Talk

Advanced search

Minor 'digs' in front others - AIBU?

(9 Posts)
Brightredpencil Sat 21-Jan-17 11:08:02

Prefacing this AIBU by accepting upfront that this sounds petty.

I was out at a dinner last night with a few friends, my husband and children and enquired to the group about a local landmark that was visible but seemingly impossible to get to. This was discussed by everyone and apparently the roads are difficult in anything other than a 4x4 and the paths are tricky to walk especially at this time of year. My husband then quips "well brightredpencil, you can borrow my bike if you like" and then laughs.
I am very overweight and my usual style in let's just say not outdoorsy (make-up, very styled appearance). It was clear that he was being sarcastic.
He does this all the time. Another recent occiasion he said, again in front of our friends, that he could never be a house husband because I would never be able to earn as much as him.
AIBU to think that this is mean behaviour?

MrsJayy Sat 21-Jan-17 11:13:46

Yes it is mean making fun of you infront of others he thinks he is hilarious dh used to do similar till i called him on it infront of the people we were with it was awkward for dh and friends but I am quite brazen Dh stopped making jokes at my expense. Next time ask him what he means as you dont get his joke.

WonkoTheSane42 Sat 21-Jan-17 11:16:17

Will never understand how people who are supposed to love you can behave like this.

Believeitornot Sat 21-Jan-17 11:16:30

Yes it's horrible. My DH does this a bit and I don't like social occasion with him. Now I just give it back. I've also spoken to him about it and he's been a bit better. I think it's his insecurities.

Magzmarsh Sat 21-Jan-17 11:20:14

That's nasty. The very few times my dh has done that to me in company I've called him out on it immediately. Don't stand for it op

Brightredpencil Sat 21-Jan-17 11:22:09

It's weird because both these times I now look back and remember that actually other people looked uncomfortable and didn't laugh along but just looked at me in a kind of embarrassd way. I feel embarrased and yet sort of grateful to our friends for not laughing along.

MrsJayy Sat 21-Jan-17 11:27:16

Yes your friends thought he was behaving like a twat. Last time dh did it he tried to make out i was a naggy wife who didnt let him do anything we were out with his workmates and partners i had to speak up he was being a twat

SanitysSake Sat 21-Jan-17 11:31:19

He's demeaning you for a cheap laugh - when no one with an ounce of respect for you would find that in any way shape or form, amusing.

It shows he has very little respect for you.

Id've been tempted to reply with a swift 'fuck you'.

You need to tell him to pack it in immediately. You're worth more than that.

WhooooAmI24601 Sat 21-Jan-17 11:36:11

DH and I laugh at/with each other often, we don't take life terribly seriously. However we're never unkind and we'd never do it in front of others. I'm not sure how I'd feel if he did but wouldn't hesitate to call him out on it. It's downright meanness and YANBU to feel hurt over it. Speak to him and tell him it's hurt you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now