Advanced search

Should I bother a GP with this?

(10 Posts)
IAmSpartacussssssssss Mon 23-Jan-17 11:03:36

I'm a regular sufferer of cystitis - I'd say every few months I get a bout of it.

I usually ignore it and it goes away after a day or three.

Today it's come on suddenly - I've got that weird tingly cystitis feeling down below but I'm not having the urgent need to pee.

But when I do go , it's painful - not terrible but stingy .

I also have a dull ache in my sides and when I've wiped (TMI) there's the faintest bit of blood .

I feel a bit run down but not overly so.

Whenever I have been to the doctors - there is always white cells and small amount of blood in my urine but then the tests come back clear for infection confused

So I don't bother going any more .

I have a feeling this will stop as soon as it has started and by the time I get an appointment with the GP it will be gone .

Given the history - Would you ride it out ?

MollyRedskirts Mon 23-Jan-17 11:04:46

No, I'd go. Your GP needs to know how frequently you're getting this.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Mon 23-Jan-17 11:08:23

Go to the GP. Have you had any investigations for the blood previously?

PollyPerky Mon 23-Jan-17 11:10:57

I think you need to try to link when this happens with things you are doing and more...

if you are 40+ and have any sign of peri meno, you might be suffering due to loss of oestrogen which affects the lining of the bladder and urethra. This can cause symptoms like an infection when it's not.

Other links might be sex - bruising - or some kinds of food and drink if your bladder is sensitive. These include spicy foods, alcohol, tea, coffee, fizzy drinks, citrus foods and chocolate.

I can recommend the website /charity COB foundation so it might help to have a read and check out IC / Painful Bladder Syndrome which is a condition that feels like an infection but isn't.

PollytheDolly Mon 23-Jan-17 11:11:04

Are you on hormonal contraceptives?

This is too regular. I had at least 20 infections over 18 months due to progesterone intolerance.

I feel your pain, it's miserable xx

Allthewaves Mon 23-Jan-17 11:25:01

I'd go to gp if your getting regular cystitis. Perhaps take urine sample now before you start drinking loads

TarragonChicken Mon 23-Jan-17 11:53:16

You get blood in your urine , which doesn't seem to be caused by infection and your GP hasn't investigated further? shock

Go to your GP. You need a urological referral. Either you need investigation for recurrent UTIs or something else is going on.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 24-Jan-17 23:18:14

Did you see your GP? Are you feeling any better?

As Tarragon says, you need a urology referral if you have not yet had any investigations for this.

HerBluebiro Wed 25-Jan-17 07:32:46

Have you seen blood before?

If not this is a big change. Go to your gp.

If you have. And it is not caused by infection (or if, at certain ages it is) you need to be referred urgently to specialist.

There's loads it could be. Since of which are scary options.

If it was just a day of pain I wouldn't do anything. But it's not. So yeah you need to go back.

HicDraconis Wed 25-Jan-17 08:28:00

If there is always blood in your urine but never infection then you need referral to a renal physician. You need more blood tests, urine tests (24h collection for starters), and possibly imaging. You may need a referral to a urologist to look for things like stones.

You absolutely need to go to your GP. Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: