Talk

Advanced search

To think it's fucking stupid that there isn't an indicator on inhalers to show how much is left?!

(53 Posts)
NoCapes Fri 20-Jan-17 23:43:38

Just why isn't this a thing?!

I'm sat waiting up for an emergency prescription because DS's inhaler ran out and I had no idea it was low before it was gone
This isn't the first time this has happened

Is it just me or is this just a massive ridiculous design flaw?!
hmm

redannie118 Fri 20-Jan-17 23:46:11

Could not agree with you more !!

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Fri 20-Jan-17 23:46:26

Can you not tell by shaking it? I always can.

Brighteyes27 Fri 20-Jan-17 23:46:53

No I feel exactly the same it's unbelievable.

CherryChasingDotMuncher Fri 20-Jan-17 23:46:54

YANBU! I can kind of tell by shaking it but always get DD's inhalers way before I need them

spongebunnyfatpants Fri 20-Jan-17 23:47:00

Depends what type you have. Mine has one on. If it's a cannister you should be able to shake it to know when it's getting low.

Libitina Fri 20-Jan-17 23:47:06

Was also gonna say shake it.

BananaPie Fri 20-Jan-17 23:47:58

It would be good.

But you can tell by shaking it when it's running low. I always tend to have a spare unopened one stashed away so never actually run out

MonsieurBing Fri 20-Jan-17 23:48:03

It is and I've been caught out before. Now I work out when it should be finished, with a few extra puffs added, and write the date on it. This obviously only works on the preventer inhaler.

crazyspaniellady Fri 20-Jan-17 23:49:35

I had a turbohaler (I think that's what they're called, the twisty ones) when I was younger, they have a little red indicator line when you've only got 20 doses left, if it's the pump inhalers I'd recommend always having at least two on the go so you're not caught short (prescription allowing of course) but they are a nightmare.

PenelopeFlintstone Fri 20-Jan-17 23:49:38

Yes! You can float test them but, yes, they should have counters on them like Seretide does.

NoCapes Fri 20-Jan-17 23:51:19

Monsieur I always have an extra preventer around as I know exactly how long that will last now after writing it down, but with the blue one you just don't know do you

It would just make so much more sense for us to be able to see though wouldn't it?

I can't tell from shaking it confused clearly I'm a bit dense if everyone else can blush

NoCapes Fri 20-Jan-17 23:52:43

crazy I didn't know some had indicators, that just makes so much more sense to me, the pump ones should definitely have the same thing, especially as they're more routinely given to young children

LucyBabs Fri 20-Jan-17 23:54:42

nocapes You're far from dense! I feel the same, wish they had a little window along the edge to see what's left..

cordeliavorkosigan Fri 20-Jan-17 23:55:07

You can weigh them on a good quality kitchen scale. They change by about 8g or 9 from full to empty. My pharmacist also takes the metal canister out and shakes it really close to his ear. You can hear and feel the contents shaking and get a sense for it. I think if it was cost effective someone at gsk would have put an indicator on because yanbu, clearly a good idea!
Maybe their cost effectiveness study didn't include a and e trips for inhalers running out.. Or it's hard to do.

UnbornMortificado Fri 20-Jan-17 23:57:48

NoCapes DD has new one that does indicate. She's at me mams with it or I would of took a photo for you.

It's a round one. Might be worth ringing your surgery and asking about one.

FeelingSmurfy Sat 21-Jan-17 00:01:09

When you get the new one, take the cannister out of each and shake by your ear to get a feel for the difference in weight and sound. You have to take the cannister out though, can't tell when its in the plastic casing

Always have a spare reliever inhaler, I was brought up with them everywhere (school, car, I had one, mum had one, kitchen, bedroom and grandparents house) seconds count when someone has an Asthma attack

They definitely need a counter, something that could be the difference between life and death

AssembleTheMinions Sat 21-Jan-17 00:01:25

Both my inhalers have indicators on them. My reliever has a red dot at 20 doses left and my preventive has a rolling countdown. I had no idea that they weren't all like that.

I would try and keep a spare but that's not always possible I know.

DontTouchTheMoustache Sat 21-Jan-17 00:01:42

Yes! I have a ventolin accuhaler which has a counter but they tried to put me onto one of the spray ones (they said because they are cheaper) but I'm very severe asthmatic and go through 2 ventolin inhalers per month (each with 60 doses of 200 micrograms) and I went back.to the doctor on the verge of a panic attack because I had no idea how to tell.when it was nearly out of doses (of I went without an inhaler for a day I'd probably end up in hospital). Thankfully they switched me.back to one.with a counter.

arethereanyleftatall Sat 21-Jan-17 00:01:56

Yanbu. It's bonkers. I find myself pressing it in front of my eyes to see if there's any left, and if there is, that might have been the last puff!

UnbornMortificado Sat 21-Jan-17 00:03:44

The one DD has, has the number of puffs left showing on it.

Found a photo online that's hers.

NannyR Sat 21-Jan-17 00:07:44

I can easily tell how full they are by shaking them but I've had decades of experience.

HamletsSister Sat 21-Jan-17 00:11:28

And, if they run out, you can squeeze a couple of puffs out of them by immersing the metal cylinder in hot water, or running it under the hot tap.

IvorHughJarrs Sat 21-Jan-17 00:17:11

I always keep a spare reliever inhaler in hand. The GP is fine with this as a Ventolin costs a couple of quid where a call to out of hours costs a lot more.

Dry powder inhalers often have indicators on but I suspect it would not be possible with the aerosol ones. Just ask for a spare

Lunde Sat 21-Jan-17 00:18:04

DD is asthmatic and both of her inhalers show the number of doses left

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now