Talk

Advanced search

Any acoustic guitar players around?

(14 Posts)
Eatingsnow Tue 24-Jan-17 10:20:50

DD (20) has started guitar lessons and is currently borrowing a classical guitar from a friend. She finds it too large and also would prefer a steel string instrument.

Can anyone recommend any slightly smaller acoustic steel string guitar with a slightly smaller (easy to hold) body than average. Alternatively would a 3/4 guitar or travel guitar work? She tried this www.gak.co.uk/en/Sigma-00R-1STS-SB/78111?gclid=COfLxsCt2dECFQbjGwodl6wERw at a store and quite liked it. She saved up and is able to pay up to £400.00i necessary but less would be better. Thank you.

ZanyMobster Tue 24-Jan-17 10:30:18

Hi, my 10 yr old uses this one www.bax-shop.co.uk/electro-acoustic-steel-string-guitar/ibanez-aeg10ii-bk-electro-acoustic-guitar-black?gclid=Cj0KEQiAk5zEBRD9lfno2dek0tsBEiQAWVKyuM--wTdhKGOm2FZYrmwVDwds2eceXKoUbbLBKy0GJ7UaAvlF8P8HAQ it is a slim full size guitar so is quite a bit smaller, it is an electro acoustic, steel strings, but you don't really need an amp or anything so does the same job.

Only thing is, I would imagine for classical guitar nylon strings are better. DS has a fender classical guitar also (3/4) for lessons then plays the acoustic guitar for pop stuff.

BertieBotts Tue 24-Jan-17 10:35:41

Classical guitars have very wide necks. Do you have a music or guitar shop nearby? The best thing to do would be to go and play lots of different guitars until she finds one she likes. Definitely don't order one online. (I know you said the one in the link she saw in store.) She could also look at second hand guitars on places like gumtree.

Perhaps the guitar teacher can recommend a guitar shop. Often guitarists who have been playing a while know where the best places to go are. A good guitar shop will have staff who really know their stuff and are happy to talk necks and strings and instruments and styles all day!

NovaArt3mis Tue 24-Jan-17 10:42:25

I have this - www.gak.co.uk/en/yamaha-apx500-iii-electro-acoustic-bl/99381?gclid=Cj0KEQiAk5zEBRD9lfno2dek0tsBEiQAWVKyuHEY9e5UswxVvQZScrrRNIfv70WvDbHRt7jYY3PUjrMaAnIF8P8HAQ
It's a lot easier to hold than some of the others I've tried as it's slimmer. And like Zany it's electro acoustic so could plug into an amp if she wanted.

Eatingsnow Tue 24-Jan-17 11:00:17

there are two guitar shops we can get to relatively easily to try out instruments.

She seems to be a fast learner but struggles with the width of the neck and reaching or changing between certain chords.

She was also considering changing to a baritone uke possibly... but has paid for a course of ten session so will stick with the guitar for now. Any views on e.g. electro acoustic (as linked above) v baritone uke also welcome. She is ding it purely for her own enjoyment, now musical aspirations, playing in a band or anything. More a positive experience, also in art to help her with anxiety issues.

SmilingButClueless Tue 24-Jan-17 11:10:25

It all depends on the music she wants to play.

If she wants to play classical guitar, she needs a nylon stringed guitar really; a good 3/4 guitar could work.

If it's more popular / folk music, then steel strings make more sense. The neck on that type of guitar is also narrower so a full-size might be OK.

I have both types - I can't play some chords on the classical guitar as my hands aren't big enough, but I can't play classical music properly on my steel stringed guitar as the strings vibrate too much and are too close together.

The most important thing, really, is that she tries a few out and finds the shape & string combination she likes. A decent music shop will be able to help. Her teacher may also have some ideas.

mikia Tue 24-Jan-17 11:16:20

I have a half sized, 3/4 and full size guitar. I would not recommend anything other than full size guitar, it's only hard because she's a new learner. The sound quality is compromised and she'll find it a struggle if she ever needs to play a full size.

I'm 5'2" and very slim with extremely small hands. I had a Fender acoustic which I found much too large, I currently play Stagg SA30DCE which is perfect. It's electro acoustic so you can plug it into an amp but there is a non-electric version (SA30D) for cheaper if she won't ever be playing gigs or needing to amplify. But I think it's worth the extra.

BertieBotts Tue 24-Jan-17 11:24:54

I agree that some of the difficulty will be because she's new. I have a full size classical and am slim/petite so have small hands but it's got easier. There are hand stretching exercises on youtube which can help.

BertieBotts Tue 24-Jan-17 11:25:16

I found this one helpful. www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSrfB7JIzxY

Eatingsnow Tue 24-Jan-17 11:34:30

thank you all thanks

Definitely popular / folk music not classical music. Based on this and that steel string acoustic guitars have slimmer necks, I'll suggest she looks at those. Thanks also for the hand stretching exercise video.

Any views on Uke v guitar (sorry that probably has been done to death) but would really appreciate opinions.

Eatingsnow Tue 24-Jan-17 11:36:25

Uke v guitar if learning and playing (and possibly a bit of sining) is mainly for her own fun and well being..

BertieBotts Tue 24-Jan-17 12:23:57

I think it's just preference. I prefer the sound of a guitar to a uke. But Dodie Clark (youtube) plays the ukelele because she found it easier on her hands and her music is nice. I would prefer an acoustic actually but didn't really have much choice when I got mine.

Eatingsnow Tue 24-Jan-17 12:43:53

yy to Dodie Clark she has a lovely sining voice

BatSegundo Tue 24-Jan-17 13:01:23

DS has a Gretsch G9500. It's a steel string parlour guitar, smaller than full size. He's 9 and it's a little big for him, but he'll grow into it. It's got a lovely warm tone and stays in tune. Really good value for money (approx £180, we got it a little cheaper). Sounds like more expensive instrument. Steel strings will be a little tougher on her fingers but she'll soon get used to it. We also have a Baritone uke. Very nice, but a totally different sound. If she's doing it for relaxation, I'd say the guitar lends itself more readily to leisurely strumming and has the more mellow sound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now