Talk

Advanced search

to constantly call the police?

(80 Posts)
hibbledobble Sun 22-Jan-17 21:36:48

I call the police whenever I see illegal behaviour which is/ can potentially endanger other. Given my locality this is very regularly. This includes fights, joy riding, drunk driving etc. I don't bother reporting drug dealing/illegal drug use, as I know the police don't have the time to deal with it in my area. (Though I did report the local very well known drug den)

When I call I give a clear location and description but it seems like the call handlers aren't keen to take the details, and I never receive any follow up to my calls. I wonder if I have been put on some sort of nuisance caller list now! Though everything I have been calling about has been genuine, and to my mind serious.

Aibu to call in?

mytinselsinatangle Sun 22-Jan-17 21:43:13

Do you call the non emergency line? I have done this twice and both times I've received a follow up call

empirerecordsrocked Sun 22-Jan-17 21:44:48

I've had a follow up call the two times I've called non emergency - once because kids were on the train station roof which is fragile corrugated iron and the second because there was a massive carving knife dumped behind a wall.

Just how much are you calling?

PossumInAPearTree Sun 22-Jan-17 21:45:16

It's sad that I guess the police don't have the time to deal with it.

kilmuir Sun 22-Jan-17 21:47:15

Drug dealing/ using might be cause if fights etc

hibbledobble Sun 22-Jan-17 21:47:32

I have at times, and was advised to in future call the emergency line if it required an urgent response, which for the most part it does.

I had a particularly bad experience calling the non-emergency line once, when they told me they would not attend to a flasher who was flashed me and a toddler, and if Iwas sserious about reporting it I would have stayed next to him waiting for police to attend. They refused to believe that I didn't want to expose my toddler to that behaviour any further.

Katy07 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:52:04

They wanted you to stay with a flasher?!!!! shock Even without a toddler I'd be moving swiftly away and in the direction of other people....

hibbledobble Sun 22-Jan-17 21:53:43

empire yes I have had to call about children with a knife too, it's very sad, but I considered it absolutely a police matter. I called the school too.

It's hard to give an average of how often I call: it's at least once a month, but has in the past been several times I'm a week.

TheAtheist Sun 22-Jan-17 21:56:38

Is this near to your home?

If so, I'd suggest being very careful, when you come to sell, you will need to provide any prospective buyers details of any complaints you have made about your neighbours.

Amaried Sun 22-Jan-17 21:56:43

I think you have been put on a nuisance list..
don't think there is much you can do about it unfortunately
Having said that calling several times a month strikes me as excessive.

Redglitter Sun 22-Jan-17 21:59:38

You wouldn't necessarily receive any follow up. I'm a police despatcher and quite honestly just don't have time to phone every reporter back with a follow up call. You'll receive a call if the police need to speak to you as a witness or get more information from you. Not getting any follow up doesn't mean your call is treated in any way differently.

Oh and there's no such thing as a nuisance caller list smile

someonestolemynick Sun 22-Jan-17 22:01:08

I have lived in some very rough areas and have never called the police.
I think you might have been a lite overzealous and might not be taken seriously when you require police help.

CanadaMoose91 Sun 22-Jan-17 22:05:55

If your area is as grim as it sounds, the police are aware and likely have a patrol whenever possible. I understand that you want to keep safe and therefore contact the authorities, but multiple times a month (or a week!) is excessive. Ringing about the flasher obviously has to happen, but it genuinely sounds like you're sitting at your window 24/7 trying to play tattle-tale.

Obviously the police need to take you seriously, but it's too much. You're risking your family's safety by ringing so often and being labelled a nuisance.

WaitrosePigeon Sun 22-Jan-17 22:06:45

You shouldn't be using 999, no.

ToadsforJustice Sun 22-Jan-17 22:07:37

I don't the think the police have the resources to deal with every phone call. Why don't you email Crime Stoppers instead?

picklemepopcorn Sun 22-Jan-17 22:09:49

I've been told to call 111 (101?) whenever I see antisocial behaviour, as they want to log the occurrences so they can spot patterns and allocate resources appropriately.

As you can see, I haven't for a while... Round here it's motorbikes driven on pavements etc.

SummitLove Sun 22-Jan-17 22:10:48

999 in an emergency only. So for the kid with knife situation you gave I would call 101 unless it was being brandished or I overhead them threatening someone with it.

Is it possible that some of the times you've called 101 you've jumped the gun and maybe a crime hasn't actually been committed. I think perhaps the police may be a little fed up if you are not getting follow up from them - could this be because you are now "known" to provide some information which is offset or misleading?

Sometimes when you are in a grim area people make a big issue out of things that are actually just everyday things. Police simply don't have the resources or time.

waterfallrainbow Sun 22-Jan-17 22:12:22

You sound like a great citizen. Personally I live in a really densely populated area that can get a bit lively at times, and I've had to learn only to get involved if something is happening right next to me, as the police seem to get about 12 calls per crime. But you shouldn't feel guilty about it. That's what you pay your taxes for, and if no one called the police, where would you be? However, some of my less savoury neighbours hate me now as they know that i do report things. Still, I'll take that as a compliment. At least it means they don't commit crimes in front of me!

SummitLove Sun 22-Jan-17 22:13:39

the emergency line if it required an urgent response, which for the most part it does.

Please can you clarify what situations fall into "for the most part"?

hks Sun 22-Jan-17 22:14:43

i phoned 101 to report a man wandering about on the middle of the rd obviously out of it on whatever .. We live on a busy rd and cars, taxi's etc were swerving to avoid him on a busy rd .. no one turned up this went on for nearly an hr he even picked up a can of emulsion / paint that was lying in a neighbours garden out and splashed it over a parked car ..the owner chased him and then spent ages trying to wash it off .. no follow up call but when i phoned 999 to report a man lying in the middle of rd they came quick but phoned beforehand for an update

GlitterGlue Sun 22-Jan-17 22:16:58

Surely a fight and drunk driving require an urgent response?

Iamcheeseman Sun 22-Jan-17 22:17:03

Where do you live? I need to remember not to go there!
I've needed to call the police twice in my life on 999 and I've reported a hit and run to non emergency. 3 calls in the last 15 years!

GlitterGlue Sun 22-Jan-17 22:18:12

Or should drunk driving be 101? I don't know any more!

SummitLove Sun 22-Jan-17 22:18:52

GlitterGlue Depends on the fight really, doesn't it? Fight with a weapon is very different to scuffle on the street between two teenagers.

WyfOfBathe Sun 22-Jan-17 22:19:25

I've only called 101 once, and they sent a police car to the location straight away (it was on my road so I saw the car) but they didn't give me a call back, so maybe some forces don't routinely call back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now