Talk

Advanced search

To want more fun in my life?

(17 Posts)
Nothanksdear Tue 24-Jan-17 12:41:20

I don't want to give to many indentifying details.

I have 3 dcs, 2 at school 1 not yet at school.

I think I'm bored, don't work, life mainly revolves around dcs, house, school runs etc. I occasionally go out with or without Dh. Over the christmas break I made the descion not to bother with people who don't bother with me, I usually do the organising.

Up until recently I was ok with this but now I feel like I need more fun. We have a few things organised but pah I need something more.

Winge,winge.

BeachyKeen Tue 24-Jan-17 12:43:41

Do you have any hobbies or passions?

Nothanksdear Tue 24-Jan-17 12:46:55

I go to the gym

redexpat Tue 24-Jan-17 13:11:16

Im going to recommend a book: how to do everything and be happy by peter Jones. It will help you work out what you want to do, and how you want your life to be.

LiveLifeWithPassion Tue 24-Jan-17 13:16:47

What is fun to you?

Meluamelua Tue 24-Jan-17 13:22:15

If you want fun, don't expect it to come to you. Work out what it means to you and focus on fitting it in to your family's time scale and budget.

TheNaze73 Tue 24-Jan-17 13:25:07

The word "fun" is hideous however, moving on.....

Rather than festering, create the opportunity. Fun to some would be national trust membership or cross stitch, to others, it'd bore the arse off of them.

Do you know what you want?

Nothanksdear Tue 24-Jan-17 13:27:55

Thanks all. What word should be used instead of fun?confused

Nope, no idea what I want.

Niskayuna Tue 24-Jan-17 13:35:13

Make a list.

Example, my list of "stuff I want to do" (regardless of kids, childcare etc...) includes travel, a West End show, couple of films at the cinema, couple of weekends away to see Places I Want To See, walks, some places in the city I want to go on dates to...

OK, so, there's the list.

Now write next to the stuff on the list how you can do it. Not 'why I can't do this', but how you can. So, tick tick these two will need a babysitter, can a grandparent step in? Tick, this needs airfare, can we afford it? Tick tick, this weekend away, can we go by train, is it cheaper etc....

You just gotta identify the fun stuff you want, then plan how to get it.

Niskayuna Tue 24-Jan-17 13:36:29

If you don't know, you'll have to google around a bit :p

I take classes. Just about any class that comes up to be honest. I've been in a language class for 6 months and am popping into the village to take a calligraphy course. I've done fitness classes, dance, photography, craft, choir and art. No commitment, no big thing, just fun and exploring. Eventually something clicks, but in the end you just have fun doing it.

LiveLifeWithPassion Tue 24-Jan-17 14:04:19

Fun to me is getting out and about. It's getting on a train or jumping in the car and visiting somewhere I've never been.
ice skating,
kite flying
swimming
running
Bike rides
playing tennis in the park
Going out with friends
Chasing the kids around pretending we re monsters
Getting into a box set or film

that kind of fun is easy to fit into every day life. With or without children. With friends it on my own.

mishmash1979 Tue 24-Jan-17 14:14:08

I too have begun to feel like this. Have started to dwell on my life and where I am at and other than raising my children (which is my greatest achievement in life and I would never regret this) I feel I have nothing to show for my life. Hubbie is fantastically successful in his career, a great sportsman and extremely intelligent. I just feel bored and unfulfilled and like I have achieved little in the past 20 yrs. My kids are all at school now but a job would be tricky as one of my kids has medical issues which require time off school and appointments. My GP friend said it's common at my age (perimenopausal) which is why lots of women either become depressed or have affairs at this time of their life!!! I am trying exercise out of the home, volunteering and reading more to get out of my rut.

ellalouise123 Tue 24-Jan-17 14:50:10

I'm interested in this thread. I'm a bit like this, fed up with a short attention span for things. I don't know what I want to 'do', I've had a string of successful jobs and done well in all of them but always end up moving on and feel like I have nothing to show for my efforts. I know what you mean. I don't know what my 'point' is! That sounds really depressive and i'm not, I have a lovely DH and friends but feel very unfulfilled.

Nothanksdear Tue 24-Jan-17 16:51:58

flowers for other posters feeling like this. My Dh has high flying career and I'm very proud of him. I'm also very proud of my children. But like other posters have said bar my children and supporting Dh I don't feel I have achieved much for ME.

Nothanksdear Tue 24-Jan-17 16:55:44

Als think I massively need a break from everything.

liz70 Tue 24-Jan-17 17:20:14

"Hubbie is fantastically successful in his career, a great sportsman and extremely intelligent."

He couldn't have done all that without you to raise and care for his and your children. #scolds mishmash

NotCitrus Tue 24-Jan-17 18:42:42

I like writing a sort of unambitious bucket list regularly, as every time DP or friends and I will then realise that actually, we really could do X, and something cool gets organised. So about a year ago I put "go on a sleeper train" and mentioned that dd was obsessed by pictures of one in her pop-up book, and friend emailed a few days later saying "Scotrail sleepers can be booked for £20. Interested?" Ended up with a fab long weekend which the kids adored.

[cross post with others]
Also DP and I organise a date night at least once a month, on general principle. It's amazing how often we end up spending little time together even though we live in the same house!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now