Talk

Advanced search

To have some sort of ceremony for binning my mooncup?

(29 Posts)
Deadnettle Tue 24-Jan-17 09:49:44

I was thinking something along the lines of muttering "thank god I don't need you anymore" whilst dropping it in the bin, followed by eating cheesecake.

The most important part of the ceremony would be the cheesecake.

I haven't needed my mooncup since I had a hysterectomy 7 months ago, but I am strangely reluctant to bin it. I also don't need 1 and 1/2 boxes of sanitary towels, the pregnancy test or anything else period related that's hiding in the bathroom cupboard.

DJBaggySmalls Tue 24-Jan-17 09:53:17

There should be a full moon. As a symbol of some blather or other.

ScrumpyBetty Tue 24-Jan-17 09:57:22

Definitely cheesecake. And wine. You could say a few words in remembrance to your departed mooncup if you want. And then drink more wine.

HazelBite Tue 24-Jan-17 09:57:52

When I changed my HRT last year my periods finally stopped, its taken me 10 months to throw away all the various items of san pro. Its a weird feeling when you suddenly realise that you just don't need it anymore, and never will again.

StayingZen Tue 24-Jan-17 10:51:05

I binned the mooncup itself without a backward glance, but you may wish to consider donating any leftover sanitary towels or tampons to your local homeless shelter or women's refuge. I rang up rather diffidently to offer mine the result of years of buying "another packet just in case" and they were very happy to take them. I double-wrapped them in black bin bags I told you there were a lot thrust them into the arms of the hairy men smoking on the hostel steps and ran for it, scarlet. But what is a little embarrassment when you're helping people?

Strongmummy Tue 24-Jan-17 10:53:12

You need 1) full moon 2) howling wolf 3) a fire (don't wear synthetics or else you'll go up). Take moon cup, sanitary products and dance around the fire singing "be gone, be gone, I consign thee to the flames". That should do it. Only then may you eat the cheesecake. Good luck

Strongmummy Tue 24-Jan-17 10:53:53

Also donating said products to charity as pp suggested will also appease the gods .....

AnaG1ypta Tue 24-Jan-17 10:56:37

I'd leave all disposables in a work toilet if nothing else. Don't just bin them.

Eatingcheeseontoast Tue 24-Jan-17 10:57:52

Will women's refuge really take sanpro products - I've got loads brought before I discovered mooncups. All that wasted money over the years!

DJBaggySmalls Tue 24-Jan-17 11:00:14

I thought you had to dance naked round the fire, cloth-ed only in mud? And waving a spear decorated with the ears of your fallen enemies.

ClusterFuckTadpole Tue 24-Jan-17 11:00:46

Sorry to derail, but did the refuge talk half boxes? (tampons wrapped obviously)
I have loads I could get rid off post menstrual cup

CremeBrulee Tue 24-Jan-17 11:09:11

Definitely a Viking burial of some kind. Stuff some of the unwanted sanpro in the Mooncup, lash it to a handy plywood model boat and set fire to it on the local pond.

Or just bin it.

Deadnettle Tue 24-Jan-17 11:09:38

I'm only binning the mooncup and maybe the pregnancy test. I should have said in my op that I'm going to give the sanitary towels away. I was thinking of donating them to the food bank around the corner if they take them.

The next full moon is the 11th february and I can't wait that long because the cheesecake will go off.

Would a non-howling poodle do instead of a wolf?

I totally support a fire because its 8C in my sitting room!

Deadnettle Tue 24-Jan-17 11:10:40

Burning a mooncup could end rather badly so I'll just bin it I think. Less effort involved.

StayingZen Tue 24-Jan-17 11:12:28

I gave them all the individually wrapped santowels and tampons plus anything not individually wrapped that was in a sealed box. I don't know how much they kept, though, obviously.

ThroneofJudgypants Tue 24-Jan-17 11:32:16

You need to sip mead out of the mooncup at full moon before burying it in the garden. It's the only approved way.

Deadnettle Tue 24-Jan-17 11:47:43

You need to sip mead out of the mooncup at full moon before burying it in the garden.

Um, no.

Bubspub Tue 24-Jan-17 11:54:57

Really good suggestion about homeless shelters needing sanitary products. Where I live, at Christmas there was a collection called 'handbags for the homeless' where you filled a handbag with lady things, tampons, sanitary towels, deodorant, face wipes etc, as these are the things that don't get donated very often to the food banks but that there is a great need for. The scheme was set up by a woman who was at some point homeless and realised that this is a real problem for women of menstruating age. So there's definitely a need out there if anyone is reading this and contemplating whether a donation of sanitary products would be useful x

Deadnettle Tue 24-Jan-17 12:05:53

I'll try and find out where the nearest homeless shelter is and see if they want the sanitary towels. I know we don't have one in our tiny town.

I've just tested the cheesecake to see if its suitable and it is! I am still a little queasy at the thought of drinking out of my mooncup though.

Bubspub Tue 24-Jan-17 12:19:50

Haha "a toast!" shock

helpimitchy Tue 24-Jan-17 12:36:48

Put a small amount of soil into it and plant either a tiny plant or some seeds smile

You'd have to build a stand for it though.

Deadnettle Tue 24-Jan-17 12:45:16

That's a good idea helpimitchy but I don't think its for me.

I still haven't binned it and I'm not really sure why.

AlpacaPicnic Tue 24-Jan-17 12:47:55

Surely the only acceptable ceremony is a viking burial?
You'll need a model boat made of matchsticks and a river...

Deadnettle Tue 24-Jan-17 12:58:20

I did have visions of a viking funeral but I imagine my mooncup would just end up polluting the river.

Strongmummy Tue 24-Jan-17 13:54:40

The poodle will work, yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now