Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about this AIBU (a meta one for you there...)

(18 Posts)
PamplemousseRouge Sun 22-Jan-17 17:03:39

First of all, I apologise. This is a really silly AIBU. So silly and such a non-issue that I didn't know what title to give it blush

Basically I rely on my bank card way too much, and normally pay with it instead of using cash, as I find it more convenient.

Until of course the time comes when you buy something so small that it's not worth the shop's while to accept card payments. And you come a cropper.

I bought some bread this morning, and when they said they didn't accept card payments for it as it was so small, I found that I didn't have enough change to pay for it. By this time, there were a couple of people waiting behind me. I asked if I could pay with a £10 note I had, but the guy behind the till suggested that it would be too much bother. So I paid him with the change I had, and he told me just to 'drop round' the rest of the money I owed (50p...) when I was next in the shop.

Today is the first time I've visited the shop, and it's slightly out of my way. My AIBU is should I just not pay back the owed money, or should I go back soon to buy something else and pay the owed money? I do want to pay it back, but worried they'll think I'm bonkers for getting so hung up on it!!! Aaargh. I know I'm definitely 100% overthinking this....!!

Please help, Mumsnet, with this ridiculous AIBU!!

EIsbethTascioni Sun 22-Jan-17 17:04:58

They wouldn't take your tenner?

Fuck 'em.

Gwenci Sun 22-Jan-17 17:06:26

That's a pain! Why didn't he take your £10 note?! It's not like you were breaking a £50!

I'd have to go back and give them the 50p. I'm afraid it would haunt me otherwise!

PamplemousseRouge Sun 22-Jan-17 17:09:51

Gwenci you've described it exactly - it's like a loose end that I haven't tied up. It's haunting me, it's true! grin It's frustratinggg!!

PamplemousseRouge Sun 22-Jan-17 17:11:07

Maybe it's their oh-so-clever ploy to get me back in to buy more things?? grin

DJBaggySmalls Sun 22-Jan-17 17:11:27

Just go in, say 'I owe you 50p, thanks' and pay them. Our local corner shop do this all the time.

SparkyStar84 Sun 22-Jan-17 17:12:49

Its a hard one, if it's ages away then put the money in a charity box. Next time you're in the area drop by & give them a £ and apologise for inconvenience.
They'll most likely have forgotten about it and have no idea what you're on about, or refuse the money.
If it was more than 50p, then yes I'd go and pay. Likelihood is they put it in the till themselves as they refused your card & £10 note. So they made the situation tricky for you.

PamplemousseRouge Sun 22-Jan-17 17:12:55

Thanks DJ smile - that's given me the courage I needed!

ExcuseMyEyebrows Sun 22-Jan-17 17:13:43

If you don't want to go back, stick 50p in an envelope with a note and post it to them?

HecateAntaia Sun 22-Jan-17 17:15:09

I'd take it in because like a pp, these things niggle at me. I wouldnt be able to just forget about it. Daft over 50p. I guess a lot of people would say But it would matter to me as the principle rather than the amount.

If you're like this then go and take it in. Or you could take him at his word and give it next time you find yourself in the shop.

DJBaggySmalls Sun 22-Jan-17 17:24:35

The thing is, if you go in and repay them with a thanks and a smile, it pays forwards good karma. I know that sounds trite but it really isnt.
Never be afraid to do a good turn or repay one smile

Chloe84 Sun 22-Jan-17 17:28:48

Of course you have to go back and pay the 50p. And of course you don't need to buy anything else.

LemonRedwood Sun 22-Jan-17 17:29:12

I'm baffled as to why a shop thinks making change for a tenner is too much bother. That can't be good for business!

harderandharder2breathe Sun 22-Jan-17 17:48:59

You should go back and pay it

Weird that they wouldn't take s tenner though! Unless I guess it was start of shift and the til had only a basic float? (I used to work in a shop and the breakfast crowd would all be there with their €50 notes which are far more common than £50 notes. Just one could wipe out my till for change, if I could do it at all)

Allthewaves Sun 22-Jan-17 17:55:33

Im the same but always carry emegency £5/£10 if I can. We they wouldn't take your £10

TheCustomaryMethod Sun 22-Jan-17 17:59:48

It sounds like he was trying to be helpful, and wanted to avoid antagonising the people in the waiting queue. It's nice that he was so trusting. I'd definitely repay the money as soon as it was convenient - you're under no obligation to make another purchase at the same time, though.

PamplemousseRouge Sun 22-Jan-17 19:29:39

Thank you so much for your replies, everyone! Will definitely go and pay it back - I'll try and go within the next week or so. Thanks again! smile

IWantATardis Sun 22-Jan-17 19:40:29

Weird that he wouldn't take your £10 note. Were they completely out of change?

But yes, you should go back and give them the 50p.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now