Talk

Advanced search

Confused about Maternity Leave and Pay :(

(8 Posts)
Mummybean2017 Sat 21-Jan-17 16:39:44

Hello everyone,
Im new to this forum but joined as soon as I found I was expecting my first child. I would be ever so grateful if anyone could offer any advice or point me in the right direction. Here is some info about my situation:
I am 14 weeks pregnant and due 22nd July 2017.
I work for a company on a zero hours contract and I have been employed since 1st September 2016. I get regular hours and throughout my contract I am called an 'employee' and not a casual worker or 'worker'.
I just want to know if I would be entitled to SMP with being on a zero hours contract, and if I am not entitled to SMP would I be entitled to Maternity allowance? Im really rubbish with understanding test periods and when and how do I ask my employer about maternity pay and leave. Ive never experienced this before and I feel so confused and lost. I am trying to budget financially for a new baby, i would love to be able to plan ahead with knowing my entitlements.
Thank you so much in advance!

LIZS Sat 21-Jan-17 16:42:31

It depends how long you have been employed and whether you earn over the threshold during the specific qualifying weeks . Do you routinely pay ni? If you don't get smp you may get maternity allowance.

Pistachiois50pmore Sat 21-Jan-17 16:49:07

If you're an employee and you aren't new to your job (if so check what your "qualifying week" is), you should get SMP. Maternity allowance is for everyone else who doesn't qualify for SMP as far as I know?

LIZS Sat 21-Jan-17 16:53:06

https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/eligibility

Mummybean2017 Sat 21-Jan-17 16:54:31

Thank you for your replies.
I think because of my job being a zero hours contract I won't be entitled to SMP... I think I may be allowed Materinity allowance. My qualifying week is the 2nd April. I earn on average £150.00 a week.

LIZS Sat 21-Jan-17 17:00:22

It is nothing to do with your contract. If you earn over £112 average over the relevant weeks (18-24 pg iirc but the link will give you that info) you get Smp. If not it is ma. The main difference is pay for the first 6 weeks. Leave is the same for either.

Tantrictantrum Sat 21-Jan-17 17:00:36

Your midwife will give you a mat b form at about 24 weeks. You give this to your employer and they will inform you whether you are entitled to Smp. I think you are entitled to it based on the dates you have given. The amount you will receive will be the average pay of the qualifying weeks or the maximum amount (around £110) per week. If your employers says you aren't entitled maternity allowance is the same amount as smp but you dint get it paid by your employer, you have to fill in a form. The big difference is smp us paid at 90% of your average pay for 6 weeks then the lower amount. Mat allowance is always the lower rate.

RoseGibbs Thu 09-Feb-17 15:45:47

would any one be interested in talking to me about their experience of zero hour contracts, maternity leave and childcare support. There was an exhibition made in 1979 called Who's Holding the Baby? And I want to do an updated version of it to highlight the struggles women face particularly when they have precarious work situations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now