Talk

Advanced search

Use of 'tis', 'twas', 'dost' and other such terms

(30 Posts)
booklooker Sat 21-Jan-17 10:41:28

Do MNers find it vaguely amusing when others try to use arcane English.

I don't, I find it reeks of pretentious twattery.

I don't particularly like the use of the term 'twattery' either.

And I have probably misused the term 'Arcane'

AgentProvocateur Sat 21-Jan-17 10:45:00

I quite like it. All adds to the rich tapestry of language.

Archaic.

OfstedAintEverything Sat 21-Jan-17 10:45:38

Nay, tis unreasonable....

grin

CaoNiMa Sat 21-Jan-17 11:12:18

I love it. I also enjoy the subjunctive. If only it were more common!

IdaDown Sat 21-Jan-17 11:29:30

'Betwixt' - a favourite of estate agents.

Anniegetyourgun Sat 21-Jan-17 11:30:00

I use that stuff (I may have been the first to say on MN "hie thee unto a solicitor"). I love that stuff. But don't forget the apostrophes. It should be 'tis and 'twas. It gives me gyp when people use archaisms incorrectly, such as "he art a twat" or "thee has a face like a prune". Still, kudos for trying.

I even speak that way IRL. Confuses the life out of younger colleagues. I shift from archaic, to formal modern, to netspeak, via profanity and back again, by way of St Custard's. ("An thou wert educated like wot I is, you'd effing know that, innit?") English is such a wonderful, rich language, why not use all of it? Even a bit of French and Latin while you're at it (acknowledging the excellent AgentProvocateur, with whose post above I thoroughly agree). We keep pinching words and phrases from other languages. It seems perfectly in keeping with our larcenous tendencies to pinch them from other centuries as well.

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 21-Jan-17 11:33:32

Like 'gotten' and other things MN finds annoying, speech in Ireland is liberally peppered with 'tis'.

Anniegetyourgun Sat 21-Jan-17 11:53:26

The excellent Bill Bryson points out that a lot of words and spellings we call Americanisms are in fact old Anglicisms. The language diverged a couple of hundred years ago and we kept some bits while they kept other bits.

Chloe84 Sat 21-Jan-17 11:55:36

Nah, I quite like it. I do get a bit annoyed by the following but just ignore it:

I seen her (instead of saw)
I text him (instead of texted)

meditrina Sat 21-Jan-17 11:56:35

If making a point about linguistic styles over time or something else historical, then fine.

About anything else, not sure. Would depend on what was being said.

I'm not going to write off loads of posts/posters on a generalisation.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sat 21-Jan-17 12:01:18

A dd and I use such language a lot, along with pepperings of several other lingos, both of us being of a linguist-y persuasion.

Not to mention expressions out of period dramas, in particular P and P, to which we were addicted for ages. E.g. 'This is all EXTREMELY vexing! I am quite put out!' - in the immortal words of Lady Catherine.

We don't care if anyone thinks we are blithering idiots. And a sentence made up of miscellaneous bits and pieces can be very useful on occasion, if you would prefer nobody else within earshot to understand.

booklooker Sat 21-Jan-17 12:07:56

nobody else within earshot

That's the key isn't it

MitzyLeFrouf Sat 21-Jan-17 12:10:33

''This is all EXTREMELY vexing! I am quite put out!' - in the immortal words of Lady Catherine.'

Are the shades of Mumsnet to be thus polluted?

Anniegetyourgun Sat 21-Jan-17 12:14:12

Yeah, not 'alf.

AskinforaFriend Sat 21-Jan-17 12:16:18

GETTING we always say when any of our family are going off somewhere "take every opportunity of enjoying yourself"

MatildaTheCat Sat 21-Jan-17 12:18:09

'Twas ever thus.

Those of us, as aforementioned, who gain small pleasures from our expression of language are reluctant to desist upon the protests of the less linguistically favoured.

I personally get the fucking rage when people write 'text' when they mean texted . Just saying.

cecinestpasunepipe Sat 21-Jan-17 12:18:52

I've mentioned this on a previous thread, but my particular bugbear is " t'internet", or, even worse, "the t'internet"!

TheHiphopopotamus Sat 21-Jan-17 12:19:33

I use 'tis and 'twas as in ''twas a bit of a fuck up' rather than 'Lo, 'twas a deer I spotted over yonder'.

But then I'm from a part of of the country where people still use 'thee' and 'thine' in everyday speech so it comes naturally.

user1477282676 Sat 21-Jan-17 12:19:46

There's a town in North Wales where the accent is slightly different to that of surrounding towns...and they still say "Thee" and "thou"

It's weird but I like it.

user1471545174 Sat 21-Jan-17 13:09:22

I like it but I speak like Annie above smile

OurBlanche Sat 21-Jan-17 13:30:44

Crikey! As Annie and a User have said, I speak like that in real life, every day.

I too am a wordy nerk and such words seem completely normal to me!

I am much amused at the odd juxtaposition of OPs user name and her complaint about words smile

Then again, looking and reading aren't the same thing smile

TheNaze73 Sat 21-Jan-17 13:32:18

I think twat

booklooker Sat 21-Jan-17 13:32:20

Well, you are all cunts in my book. (If you disagree with my op)

Apart from the dear who pointed out I should use 'archaic' rather than 'arcane'

Anniegetyourgun Sat 21-Jan-17 13:34:14

'Spect she only looks at the pictures. Or maybe she looks like a book. Flat both sides and ruffled in the middle.

DoomGloomAndKaboom Sat 21-Jan-17 13:43:51

I think you shouldn't use old english until you have mastered the modern version.

Yes, I mean YOU, people who can't spell 'lose.'

But like I always say, hey nonny nonny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now