Talk

Advanced search

To ask, if you have an old house and wooden floors, how often do you mop?

(36 Posts)
user1477282676 Mon 23-Jan-17 09:01:40

And do you vacuum or sweep?

We're newly installed in this house and love it but it gets so dirty! I hate carpets so was happy that the house was full of nothing but original floorboards but my God! I mop daily and each time the water's gross!

I have been vacuuming but swept instead today...what's best?

I feel like they're never clean.

keekaw Mon 23-Jan-17 09:02:53

Sounds like they need sealing if they are that dirty.

acornsandnuts Mon 23-Jan-17 09:06:05

I have s very dusty house which a carpet would settle into but just sits on the wooden floor. I Vaccum with a hard wood setting then mop with this every few days. www.jmldirect.com/cleaning/mops/super-mop-pro-ultra-absorbing-self-wringing-floor-cleaning-sponge-mop/ It drys so quickly.

daydreamnation Mon 23-Jan-17 09:06:17

Before I admit this, can I just say I'm very clean, tidy and house proud but I've never owned a mop! I think they're filthy things, I just sweep or hoover and wipe up any marks or spills with a cloth. Our floors are spotless but we all prefer no shoes on in the house and I think this makes a huge difference! We're all barefoot or slippers but obviously don't insist guests do the same!

GinIsIn Mon 23-Jan-17 09:07:48

We run the Hoover over them a few times a week and then mop once or twice. I found the method floor cleaner really handy - you just squirt it straight onto the floors then chase it round with a wet mop, which takes all the faff of bucket, wring, was, rince out of it.

user1477282676 Mon 23-Jan-17 09:13:26

Daydream I know what you mean, but I think if you get a good one which is really wringable, then soak in a bit of dettol after each use, they're fine.

The house is large and I'd be all day wiping up the floor because of two kids running in and out of the garden which is a bit messy.

user1477282676 Mon 23-Jan-17 09:13:50

Keekaw I think you're right. They're quite worn. What a pain!

R2G Mon 23-Jan-17 09:16:36

Hoover and steam mop once a week. They are good if you don't like mops as you remove the pad and wash

citykat Mon 23-Jan-17 09:17:15

Turtle mats are your friend. Mop 1x per week. Sweep 2x. (More in kitchen obvs)

EZA15 Mon 23-Jan-17 09:18:03

Off to the supermarket to buy some method - if not I'll try that self wringing mop. I do have a steam cleaner but panic sometimes that it will ruin my floors?

cherrycrumblecustard Mon 23-Jan-17 09:19:21

I sweep. I mop with the wooden floor cleaning thing maybe once a week?

user1477282676 Mon 23-Jan-17 09:19:36

What's a turtle mat? Off to google.

taptonaria27 Mon 23-Jan-17 09:20:16

Vacuum and mop once per week, mop head goes straight in washing machine after use.
I second turtle mats and no shoes in the house

user1477282676 Mon 23-Jan-17 09:20:31

Ah...I see. I'm in Oz. No Turtle Mats here. sad

MuseumGardens Mon 23-Jan-17 09:20:39

I vacuum and spot clean if something gets dropped using either floor wipes or method wood floor cleaner

MuseumGardens Mon 23-Jan-17 09:21:16

Have shoes off. I sometimes do whole floor with method

MuseumGardens Mon 23-Jan-17 09:21:41

But not very often

Sweepingchange Mon 23-Jan-17 09:22:45

(Big old house with wooden floors throughout here.) I personally find them very easy to maintain (and have a dog). Hoover 2/3 times a week and mop once/twice. Have ours professional ly cleaned/sanded in parts/sealed every six years or so.

Brightsmoke Mon 23-Jan-17 09:25:49

I do similar to Daydream. Although I own a mop, I don't use it much. I scrub the floors fully once of twice a year. Old wooden floors are always going to have some dirt type colour come off them. Maybe get them sealed and varnished to stop the muck getting into the grains? I say this with no kids yet (though I do have a (exceptionally clean) dog), so I may change my attitude when the baby arrives!

InTheDessert Mon 23-Jan-17 09:29:17

Hoover and steem mop once a week, sweep and mop once a week (me and DH have different preferences)

Definately get "different" dirt up with the different methods

LeNil Mon 23-Jan-17 09:34:09

Varnished floors I sweep/Hoover everyday and mop about once a week. The dining room floor is waxed so I maybe mop once or twice a year, but wax and polish it every month or so, if I can be bothered. When we moved in I sanded down all the floors by hand, centuries of wax and dirty came up off the dining room floor, maybe you need to sand them down? If the floorboards are untreated then the dirt will just "sink" in. Crawling babies are very good at buffing up wooden floors.

Elphame Mon 23-Jan-17 09:35:36

Old houses are dusty - I have exposed stonework everywhere which despite being sealed still seems to spread dust everywhere.

I hoover twice a week and steam mop once. Steam mops are a godsend!

Mindtrope Mon 23-Jan-17 09:36:36

daydream- no mop?

You use wipes?

I live in a large house with a huge wooden downstairs. I would be on my knees for a week if I tried to clean that with wipes.

TrueBlueYorkshire Mon 23-Jan-17 09:52:16

I use a really powerful vacuum and mop once every 2 weeks to remove any marks. Are the floors varnished because they shouldn't get any dirtier than any other type of flooring? In fact i find them cleaner as all the fluff gets pushed into the expansion gaps and then picked up during the vacuum. My bathroom is laminate and i find it much harder to keep looking sparkly.

ShizerMinelli Mon 23-Jan-17 10:00:46

Our house is the same. I bought a Dyson hand held, which seems permanently attached to me, and a steam mop. Maybe look at a reseal though - we had ours done and made huge difference. Congratulations on the new home - and welcome to the world of constant dusting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now