Talk

Advanced search

Going skiing at half term, in Scotland

(40 Posts)
LovelyBath77 Sun 22-Jan-17 18:31:17

DH thinks there might be snow. I doubt it- having grown up there and we went one new year and it snowed one day then rained. I think we will be getting the children's hopes up for nothing.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 22-Jan-17 18:36:24

We went three years ago, took our skis and ended up wearing t shirts some days because it was so warm. The day we left there were blizzards and it took me 12 hours instead of 7 to get home.

Very possible though depending on luck, and, half term in a Scotland was a different week when we were there so the apartment we rented was very cheap!

LovelyBath77 Sun 22-Jan-17 18:52:31

Yes, the cheapness is a point and the scenery is stunning, around the Fort William area. There is also a train ride north which could be good. Checked out France also and think might be expensive, but better snow.

Mindtrope Sun 22-Jan-17 18:53:45

There will be snow in Cairngorm if you go high enough.
Be prepared for bleak conditions though.

BarchesterFlowers Sun 22-Jan-17 18:57:05

Yes, bear in mind that you are unlikely to be able to/want to sun yourself in a cafe after a couple of hours on the slopes. Bleak is a good word.

LovelyBath77 Sun 22-Jan-17 18:59:56

Bleak - yes it was quite bleak I remember. They liked the gondolas up Glen Shee though. It can get quite windy can't it. Looked at France pretty expensive. They just want some snow really...

Fluffyears Sun 22-Jan-17 19:05:56

It usually sniws more in February. We got really bad snow two years ago at end of January, start of February and also once on Valentine's Day and that was west coast so you might get some snow ❄️

Fluffyears Sun 22-Jan-17 19:08:03

It usually sniws more in February. We got really bad snow two years ago at end of January, start of February and also once on Valentine's Day and that was west coast so you might get some snow ❄️

BoxLoadingBaby Sun 22-Jan-17 19:12:06

I think Cairngorm has managed to open already this season, but I know Glenshee has not yet had enough snow - that said Perthshire did get an unexpected snowfall last night.

JustCallMeKate Sun 22-Jan-17 19:34:12

There was no snow in Cairngorm today and no runs were open. The last snowfall was only 5cm and that was 13th January. I was hoping to get up skiing on the Feb half term break but it's looking unlikely.

LovelyBath77 Sun 22-Jan-17 19:37:38

I guess it is an idea to keep an eye on it but yes it seems unlikely. Last time after the one day of snow we ended up with rain and gales I remember.

AnnaBegins Sun 22-Jan-17 19:40:20

Glad you posted this as we were considering it too! Had a brilliant time in glenshee in late January several years ago.

raviolidreaming Sun 22-Jan-17 19:42:59

There is also a train ride north which could be good

If you're thinking of the Jacobite steam train over the Glenfinnan viaduct (The bridge to Hogwarts!) then it's an absolutely wonderful trip smile

Cleebope Sun 22-Jan-17 19:46:54

We have done this 4times when kids were younger.,3 in Aviemore, 1 in Nevis. First time the wind nearly blew us away and I thought I was going to die. 2nd time got perfect snow and sun and it was fantastic. They even built an ice bar at the top and the ambience was brilliant for kids. 3rd time it was more mixed. 4th time it rained and we did no skiing at all. But we absolutely love Aviemore with its beautiful surroundings and quirky restaurants and cottages. A very friendly, laid back atmosphere. But so weather dependent hour by hour. We aren't going this year and I will miss it.

LovelyBath77 Sun 22-Jan-17 19:53:01

Thanks for tip in Aviemore, we stayed near Fort William last time which was beautiful scenery. It seems it can be pretty hit and miss. although train rides etc if no snow.

If you stay near aviemore then if there is no snow there is still loads to do. So far there has been only one or two days any of the ski centres anywhere up here have been open and even then only small runs. February is often better and we are having another cold snap so snow may come yet. But so far there have been many disgruntled season pass holders that haven't had a day out of them yet.

Celticlassie Sun 22-Jan-17 20:34:04

I'm pretty sure the steam train doesn't run in the winter. sad

2rebecca Sun 22-Jan-17 20:51:10

Agree there may or may not be snow and if there is it is probably cold and windy and icy. There is loads to do if there isn't snow though

2rebecca Sun 22-Jan-17 20:54:23

Was referring to Aviemore. Glenshee where I usually go has fewer non snow option with kids unless they like cold walks and I just go if there is snow

museumum Sun 22-Jan-17 20:56:28

No gondolas at glenshee. Only tows and chairs.
Gondolas at glencoe and Nevis range.
Funicular at Cairngorm
Tows and chairs only at the Lecht and glenshee.

East (cairngorm and lecht) is usually more snowsure than west (Nevis range and glencoe).

JustCallMeKate Sun 22-Jan-17 20:56:44

The vintage engine is running according to the timetable

Fortnum Sun 22-Jan-17 21:00:31

depends on the year in 2010 after the winter from hell they were snowboarding on June 21st on Cairngorm such was the volume of snow that fell during the winter months !

raviolidreaming Sun 22-Jan-17 21:01:40

I'm pretty sure the steam train doesn't run in the winter

Ah, you're right there about the Jacobite over Glenfinnan. Hmmmph.

Dogwalks2 Sun 22-Jan-17 21:18:42

We have skied a few times in Scotland and have been very lucky with the Weather, Aviemore better for a family if there is no snow as there are lots to do. We are going to France half term 4 of us for the same price as a week in aviemore.

Twopeapods Sun 22-Jan-17 21:21:36

Aviemore is definitely better for snow, but it's been a really mild winter for us and I think snow is unlikely. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now