Talk

Advanced search

Do you really want us to leave...

(220 Posts)
guest2013 Sat 21-Jan-17 10:53:26

I'm European.
Last night I stupidly allowed myself to rise to someone telling me to go back to where I came from.. it ended up with about 6 people arguing with me and they were adamant that foreigners are to blame for the country's problems.
It's absolutely shook me to my core.. I feel very strange today, I've never, in my 8 years here had any negative comments. Lucky I suppose.
Are people who think this way unreasonable? Are there any exceptions where immigrants are a negative thing?
Do any of you think this way?
I'm not looking to carry on arguing but this is a safe way to discuss and I would respect your opinion.
Thanks

NicknameUsed Sat 21-Jan-17 10:54:57

I am the daughter of an immigrant. I have never thought this way.

sooperdooper Sat 21-Jan-17 10:55:51

I'm sorry you've been spoken to that way, for what it's worth I think they were utterly wrong and I'm embarrassed and angry that people are saying these things

I have nothing against immigrants in this country and think many bring more to the UK than some people born & bred here!

BewtySkoolDropowt Sat 21-Jan-17 10:56:26

No, I don't want you to leave. I want the bigots and racists to leave.

You are welcome here.

Magzmarsh Sat 21-Jan-17 10:56:53

This country wouldn't last 5 minutes without immigrants. Ignore these arse holes op flowers

justinelibertine Sat 21-Jan-17 10:57:04

Nooooo. I definitely do NOT want you to leave. Other cultures and languages make our communities what they are.
The people arguing with you are clueless because if you look into most people's backgrounds we are all 'foreigners' from some other generation.
PS. I love love hearing bi lingual pre schoolers at surestart centres and elsewhere.
Please stay.

Perfectlypurple Sat 21-Jan-17 10:57:39

Sorry this happened. I don't feel that what. I do feel that there are some invidual immigrants that should not be allowed to be on our streets due to horrendous criminal behaviour but I feel the same way about some uk born people due to the same.

On the whole immigration is not a negative issue for me.

Softkitty2 Sat 21-Jan-17 10:58:47

Brexit has made people 'brave' of outwardly showing racism, misogyny, intolerance and idiocy.

Some people seem to think immigrants have taken the work of the local people, unfortunately you cannot fix lazy and entitlement.

There is such a thing as positive migration. I would love to see how these people who have spoken to you this way decline treatment in a diverse NHS.

sobeyondthehills Sat 21-Jan-17 10:59:03

I said this to a friend the other day, people are blaming foreigners, the gay community, people on benefits, single parents, disabled people, everyone except the people who should be to blame. The governments who have landed us in this position.

Personally I think people who think foreigners to blame are unreasonable, the reason why we still still have a NHS is, in my opinion, because of people coming over here from other countries.

I am also of the view, maybe we should be looking at our immigration policy, but to close off our boarders is not the way to go about it.

The UK is a mongrel population, just like everywhere in the world. Scientists have proved there is no such thing as a "race" anymore.

I am sorry, you have had such a negative experience but that is a few people, I am would like to think its the minority of people, but who knows what anyone else think,s

Niskayuna Sat 21-Jan-17 10:59:52

I'm so sorry, Guest. I can assure you half the country are appalled at this acceptance of outright racism. To gang up on you like that is abhorrent. 6 against one, how brave they are. I wonder if any of them alone would have been so bold.

Where did this happen? Work? School/Uni? You should be safe there and there are laws to protect you from that kind of harassment.

I do not want us to leave the EU, I do not believe foreigners are to blame for the government's flaws, and I am in intensive Spanish classes right now because if they expel the Europeans, I am going too, and if we leave the single market, I am going too.

My family are racist, Leave-voting, foreigner-hating and ignorant, and have already made it clear that those who don't agree with their views can "fuck off to Bongo Bongo land", and I would love to see their gormless faces when I do.

SugarLoveHeart Sat 21-Jan-17 11:00:00

No. I lived in the UK 20 years ago, as a non-national, and nobody had a problem with me. I was made very welcome. I met lots of people of other nationalities & lots of folk who were Brits with immigrant patents or grandparents. Loved the mix of cultures in London. I'm so shocked & dissapointed by the way things are going now...

TheHauntedFishtank Sat 21-Jan-17 11:00:12

No I don't flowers However I wouldn't blame you for wanting to leave, I'll be leaving myself if things carry on this way.

guest2013 Sat 21-Jan-17 11:00:14

You've made me cry. Thank you! It's really knocked my confidence.

DoctorDonnaNoble Sat 21-Jan-17 11:00:40

Nope! Please stay. I'd like the bigots to leave

unicornsIlovethem Sat 21-Jan-17 11:00:52

Exactly what fish tank said^^

Therealloislane Sat 21-Jan-17 11:01:06

They are racists. Cowards.

I spent a long time in hospital & if it hadn't been for immigrants I'm not sure I'd have been OK.

You're not immigrants to me, you're a lovely human being the same as me x

OddJobsHat Sat 21-Jan-17 11:01:22

Pandoras box has been open post brexit.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Sat 21-Jan-17 11:01:55

I'm sorry you had to deal with such prejudice and yes they are absolutely unreasonable

Sadly some people will want you to leave but they are in the minority

Leaving Europe is a much bigger issue than just immigration that's not to say it wasn't the only reason for some to vote that way

Sadly we are seeing big changes in the western world the writing was on the wall for a long time but ignored and it has allowed populist politics to grow and within that prejudice by some to be justified

AWaspOnAWindowInAHeatwave Sat 21-Jan-17 11:02:31

Nobody should be spoken to like that OP. But really - why allow yourself to feel bad about some stupid racist bigot's stupid racist views! If they're stupid enough to think that in the first place, they're certainly too stupid to take your argument on board.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Sat 21-Jan-17 11:04:18

Leaving the EU (obviously we are not leaving Europe)

guest2013 Sat 21-Jan-17 11:05:00

It was at a party. I did manage to hold my own but for everything I said they had another point to make. I don't think anyone really knew how much it upset me. An acquaintance said oh but they don't mean you, they mean the homeless ones living in London parks.

CoraPirbright Sat 21-Jan-17 11:05:38

Oh dear. You have come across a group of, I believe the technical term is, "morons". I am so sorry you have been made to feel this way. Makes me laugh really - if they got their way and all the immigrants actually did go "back from where they came from" this entire country would fall apart!! Ignore the racists twats - there are still enough nice, normal people here to make living in the UK worthwhile.

Threelittlerobins Sat 21-Jan-17 11:07:47

I voted leave. My grandfather was an immigrant and DP came here as an asylum seeker. We aren't all racist. Sorry you had to experience that.

Sandsnake Sat 21-Jan-17 11:08:29

Not me. Not my husband. None of my family or friends. None of the people I work with.

So sorry that happened to you. If I'd been there when it happened I would have had your back, as would most MN'ers I think. What pathetic cowards they sound, I wish we could have a vote to make them leave. flowers

guest2013 Sat 21-Jan-17 11:09:29

This is just what I needed to hear.. thanks for your kind words. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now