Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you use bloody overhead cupboards and ridiculously deep wardrobe shelving?

(16 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Sun 22-Jan-17 09:59:44

The bedrooms in our house have those dated built in units with a vertical row of deep shelves to the side of the wardrobe and overhead deep cupboards.

We initially thought they were great as they save space and we didn't have to buy loads of extra furniture when we moved in. But bloody hell they are a nuisance! The overhead cupboards are so high and deep that I have to stand on a chair to access anything in them. No good for stuff that's used regularly so they just get filled with random bits and pieces and clutter

The shelves are almost as bad. They're so deep that I have to store clothes one stack behind the other, things at the back get forgotten about or else the whole lot gets messed up when I go looking for something.

First world problems, I know hmm But someone must have some organisational advice for me! I've looked for drawers that will fit the shelves but they're too deep.

luckylucky24 Sun 22-Jan-17 10:03:08

My parents had these in the 90's! They stored spare bedding in the overhead bit and towels I think. Could you put guest stuff like this at the back with everyday stuff in front?

GlacindaTheTroll Sun 22-Jan-17 10:07:04

How about out of season and special occasion stuff at the back. Swop over (and check over) twice a year.

Rarely used stuff in the top cupboards - many be bulky once-a-year stuff like ski gear, a stored wedding dress, things you're keeping to hand on to grandchildren etc

Lilaclily Sun 22-Jan-17 10:08:37

They are brilliant for storing Xmas decorations
Spare duvets , pillows

And random crap you don't know where to put

Allthebestnamesareused Sun 22-Jan-17 14:14:38

Buy some baskets (from Ikea/Wilkos etc) or even use some cardboard boxes (labelled) until you can buy some and then it is easier to lift stuff out and get to the back stuff.

Bobochic Sun 22-Jan-17 14:16:53

Just remove them and get a modern fitted dressing room.

Freyanna Sun 22-Jan-17 16:05:10

I have my holiday clothes in the ones above the bed and bedding in the more accessible ones.

Birdsgottafly Sun 22-Jan-17 16:08:54

I put handbags on one of the shelves inside and have smaller storage boxes for other stuff.

In the overhead Ines, I put my personal laptop charger, my spare bedding and rarely worn jewellery. I've got Passports etc in a file, up there as well.

I use vacuum bags, but I have minimal clothing, but stored in 'usage categories', so camping, walking etc.

MatildaTheCat Sun 22-Jan-17 16:10:19

Overhead cupboards for items like Christmas decorations.

We had a lot of deep shelves and took some out and fitted a hanging rail in one wardrobe. The rest are a bit prone to getting a bit cluttered. Storing stuff in boxes on the shelves helps a bit.

Gingernaut Sun 22-Jan-17 16:17:48

Ladders. I come from a short family and I am less than five feet tall myself.

Step ladders appropriate to the height required.

I have a 3 step and a 7 step ladder. They're tucked away in cubbies until needed.

Deux Sun 22-Jan-17 16:21:38

I have this issue with a cupboard in my hallway that is narrow but deep.

I bought some strong wire baskets from Ikea. they're not storage baskets but were part of a shelving system. I don't think ikea do the ones I have any longer. They were like the photo. But they do have another range called Algot. Mine aren't fitted on runners. I've just put them on the shelves and lined the shelves with oilcloth so that the shelves aren't damaged.

What size would you need?

HughLauriesStubble Sun 22-Jan-17 17:38:46

I like the idea of the wire baskets but not sure if I could get them to fit. The shelves are deep but not very big, too short to fit the standard ikea fabric boxes. I've tried a few different types of storage boxes but they are either too big to fit, or not deep enough so end up wasting loads of space.

All of our xmas decs and vac packed clothes are in the attic.

I hadn't even thought of keeping a step ladder upstairs for the overhead cupboards! They are just such a redundant space that I badly need for clothes.

Wish I had the money and space for a modern fitted dressing room grin

Blobby10 Sun 22-Jan-17 18:07:08

I use those collapsible crated in my deep shelves! One has jumpers in, one has jeans in, one has handbags in etc etc

Deux Sun 22-Jan-17 22:23:50

What about trying to source something that would normally be used in a commercial setting rather than domestic? I'm thinking something like parts bins, that kind of thing.

www.filplastic.co.uk/collections/small-parts-storage/parts-bins-budget-range

FeelingSmurfy Sun 22-Jan-17 22:26:07

Bedding and towels in the cupboards over my bed, and I stand on it to get them out

umizoomi Sun 22-Jan-17 22:27:43

The IKEA skubb boxes work a treat for this - measure the space and get the appropriate ones. They have handles on them to pull out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now