Talk

Advanced search

Car seat help

(10 Posts)
Kidspetsandcakes Tue 24-Jan-17 12:20:20

I know this isn't really an aibu post but I've spent the last 5 minutes looking at the talk categories wondering where else to ask this, please bear with me.

I have an almost 1 year old dd. She had a tongue tie that went undisguised for ages and so is really small weight wise (currently just under 17lbs) but she's quite long (tall?). The problem is this, the top of her head is now starting to peek over the top of her rear facing car seat, but she doesn't weigh enough for the front facing one. Should I change the car seats over anyway or should i leave her in the rear facing one?

I've searched the internet and all the sites I've looked at seem to say that when the upper weight or height limit is reached (which ever comes first) to change them over, but I can't find anything about what to do if they haven't reached the lower weight limit for the next car seat yet... please help, it's driving me nuts..

CatsRidingRollercoasters Tue 24-Jan-17 12:58:51

If her head is higher than the car seat then the seat is too small and she needs a bigger one.

What seat do you have? My youngest is almost 1 and has been in the second stage seat for a couple of months. It's a 2 way Pearl erf one which is actually suitable from birth if you use a special insert, so would be fine for your dd.

randomsabreuse Tue 24-Jan-17 13:06:29

You need an extended rear facing or i-size type seat. We had to switch from our (borrowed from family) infant carrier to an 0+ & 1 seat at 9 months because my DD was a wretched little fiddler and kept getting her arms out through the gap made by her concave waistline so we needed the 5 point harness. She is also short backed and long legged so we're not yet at the line where we could turn her forward at 18 months (very unlikely we will for a long time).

I-size is height based which might help or hinder. Might be worth phoning the in car safety centre for advice if you're not local enough to visit - proper advice is very useful if you aren't in the middle of the centil charts!

DesignedForLife Tue 24-Jan-17 13:09:28

Get an extended rear facing seat. Something like joie stages which turns around later on will last her till she's out of car seats

welshweasel Tue 24-Jan-17 13:14:36

She's way too small to forward face. Keep her in her current seat til you can get a rear facing toddler seat. Also recommend the joie seats (stages or every stage).

Kidspetsandcakes Tue 24-Jan-17 13:16:34

Thanks guys I will look at extended rear facing seats and try to get some advice.

Mol1628 Tue 24-Jan-17 13:18:53

You definitely shouldn't be forward facing a one year old. If you go to a decent car seat place they should be able to give you advice.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Tue 24-Jan-17 13:20:24

Yy to extended rear facing. Safer too. My dd is light too, we have the britax dusl fix which does both and also swivels - highly recommended! It's pricey, but should last years

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Tue 24-Jan-17 13:21:01

Dualfix*

Artandco Tue 24-Jan-17 13:25:37

Look at cybex sirona, it's suitable birth -4/5 years old rear facing, so she will def fit now and get a good few more years out of it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now