Talk

Advanced search

To ask what are the best things to buy in Aldi?

(90 Posts)
lauryloo Sun 22-Jan-17 13:59:24

I'm going for the 1st time today and need to know what's good to stock up on!

Lovelybangers Sun 22-Jan-17 14:01:29

The beetroot crisps!!

TrampyCat Sun 22-Jan-17 14:01:52

Marking my place as we've just started shopping here. Avoid cookie dough ice cream - not nice. Their own brand Toblerone is good. Their crisps are pretty nice too. Bake your own tiger bread is lovely. Sorry not much help on anything else I've not tried yet.

AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Sun 22-Jan-17 14:03:47

Nappies, wipes, nappy sacks, baby jars, garlic baguettes, own brand fruit shoots, all the fruit seems to last ages (and interestingly doesn't have a sell-by date on the packaging like most supermarket fruit).

tinydancer88 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:04:39

I love their big bars of chocolate, the irish cream flavour is amazing.
Also like their soups, flapjacks, granola-type cereal, and pizzas. Wasn't hugely keen on the yogurts I got from there though.

auntyemaily Sun 22-Jan-17 14:04:44

Greek yoghurt, moser Roth 85% chocolate, the mini baked potatoes (in the cardboard in fridge), Wensleydale with cranberries, the seasalt crackers, spicy chorizo, the extra tasty whole chicken in a bag, frozen sweet potato fries, the salt and vinegar posh crisps.

Mamabear14 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:05:07

I like the curry sauces that have the little pot of powder on top. Their crisps and bread/rolls are good too. As are the nappies is you have little ones still in them, we always had DD in pampers but have changed now, and they are better. Their version of the muller corners are pretty nice too.

Fireinthegrate Sun 22-Jan-17 14:05:40

Little desserts in shot type glasses. The chocolate one is delicious.

veryexcitingtimes Sun 22-Jan-17 14:06:37

The rosemary ham is superb
Second the spice pot curry for quick tea. Cheese is generally good.

auntyemaily Sun 22-Jan-17 14:07:16

The sell by date on the packaged fruit and veg is in a kind of code, wasp , its in a date format with a week number and day number so you can sometimes root to find the fresher ones.

Mamabear14 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:07:20

Oh and their goose fat frozen roasties, they are so good! I have one of those roast in a bag chickens for today, so I'm glad they are ok. We only moved near an Aldi a couple of weeks ago so we are just trying stuff too. My DP said that their cheese spread is the only thing that's no good so far, it is too hard and doesn't spread apparently

SusanneLinder Sun 22-Jan-17 14:08:11

Meats, cheeses, olive oil, noodles, pasta, tins of tomatoes. Everything really. Not a huge fan of their butter, cereals or yoghurts though.
I love Aldi

SusanneLinder Sun 22-Jan-17 14:09:31

And their lets cook range of stuff like Piri Piri chicken is fab for a quick dinner

auntyemaily Sun 22-Jan-17 14:10:10

Ooh yeah dessert shots are lovely. Watch out for meat packaging OP, I've got home to busted packs a few times, it's probably the way I shove it all in bags but they are a bit flimsy.

they are doing more good comvience type stuff recently too like frozen chopped herbs, garlic etc. My husbands very into freezer food and likes the breaded cod steaks.

Magzmarsh Sun 22-Jan-17 14:10:12

I buy almost everything from Aldi and love it. The only brand I still buy are Richmond sausages, the Aldi version is the only product I've found disappointing.

auntyemaily Sun 22-Jan-17 14:12:12

Obviously you'll also need to carefully peruse the middle aisles of wonder as there will be some essentials in there.

Servicesupportforall Sun 22-Jan-17 14:12:42

Love Aldi. I can get our big shop for 4 adults and a dog for under £100. A week.

That includes wine, beer, steaks chicken mince all vegs and juices, cheese milk bread pasta choks fruit frozen stuff and all toiletries.

Bloody good quality fir meat and vegs and you are in and out in half an hour.

Best supermarket by miles.

Roomba Sun 22-Jan-17 14:14:03

I am completely addicted to their seeded oatcakes and get through packs of them a week blush. No other supermarkets do an equivalent as far as I can see, and the branded ones are about £1.60 (59p in Aldi).

Also like their lower fat hummus, the pizzas, washing powder, washing up liquid, breads... in fact I don't think I've had anything from there I wouldn't buy again except their basics cola (DS bought in error).

Topseyt Sun 22-Jan-17 14:14:15

Moser Roth chocolate. Love it.

littlepeas Sun 22-Jan-17 14:15:14

Vanilla tear and share bricoche, specially selected filled pasta, specially selected frozen Yorkshire puddings, specially selected cheese (especially the mozzarella - best I've ever had), veg crisps, deli meat. Broadly everything is fined - watch out for sell by dates on cheese and meat.

littlepeas Sun 22-Jan-17 14:15:32

Fine, not fined!

EmmaC78 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:17:32

I am another Aldi fan, having just started shopping there at Christmas. I am saving a fortune and wish I had started going sooner. Their own brand Jaffa cakes are really nice as are the big bars of chocolate as a few others have said.

SoupDragon Sun 22-Jan-17 14:18:09

I have very recently started shopping there and am comparing with Waitrose/Ocado smile

Their "Crunchy” mature cheddar is superb.
Cinnamon and raisin bagels
DS2 tells me their frozen oven bake Home Fries are wonderful
Chocolate cookies, tiger rolls and pain aux raisin from the fresh bakery bit
Gourmet burgers
Cheese and onion and Prawn cocktail crisps (the other flavours are probably good too)
Frying steak (a little chewy in places but great value)
Fruit and veg seems good.
Chicken thigh fillets OK - smaller and scrappier than Waitrose but not a problem.

Packets of 4 English muffins were OK but disappointing compared to Waitrose. Probably wouldn't swap.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sun 22-Jan-17 14:18:22

The pots of chocolate/salted caramel, orange chocolate are great. Need to find some way of using 20 odd ramekin pots now! Ds loves their raspberry/ strawberry homemade yoghurts. Chocolate is good. Most things in fact are good.

littlepeas Sun 22-Jan-17 14:19:36

Personally not keen on their sausages. Mince and free range chickens are good. I've heard their steaks are really good, but haven't tried yet. Fish is decent and so cheap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now