Talk

Advanced search

Lesbian / gay families in Todmorden or just outside Hebden

(14 Posts)
Anyoneooutthere Sun 22-Jan-17 15:49:52

Hi everyone, posting in Aibu for traffic, hope that's ok! Just wondered if there are any lesbian / gay mumsnetters who live just out Hebden? My partner has a new job in Manchester which means relocating from Brighton, where we have loads of gay families. I'm quite nervous as this is a big move out of my comfort zone. We have 2 children under 3 and plan to have another at some point. I've read that Hebden is full of lesbians and family friendly but we kind of want a bit more space and maybe small bit of land so are thinking about just outside Hebden but close enough so we can use the station for commuting to Manchester. Are there areas outside Hebden still gay friendly and family friendly, from anyone's perspective who lives there or is it best to stick to Hebden itself? Have been told some horror stories about being verbally abused etc as a gay family in areas close to but not just outside Hebden so really worrying. Any advice? Thanks!

justinelibertine Sun 22-Jan-17 15:56:35

I'm in a heterosexual relationship but live near Hebden/Tod and would be happy to be friends/playdates. My DD is 2.
Haven't heard of any discrimination in the area it's very diverse.
PM me if you wish smile

Jengnr Sun 22-Jan-17 15:59:29

I'm heterosexual and also very close to both. I would also be your mate smile

You can both pm me if you like :D

Mermaidinthesea Sun 22-Jan-17 16:03:22

I have friends there and they say there are loads of gay and lesbian families in the area.

Mermaidinthesea Sun 22-Jan-17 16:06:58

Mind you because Brighton is so expensive now gay and lesbian people are moving to places like Peacehaven and Seaford in East Sussex. We have one lesbian couple and their kids in my close and my lodger is gay, she says Seaford is full of lesbians and gay folk now.

Anyoneooutthere Sun 22-Jan-17 16:07:34

Thanks everyone, great to hear! We haven't moved yet but within the next 6 months or so. How would you describe the areas you live in, if you don't mind me asking? Is there lots going on like playgroups, cafes, shops etc or do you travel to the city for that stuff? I've never been and I'm not sold on the move but only because we are settled here. It's my partners dream job and will be great for us as a family so it's the right thing, I'm just a bit hesitant as life is good here - can walk to a different group or child activity every day of the week, tons of restaurants, shops etc. I know it's going to be a change, just wondering how much!

Anyoneooutthere Sun 22-Jan-17 16:08:48

Mermaid, it's so true, the prices are ridiculous. At least it means we will be able to afford a big place when we move!

specialsubject Sun 22-Jan-17 16:09:55

Perhaps check the weather (and certainly the flood situation) before you move there?

strugglingstepdad Sun 22-Jan-17 16:30:49

I didn't think the rent was that bad. My mother lives behind Lewes Road (behind Halfords) and pays just over £100 a week for a 2 bedroom flat!

Jengnr Sun 22-Jan-17 16:38:45

I'd definitely make sure you move somewhere high up. The floods were awful.

I like where I live. (I'll pm) It's a small town and it has a bit of a small town mentality but it's pretty and it's driveable to both Manchester and Leeds (I'm from Manchester so spend a lot of time there and husband works in Leeds)

Anyoneooutthere Sun 22-Jan-17 16:45:02

Thank you.

Struggling - the rent will be cheap there as it's pretty much Moulsecoomb (estate) and not considered a desirable place to live, it's not central Brighton or Hove. For example, the desirable areas are £1500 per month for a 2 bed (our 3 bed maisonette with v small garden was being let for £2500 pcm before we bought it).

Anyoneooutthere Sun 22-Jan-17 16:45:38

I didn't mean that to sound rude, I can't think of a better way to say why it's cheap there, sorry.

Welshrainbow Sun 22-Jan-17 16:50:44

We live not too far from Hebden bridge, about 25/30 mins. I've never heard of anyone being abused for being a gay family. We have a 20 month old and trying for another.
There are a couple of gay families groups we meet up with every couple months too.

strugglingstepdad Sun 22-Jan-17 17:16:41

lol it's ok, it's far enough away from Moulscombe to not be a part of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now