Talk

Advanced search

To ask where I could move to to get on the property ladder??

(100 Posts)
PleasantPheasant Sat 21-Jan-17 15:46:54

I need to move if I ever want to afford more than just a room in a shared house. I am single, so one income and earn less that 23,000 GBP gross. I desperately want to be able to afford a place of my own, eventually 2-3 bed. At the moment in my town I can only afford an 8 sq m room in a shared house, so you see why I need to move.
I'm quite able and willing to move, I've moved around all over the place during my 20s but I'd like to settle wherever I go next and I don't really have ties anywhere in this country so nowhere jumps out at me.
So - inspire me?! I'm looking for somewhere cheap to live, but not in a city or industrial place. I would love to live near the sea or lakes, out in the country but not too far from a small town - 30-40 mins say.
I only need a small place, bungalow, mobile home, cabin, but need to be able to afford the land it stands on, or a small cottage/bungalow/tiny house.
I'm looking to rent somewhere again for now - on my salary I can't afford to pay much over 600/month if I ever want to save. I would consider anywhere in the UK, currently looking at Wales and Scotland as they seem cheaper? AIB totally naive to think I will ever be able to move out of this grotty room??

Blackfellpony Sat 21-Jan-17 15:49:33

We live in Durham and paid £95k for a lovely 2 bed rural cottage near the beach. Mortgage is around £400pcm. We love it here smile

Currently upgrading to a 4 bed at 200k and that's quite expensive for the area!

monkeysox Sat 21-Jan-17 15:50:49

Lots of places like that in the north east which are nice.

myfavouritecolourispurple Sat 21-Jan-17 15:52:01

Liverpool and Manchester?

And yes, Scotland. Years ago my husband and I said that if we fell on hard times and needed to downsize we would move to Elgin.

wowbutter Sat 21-Jan-17 15:52:01

West Yorkshire is cheap.

dorothymichaels Sat 21-Jan-17 15:52:44

Northumberland definitely. Or tyne valley.

Drquin Sat 21-Jan-17 15:53:00

http://www.hspc.co.uk/search.asp?searchtype=simple

Highlands of Scotland .....

But I guess it also depends how guaranteed that job / salary is in other parts of the country. You could get a property easily enough based on that salary (simple guesstimate of mortgage). But can you get a job?

CelticPromise Sat 21-Jan-17 15:57:05

Around Swansea or Carmarthen.

turbohamster Sat 21-Jan-17 15:59:40

600 a month in rent, or including bills etc.

I think even in the cheapest parts of the country you may struggle to make significant savings if living on your own.

Would you consider lodging with one other person? An improvement on a shared room but would allow you to save faster

Phineyj Sat 21-Jan-17 16:07:51

What job do you do? It would be sensible to look at earning more as well as improving housing situation.

XiCi Sat 21-Jan-17 16:11:41

What's your occupation? Will you easily find work wherever you move to?

notangelinajolie Sat 21-Jan-17 16:15:48

My SIL lives in a lovely little village somewhere between Leicester and Northampton and they paid less than 200k

Manumission Sat 21-Jan-17 16:17:42

Yes the job thing will be key.

brasty Sat 21-Jan-17 16:19:20

Lots of Yorkshire is cheap. This bungalow in Filey has been let out as a holiday home, and is £75,000. Monthly mortgage of £362
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-50261527.html

Rixera Sat 21-Jan-17 16:20:50

Oh and I have rural/North Wales down for when we can buy, but you also have to think of jobs. He travels for work so can live anywhere and my chosen career follows a trajectory that allows for freelance working from home. Hence why we won't be buying for a while as that's not possible atm.

Best to work on increasing earning potential for now I think.

bookworm80 Sat 21-Jan-17 16:21:56

Darlington, defo..

brasty Sat 21-Jan-17 16:21:57

And that bungalow in Filey is very close to a country park and the sea. It just takes a bit of time looking around.

humbugcentral Sat 21-Jan-17 16:22:09

I second other PP's Yorkshire is cheap. North Yorkshire is the most expensive. I'd go West Yorkshire, close to countryside but within close proximity to various towns and cities. Also good motorway links such as M62 and M1

PotteringAlong Sat 21-Jan-17 16:25:56

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44434161.html

£70k, buy the sea

BikeRunSki Sat 21-Jan-17 16:29:53

Lots of West Yorkshire is very expensive though!!!! I believe that the triangle described by Wetherby, Ilkley and N Leeds has the highest average house price in the country.

OP, have a look around Doncaster, Pontefract and Goole,but watch out for flood zones.

brasty Sat 21-Jan-17 16:36:33

A 14 bedroom house in Scotland for £900000?
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36024598.html

turbohamster Sat 21-Jan-17 16:39:19

That Filey bungalow only has 52 years left on the leasehold. Not going to get a mortgage on that

SilentBatperson Sat 21-Jan-17 16:40:53

There are loads of places you could get that but I think people will need to know what sort of job market you realistically have access to. It would help considerably if you can wfh. I usually say the northern cities and areas close by offer the closest you'll get to the best of both worlds, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're after.

ZestyDragon Sat 21-Jan-17 16:46:47

Would you consider a big move to NI? You could get a very reasonable property but what would your job prospects be?

fussychica Sat 21-Jan-17 16:46:52

If you want south you coukd try parts of Wiltshire. Rents from about £500 pcm. To buy, flats from £100k, 2 bed house about £140k upwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now