Talk

Advanced search

Driving instructor from hell?

(11 Posts)
scoobydoo1971 Sat 21-Jan-17 16:35:36

I have started driving lessons on the wrong side of 40. Opted for automatic as thought it would be quicker to learn, and I have some medical conditions so my coordination/ reaction time isn't the best. Anyway automatic driving instructors are hard to find for regular lessons as they are rare and always busy in my area. Found one, made a block booking for 40 hours and got started before Christmas. I don't think I am progressing very well and he seems to be quite unprofessional, and too keen to step in and correct me without giving me chance to drive. I have basic car control, steering and doing roundabouts, he moans about my speed (too fast/ too slow...fair comment)...but after 20 lessons he still hasn't attempted parking with me, reversing or 3-point turns. He keeps saying about getting the basics right which means going round and round industrial and housing estates mostly. Moans all the time and makes me nervous in the car - he shouts, gives inconsistent instructions (go left...no I mean right...not that right, next one up...), don't slow down to give way to pedestian already on road as its 'their problem'. He is texting and on facebook in the car, grabs the wheel, moans about his other students and strokes his chest, scratches himself, picks his ear wax and dandruff...revolting personal hygiene habits...I would be better off being taught by a gorilla.

I am a tough cookie as life has been a total battle over the last few years, so I am bullet proof to his criticism and moaning...I just don't feel comfortable in the car with him if he going to brake without giving me chance to correct a mistake, wave his arms about and shout like I am a toddler. I think I have given him a lot of money to not be challenged much at all...I am going to stick the lessons out and find someone else to teach me to test standard later on. I take it as a life lesson.

But I am here to ask what sort of skills you would expect to be taught within 20 hours of lessons? Maybe I am being unrealistic in my expectations of him...or my own abilities?

MakeItRain Sat 21-Jan-17 16:38:40

Well, it was many, many years ago now but after 20 hours of lessons I passed my test. Maybe things have changed now though. He sounds awful.

JennyOnAPlate Sat 21-Jan-17 16:41:03

He sounds terrible! Can you ask him to refund the hours you are still owed and find someone else?

20 hours of lessons with no parking/reversing etc is ridiculous. I only had about 24 hours of lessons before I passed my test!

JennyOnAPlate Sat 21-Jan-17 16:41:39

I should have said 24 hours before I passed my test on the second attempt!

Ilovecaindingle Sat 21-Jan-17 16:42:18

Can you not ask for another instructor?

MuseumGardens Sat 21-Jan-17 16:44:28

Wtf he sounds awful. You have to change

Timetogetup0630 Sat 21-Jan-17 16:47:23

Change instructors !
Are you using a driving school with automatic cars ?
Do you already own an automatic ?
Why not learn to drive a manual ?
Millions of people have leaned to change gear, so can you !

You you have a friend who is welling to take you out for some practice ?

bigbluebus Sat 21-Jan-17 16:54:18

I have heard it said that you need 1 lesson for every year of your age. So whilst I had 20 lessons at 17 before passing my test, clearly it will take longer at your age.

Having said that your instructor sounds a nighmare and I would be looking to change to someone else rather than booking any more lessons with him. Everyone learns at a different pace so it is hard/impossble to say whether you should have progressed to doing those manouevres. A friends DD did have an instructor who was like this and didn't seem to progress her. SHe booked a lesson with a different instructor and had a totally different experience and found she was actually nearly ready to put in for her test.

vcrees6 Sat 21-Jan-17 17:03:08

I am in my 30s and took some intensive driving lessons for an automatic in June which was 40 hours in a month and I passed first time with 4 minor faults.

I think I spent the first 8-10 hours in a quiet housing estate doing basics. The next 6 hours maximum going around my busier village.

I spent the last 20 or so hours on main roads, a roads, major roundabouts, the area I would be tested in.

We did all types of maneuvres from 10 hours onwards - always in quiet areas.

I would stick with the automatic as I think if you got a decent instructor it gives you less to think about and you can focus on the other road users and not coordinating yourself.

Spam88 Sat 21-Jan-17 17:03:13

Aside from anything else, surely he's breaking the law by using his phone whilst supervising you..? Isn't he legally the one in charge of the vehicle?

I had 36 hours without doing any manoeuvres before I mentioned this to my parents and they decided he was taking the piss, so I changed schools and the new guy got me doing them straight away. First instructor made me feel like we weren't doing much because I was so rubbish at driving, but never got the impression from my second instructor that I was a bad driver.

TheEponymousGrub Sat 21-Jan-17 17:03:28

Could you take one lesson from another instructor and ask them if they think you need 20 more lessons? Or if you're more than ready to progress beyond "the basics"?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now