Talk

Advanced search

To ask you what I can do with all the Christmas chocolates, Halloween sweets, and soon endless Easter chocolates?

(15 Posts)
People1pleaser Sun 22-Jan-17 18:31:32

My dc are still quite young, age 3 and age 6. They get so much chocolate and sweets at Christmas, think 5 selection boxes each, 2 giant tubs of haribo each, giant chocolate santa etc from well meaning family and friends. Easter about 10 giant eggs each. Endless parties with sweets in goodie bags throughout the year. Not to mention Halloween where the few houses of elderly neighbours we go to literally pour sweets into their buckets! My dc are constantly asking me for sweets and chocolate. I said they could each pick one each night after dinner out of a "treat box" but this has turned into disaster as dc are now hardly eating any dinner as they want sweets. If I say no dinner no sweets then they are trying to force their dinner down even if they are full and gagging 😞 I'm thinking of saying a sweet each after school? But it still feels too many sweets having a small pack everyday after school plus the grandparents give them sweets at the weekend too. What is the solution?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 22-Jan-17 18:32:35

Our local hospice has advertised for things that might make suitable tómbola / raffle prizes.

BeanCalledPickle Sun 22-Jan-17 18:33:52

Pop them all into the local food bank collection bin. A nice treat for someone who otherwise can't afford it.

Rosa Sun 22-Jan-17 18:35:25

Make it vanish - DOn't put it all in box so they can see it all . Put the treat box even out of sight. I wouldn't give after meals either as you have seen the results. Maybe give when they least expect it and not on a regular basis either . SO one week it could be after school on a couple of days another week a Saturday morning . or maybe one evening after a meal . So they don't know when to expect it. Give sealed bags to the food banks of you really have too much. Put chocolate in cakes or biscuits and give to grand parents.

abigwideworld Sun 22-Jan-17 18:40:44

Fudge is good for using up chocolate, you could get them to 'help' then give back to friends/relatives? Could also get them to donate to more needy children via food bank, children are generally big hearted and will be happy to do that.

People1pleaser Sun 22-Jan-17 18:42:09

Thank you good idea. Maybe I can make them slowly disappear by putting some in the food bank collection point each week and maybe I could give some to the grandparents to keep at their house to save them buying more for when they visit! Good idea to give them at random times thank you. I'm sure I could make some of the chocolate disappear blush

ProudBadMum Sun 22-Jan-17 18:42:53

Melt it down and mix with rice crispies

harderandharder2breathe Sun 22-Jan-17 18:43:37

Food bank. It's not just for value baked beans.

Or tombola/raffle prizes for school fete type events.

Tell relatives to stop buying sweets and chocolate!

Pastaagain78 Sun 22-Jan-17 18:44:01

Chop up and freeze excess and use for cooking.

Wirrywoo Sun 22-Jan-17 18:46:45

I take all of extras into work especially the half opened stuff. Out of sight, out of mind - bonus of keeping people at work happy too grin

People1pleaser Sun 22-Jan-17 18:48:53

Lol our food bank says no baked beans we have plenty grin

Christmasnoooooooooooo Sun 22-Jan-17 19:10:32

My favourite pudding as kid was bit of easter egg in custard.

Ilovecaindingle Sun 22-Jan-17 19:14:16

Tell the kids you are sharing them with kids who don't get sweets when you put them on the food bank. . Some kids can't grasp that others haven't got much. It's a sad fact that I believe lucky ones should be told!!

PixieMiss Sun 22-Jan-17 19:27:03

I'd eat it myself grin

bad parent alert

Mindtrope Sun 22-Jan-17 19:40:58

Food bank, this is a first world problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now