Talk

Advanced search

to get upset by parents who...........

(61 Posts)
GhostOfMumsnet Sat 24-Feb-07 19:24:57

leave their children in the car and then go into the other supermarket to do their shopping?

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 24-Feb-07 19:27:27

Depends how old they are. I'm sure you wouldn't be upset by my 13 and 15 year old being left

GhostOfMumsnet Sat 24-Feb-07 19:28:21

no should've said children under 6

SweetyDarling Sat 24-Feb-07 19:29:09

Is that legal? They'd be arrested in Aus!

GhostOfMumsnet Sat 24-Feb-07 19:30:08

If it isn't then it should be. I'm getting fed up sitting in my car at ASDA with my sleeping kids watching others leave theirs

7weeksandcounting Sat 24-Feb-07 19:44:27

Does popping into the village shop count? I do that but think leaving them for anytime is actually illegal - wouldn't go into the supermarket though - that is really bad form. Online food shopping exists for a reason.

Ghostofmumsnet - pack a handy little sleep mask and earplugs into your glovebox and join them zzzzzzzzzzz

kittywaitsfornumber6 Sat 24-Feb-07 20:00:35

I don't understand why what other people do should affect what you do, How does it make any difference whether other people leave their kids? Surely it is their business if they do and yours if you don't?

GhostOfMumsnet Sat 24-Feb-07 20:13:52

Is it illegal then. I've been trying to find out but can't see it.

TBH I think that seeing children in a potentially dangerous situation is everybodies buisness. If I shouldn't beother about it then would you also say that I should ignore the situation if the child wakes up and starts screaming?

losty Sat 24-Feb-07 20:24:52

I started a thread similar to this last week about a toddler alone ina car eating a packet of crisps. Responses were mixed...

GhostOfMumsnet Sat 24-Feb-07 20:25:43

have to say I"m suprised about that.

Saturn74 Sat 24-Feb-07 20:27:40

I wouldn't leave a child under the age of 6 alone in a car for more than a couple of minutes eg: going to pay for petrol. I'm sure lots of people have done it without any problems, but I wouldn't be happy to do it.

divastropwantstodrop Sat 24-Feb-07 20:28:14

an old friend of mine got reported to ss for doing this.her and her dh left their dd (who was about 2 at the time)asleep in her car seat and went to a couple of shops...they were gone for about 15/20 mins and when they got back the cops were waiting to question them.they were'nt arrested but they had a few ss visits etc.

kittywaitsfornumber6 Sat 24-Feb-07 20:31:31

nikkie Sat 24-Feb-07 20:57:52

15-20 mins?
I was anxious about leaving dds (5&7) outside Po for 5mins and I could see them !

beansprout Sat 24-Feb-07 21:02:58

I'll go into the petrol station and watch ds like a hawk but I would never leave him out of sight. << shudder >>

Aloha Sat 24-Feb-07 21:06:45

I think leaving small children in cars for extended periods of time is wrong - and it is our business. I called the police a few years back when I saw two small children completely alone in a car on a deserted street, crying their eyes out, on one of the hottest days of the year. I was incredibly upset by it.
Leaving children on a petrol station forecourt while you are paying is completely different.

7weeksandcounting Sat 24-Feb-07 21:06:55

I dread the petrol station thing - several times someone has tapped me on shoulder and pointed to ds (s) free ranging it across the forecourt - do have child locks but they get out the front - but with a few quite serious discussions they seem to stay put now! Thank goodness

GhostOfMumsnet Sat 24-Feb-07 21:08:29

a couple of mimuetes when you can see them is OK but the weeks shopping can't be right in anyone;s book, i hope!

misdee Sat 24-Feb-07 21:09:15

today i left dd1,2+3 in the car when i went to the pharmacy. it was supposed to be quick in/out to pick up dh meds and dressings. but they hadnt labelled up the dressings so was in there about 5minutes. felt really guilty as i couldnt see the car due to a hedge. BUT dd1 sits in the front seat and has strict instructions to continously beep the horn if there is any problem.

i got back ,dd3 was asleep and dd1+2 were laughing together and pulling faces.

stitch Sat 24-Feb-07 21:12:16

er excuse me, but i think tis safer to leave kids in a locked car, than to drag three of them accross the peetrol forcourt. i only have two hnds

7weeksandcounting Sat 24-Feb-07 21:16:24

Oh I agree - they are much safer in the car than roaming across the forecourt

chocolatekimmy Sat 24-Feb-07 22:12:32

I would never leave my three (all under 6)anywhere in the car unless they are within sight and easy reach should anything happen. Though chances are probably small, there are nasty things that can happen - mechanical fault, car stolen, vandals, child snatched etc.

Its just not worth the risk, aren't they the most precious thing you will ever be responsible for so why take ANY chances.

For those that do take this risk - I bet you wouldn't leave your bag or purse visible in the car in the same circumstances would you?

I think I agree with it being slightly different for older children but can't really say as I'm not at that stage yet.

essanel Sat 24-Feb-07 22:23:56

I could not imagine leaving kids in car alone - with dd i left her asleep in car to pay for petrol but as usual when you are in a hurry queue moved sooo slowly - still only about 5 mins and got back to car to dd screaming like mad so now I always fill up at tesco using pay@pump!

Bozza Sat 24-Feb-07 22:28:40

I leave mine occasionally and briefly where I can't see them and likewise my bag/purse. DS (just 6) has for a while asked to be left to listen to the music. I use my own judgement on this though and might insist he comes with me. I would not leave them to go into the supermarket.

chocolatekimmy Sat 24-Feb-07 22:50:46

I can't understand why anyone would take that risk (not being able to see them, therefore react quickly if necessary) - ever?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now