or neutral (which is seen as neg by ebay).

Zebrasinpyjamas Tue 24-Jan-17 14:16:55

Check the postage costs on the wrapper plus add in for the cost of the packaging. How far out was their postage fee? If this is significant then reflect that in the postage feedback section.

Ask a neutral person to read the listing description (before you tell them your view if it ) and show them the item. Do they agree it's misleading?
Don't leave negative or neutral feedback just because you misunderstood.only if they were wrong. It effects who might buy from them in the future even if it's not their income.

WyfOfBathe Tue 24-Jan-17 14:17:30

If you're disappointed let them know rather than just giving bad feedback - especially since it seems like they weren't intentionally misleading.

FlyingElbows Tue 24-Jan-17 14:20:31

Why didn't you ask for the actual dimensions before you bought it?

Newbluetattoo Tue 24-Jan-17 14:25:25

My DH sold a roll of fishing line on eBay, but accidentally sent the wrong roll in the package, so was the wrong diameter. Buyer never gets in touch but leaves shitty feedback. Really frustrating, as it would easily have been resolved if he had....

Camillathefirst Tue 24-Jan-17 14:31:41

No, was, not a vibrator! It would be too much effort and cost too much to return. I'd be out of pocket with the postage both ways. As they technically didn't give incorrect information I don't think I can return anyway.

It wasn't anything exciting. It was a pair of pencil pleat curtains. They gave the gathered width, but they could just as easily have given the full width by measuring the hem. It is usual on eBay to give the full width for curtains, especially this type. Pencil pleat curtains are usually double fullness but presumably they were using the curtains with a lower fullness/gather. I wonder if the replies will be different now.

Camillathefirst Tue 24-Jan-17 14:36:51

There was no time FlyingElbows. The auction had almost ended. And no-one bid, so I wasn't depriving anyone else. It didn't cross my mind that they weren't at least double fullness. I can accept that I made assumptions that were wrong, but the postage suggested a much bigger, heavier item, and they themselves said the curtains were heavy. I'd say medium-weight. As soon as I picked up the package I thought, 'Are both curtains inside?'.

Sunnysidegold Tue 24-Jan-17 15:48:14

Hi- i would get in touch ith the seller and explain the confusion in the dimensions.they may offer to refund or pay postage etc.as previous posyers have said- neg or neutral feedback is not great for ellers and most stipulate that if you have a problem contact them first before leving feedback to give them a chance to fix problem.in my early days of ebaying i left negative feedback as the thiught of contacting seller hadnt entered my mind (product was damaged in post) and the seller gave me horrible feedback as a buyer for not following their rules!

TheCustomaryMethod Tue 24-Jan-17 15:56:26

I sympathise. I was looking for curtains on eBay last year and trawled through hundreds - there are some strange and vague ways of listing them ("they fit our bay window" etc.)
I can see why you didn't ask for more specific dimensions as the auction was ending, but given that technically the seller's information wasn't incorrect, and it wasn't their fault that you didn't have time to ask more questions, I would definitely contact them before leaving neutral or negative feedback.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now