Talk

Advanced search

to ask everyone really nicely if they could please be specific in their thread titles? Mumsnet allows really long titles you know!

(24 Posts)
bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 22-Jan-17 19:53:15

Especially at the moment where it is so fucking slow and taking minutes to load pages!

This is not a taat but it is an example:

Thread title: Property local to you

What poster actually wants: 4 bed house for under £170,000 in a nice area

Since we are allowed long thread titles on here, why not make the most of them?

Givemestrength12 Sun 22-Jan-17 19:59:17

People like to give drama, i have frineds on FB..who will post one line, so everyone else will ask what has happened...instead of just saying whats annoyed them, or being more sensible and not saying anything at all :-)
Drama, some people live for it..

croon979 Sun 22-Jan-17 20:02:34

If the thread title is slightly ambiguous/mysterious, people are more likely to click on it - that is why people do it! So good luck with this one...

maggiethemagpie Sun 22-Jan-17 20:08:28

I'm less likely to click on the ambiguous ones... the ones that say stuff like 'AIBU to think this is really bad...' or 'AIBU to find this offensive'

Can't be arsed to click on a thread title if I don't have at least an inkling what it's about and I think it's lazy of the poster to be so vague.

Sparklingbrook Sun 22-Jan-17 20:09:06

Are you allowed to ask that though. You will be accused of being the thread police, mark my words.

My particular favourite is the title just 'AIBU' in AIBU. hmm

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 22-Jan-17 20:10:11

Yes croon! Hardly a click baity title! More like a sensible Have You Got Your Gloves And Scarf one grin.

croon979 Sun 22-Jan-17 20:12:31

Just to be clear - I agree with you! I just think it is often deliberately done so you may be fighting a losing battle!

elQuintoConyo Sun 22-Jan-17 20:17:21

'AIBU peas' was a favourite grin

If it is ambiguous, I don't open it.

I also hate the 'AIBU to ask what car you drive' type shite. That's not an aibu, that's a chat.

But I digress. Longer titles make benefit every MNer.

EpoxyResin Sun 22-Jan-17 20:19:06

YANBU. "Worried" or "Help please"; I want to help you, but i have no idea if what you're going to ask is anything i have any clue about, and then when i DO read your thread I think "jeez, that's pretty niche, you'll want to put that in the thread title then you've got half a chance of someone more knowledgeable spotting it!".

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 22-Jan-17 20:22:26

Also I find myself clicking on a thread, finding it doesn't interest me, then the next day do the same thing

Oysterbabe Sun 22-Jan-17 20:24:29

Yanbu. So annoying to fall for a clickbait title that turns out to be a super dull thread.

NavyandWhite Sun 22-Jan-17 20:28:01

I knew this would be you grin

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 22-Jan-17 20:30:42

grin

MitzyLeFrouf Sun 22-Jan-17 20:32:20

AIBU to think...

And I think 'Ooh what could it be? AIBU to think my night of passion with Chris Hemsworth was great fun?' But no it's usually something like 'AIBU to think salt and vinegar is a better flavour than cheese and onion?'

MitzyLeFrouf Sun 22-Jan-17 20:34:51

Not that I think crisps flavours aren't worthy of a vigorous debate. But just stick it in the thread title.

TheNiffler Sun 22-Jan-17 20:35:05

Oh, but I like the surprise of the unknown sad

2rebecca Sun 22-Jan-17 20:47:13

Nonspecific titles are usually rubbish threads though. I also hate abbreviations in titles where they can stand for several things.

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 22-Jan-17 20:49:46

Sometimes I'll play along with click baity non-specific thread titles. But not while Mumsnet is SO FUCKING SLOW!!!

TheNiffler Sun 22-Jan-17 20:51:57

The SLOW is making me quite stabby tbh.

Sparklingbrook Sun 22-Jan-17 21:10:35

Me too Niffler.

OhSoggyBiscuit Sun 22-Jan-17 21:20:23

toast

What's your favourite type of toast?

Threads like that drive me crazy.

Katy07 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:49:41

Totally agree. It takes ages and double-clicking to change pages so it's even worse when you finally get there and it's crap. Of course if Mumsnet could actually try fixing the slowness.....

WyfOfBathe Sun 22-Jan-17 22:01:09

I agree!

Also titles which don't fit the AIBU format, e.g. "Household tips that aren't shit." It's a good thread, but it's not AIBU. I want to put my teacher/grammar nazi hat on and tell everyone that "am I being unreasonable" must be followed by an infinitive!

WyfOfBathe Sun 22-Jan-17 22:02:31

But I am glad to hear that the slowness isn't just my computer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now