Talk

Advanced search

to fork out for a Sleepyhead Grand Pod?

(23 Posts)
OldBooks Sun 22-Jan-17 11:49:29

DD2 is 6 months and is rapidly outgrowing her crib so I am thinking about the transition to cot. She is already a crap sleeper so I am not looking forward to it. She always slept brilliantly in her Purflo Nest (this) until she outgrew it and still sleeps best if she is very cosy - like in my arms or in her car seat.

But the Sleepyhead is SO EXPENSIVE!

I suppose it isn't at all safe to use something like this in her cot is it?

Give me other ideas - there doesn't seem to be another pod on the market for 6 months + unless I have missed something?

Or tell me how amazing the Sleepyhead is so I can justify the expense...

Mileymoocow Sun 22-Jan-17 12:15:36

We're getting one for DS. He's 4 months old and the deluxe has been brilliant for us so I figure why stop a good thing. They are expensive but worth it

BoredOnMatLeave Sun 22-Jan-17 13:24:36

We've just got the Grand for DD 6 months as she wouldn't sleep without her deluxe. However I'm pretty sure you could make one with rolled up towels and tuck it all in with a flat sheet so they won't unroll?

I was too lazy to try blush but I find it great to transport so she feels at home if she's in a travel got

BoredOnMatLeave Sun 22-Jan-17 13:25:14

Cot* not got blush

ineedwine99 Sun 22-Jan-17 13:26:10

Bought the deluxe and now they grand from ebay, jusy look for ones in great condition then wash the covers in your detergent. I also put a sheet over ours.
Baby loves it smile

ConvincingLiar Sun 22-Jan-17 13:33:57

I had assumed that these things would fall within the mattress rules and you'd need a new one?

IMissGrannyW Sun 22-Jan-17 13:48:51

If you can afford it in terms of cash without leaving you desperately short, and if you're confident it's going to work, I'd say def go for it. But I had a DD who didn't sleep well (early riser) and we were both so tired for the first 6 years that my teeth hurt.

OldBooks Sun 22-Jan-17 15:09:48

Oh you are all so right, you cannot put a price on getting some sleep!

Greydiddi Sun 22-Jan-17 15:13:15

As she gets older and more mobile won't she increasingly want to move in her sleep though? You know when they do the ( admittedly annoying!) practicising crawling, and just generally moving around the cot, sleeping with bum in the air phase? I used one when DS2 was little but it would feel a bit like putting him in a sleeping straight jacket as he became mobile grin Having said that if it helps them sleep ....

monsterbrunch Sun 22-Jan-17 15:53:53

13 month old DS loves his. Worth every bloody penny.

ThreeShiningStars Sun 22-Jan-17 16:37:00

Get a second hand one - try posting on your local facebook selling or parent pages to see if someone is selling. You can wash very part of them so they are okay second hand and they hold their resale value so even if DC don't take to it you should be able to sell on and recoup cost!

I've just got the deluxe for this DC - it was impossible getting DD to settle after night feeds so i'm hoping I can use as a sort of BF pillow and DH hated the rustling from the moses basket.

LePetitPont Sun 22-Jan-17 17:30:27

We got one at 7 months for our DS - still going strong at 28 months! He can move around just fine and as pp have said, v handy for taking away from home.

croon979 Sun 22-Jan-17 17:40:41

YANBU - they are amazing!

OldBooks Sun 22-Jan-17 18:53:31

Will show DH the thread and all your endorsements! grin and have a look on selling sites too

Mouikey Sun 22-Jan-17 19:00:24

A super amazing lady on here gifted us her sleepyhead grande (in perfect condition) and it's been brilliant transitioning out lonfrom the deluxe to her cot. I would happily recommend it and it is all washable 😊

bobbinpop Sun 22-Jan-17 19:02:03

I use rolled up cellular blankets to wedge DD in and make her feel 'held.'

Palegreenstars Sun 22-Jan-17 19:10:49

Do it. I ordered mine at 2 am in desperation one night and it changed our lives.

Caper86 Sun 22-Jan-17 19:11:37

If it makes you feel any better I have 8mo twins and now have to buy 2 of them. They love the deluxes but have grown out. They do cost a bomb but anything for sleep!!!

Wistfulthinking Sun 22-Jan-17 19:14:52

We love ours! Our 21 month DD sleeps so much more happily in it and we take whenever we're away from home too. That said it is very expensive for what it is, but for us it has been worth it.

rallytog1 Sun 22-Jan-17 19:21:05

Ours was a life saver. Worth every penny!

Heloise1982 Sun 22-Jan-17 19:29:10

I don't want to confuse things, and totally agree that you can't put a price on a good night's sleep... But our twins actually stopped liking them not long after I bought them. I found the Deluxe a lifesaver, but after just a couple of months in the Grand they started to want to sleep on their front. They couldn't turn over the Grand, and were getting frustrated. Took the Grand away, they immediately started sleeping (much better) on their side/front. I now have two more or less unused, very expensive Grands gathering dust in the corner!

So, if you can squeeze another month or two out of what you've got at the moment, it might be worth a try! Just one person's experience though smile

Melinda76 Sun 22-Jan-17 19:44:58

I'm looking to buy the sleepyhead grand for my 8 month old - Heloise1982 are you selling yours by any chance?

OldBooks Sun 22-Jan-17 20:25:08

Yes Heloise are you selling?! I can't squeeze any more out of the one I have, DD is really tall (DH is 6'4 so it was inevitable) and she hasn't fitted in it for at least 6 weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now