Talk

Advanced search

To not go to the doctor for this

(12 Posts)
ThanksForAllTheFish Tue 24-Jan-17 12:07:39

I've got a bad cold - possibly flu. Spent 2 days in bed with it last week but feeling much better now, just tired if I'm out and about for more than a couple of hours.

My symptoms started 10 days ago, been through the runny nose, congested, body aches, shivers etc and most have cleared up. I've still got a cough. The cough comes and goes but I've had much worse and I don't think it's one that I would need to see the doctor about. I would say in myself I feel ok, just the usual way you feel towards the end of a cold.

The issue is my temperature. I've been running a fever for 10 days straight now. It's been as high as 40.3 but averaging about 39.3 Paracetamol and ibuprofen take it down to around 38.5 for a couple of hours and it climbs back up again. I've just gone and bought some aspirin to see if that does any better. I do feel quite warm but not feverish if that makes any sense.

DH thinks I should see the doctor re: my temperature, I'm thinking it would be a waste of time as there's nothing they can really do other than advise painkillers to lower it. Colds are viral so it's not like antibiotics would help. I've been on the NHS website but all the advice re: fevers is for children. I'm inclined to wait another few days to see if it's cleared. AIBU to not go to the doctor for this? (Not yet anyway)

Oh should also mention I've been using a digital ear thermometer, the batteries have not long been changed and I've tested it on DH and DD and the are coming out at around 36.6 and 36.8 so it's working fine.

lougle Tue 24-Jan-17 12:23:01

You need to go to the GP because a cough plus fever for that length of time indicates a possible infection. At the hospital we'd be concerned at 38c, and you're consistently above that.

BingoBingoBingoBango Tue 24-Jan-17 12:24:25

With a temperature of 39-40 for ten days, yes I would see a doctor.

EpoxyResin Tue 24-Jan-17 12:26:12

If you're very resistant to going in couldn't you at least request a phone consultation as a first step?

ThanksForAllTheFish Tue 24-Jan-17 12:37:38

Ok I will call for an appointment then. I'm not really averse to going to the doctor, I think I was just going with the fact I don't actually feel all that ill. I've been hanging on in the hope my temperature will start to come down in its own. If it is an infection I suppose I will need to get treatment. I've not long had a course of antibiotics - 3 weeks ago (for dental reasons) so was wanting to avoid more if possible.

DesignedForLife Tue 24-Jan-17 13:11:57

Temperature that long then yes I think you should be seen

10storeylovesong Tue 24-Jan-17 13:35:14

I dragged myself to my GP yesterday after 2 weeks of similar symptoms. I put it off as thought it was a waste of time as always told it's viral. Within seconds GP was writing a prescription for antiobiotics and an inhaler and telling me off for not going sooner. Just go and get seen!

ThanksForAllTheFish Wed 25-Jan-17 14:05:47

Ok I'm booked in to see the doctor this afternoon. My temperature did briefly drop back to normal range (37.3) about 2am this morning but has gone back up to between 38.5 and 39.1 today.

Thanks for the advice.

BingoBingoBingoBango Thu 26-Jan-17 11:10:53

How are you OP, what did the GP say?

ThanksForAllTheFish Thu 26-Jan-17 12:52:33

I'm a bit better today. Temp has dropped to 37.6 / 37.7 but was 38.1 when I woke up this morning. The doctor didn't think it sounds like anything to worry about as I have no other symptoms that would indicate a bacterial infection. There is a pretty nasty viral thing going about our area at the moment so she thinks it's just that. She advised to keep taking paracetamol until my temperature returns to normal.

CaspoFungin Thu 26-Jan-17 13:02:02

I've had a similar thing but don't have a thermometer so haven't known my temperature, I imagine that's the case for a lot of people. Sounds like you had a cold type thing, if you're feeling like you are getting better perhaps stop obsessing about your temperature.

CaspoFungin Thu 26-Jan-17 13:02:15

*obsessing about checking your

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now