Talk

Advanced search

To want to know size before we buy?!

(34 Posts)
Happydappy1 Fri 20-Jan-17 21:41:05

Just had a huge row with DH about this so please tell me if I'm in the wrong.

DH has wanted to buy a trampoline for ages, he will use it as will DCs so I am also keen although not so keen on what it will look like in garden but can accept their happiness will be greater so happy to do it.

We haven't got one yet mainly as it's been winter. One has come up for sale tonight on local forum and he's bought it (well he's messaged to someone to say he wants to). He did mention it to me before he sent the initial message to see if available.

I said fine although was a bit annoyed he's arranged to go for it on Sunday morning leaving me on childcare all day without the car even tho he goes out to football Sunday eve. Anyway I digress, I asked him to check the size with the seller (after his initial message) because if it's huge (as in over 14ft) it probably won't fit in our garden.

He went off on one saying the size is totally irrelevant and I'm just trying to stop him getting it / he's definitely not asking the seller because he's already said he wants it. I'm really not trying to stop him getting it, and it sounds like a good deal BUT would prefer to be sure it will be fit before he spends approx 1 day dismantling and putting it up. Surely this is not such a ridiculous question to ask even once you've said you're keen to buy? I did get massively annoyed that he refused to ask the seller...but I can't see why it's so strange I should want to know?!

MiniCooperLover Fri 20-Jan-17 21:43:38

But the size isn't irrelevant ... there are small trampolines and giant ones ?!? How can he not think it important ??

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 20-Jan-17 21:47:15

he's going to look a right pranny hopping up and down on a 6 foot one....or equally trying to fit a 15 foot one in a 12 foot garden

Just leave him to it, let him make a twat of himself and realise why you asked.

mummymummums Fri 20-Jan-17 21:48:22

Seller should have said - DH could just say: "So sorry, just realised I haven't checked the size". That's perfectly reasonable.
YANBU, but he is

mum2Bomg Fri 20-Jan-17 21:49:12

Yep - let him fuck it up and then say nothing whilst he re-lists it for sale...

I hope he has bought one of the toddler sized ones grin

Happydappy1 Fri 20-Jan-17 21:50:28

Thank you, I knew it was a reasonable question!! I also suggested he took a friend to help him dismantle it and he bit my head off about that which again I think is reasonable as it will probably require significant effort and I can't take youngest DC with us to help...you're right though Tondelaya...I'll let him make a twat of himself and get on with it!

mum2Bomg Fri 20-Jan-17 21:50:31

I hope it's and exercise 'trampette'.

Happydappy1 Fri 20-Jan-17 21:51:34

ITS definitely on the side of too big not small, he's seen a photo (as have I fleetingly!) and looked big but photos can be deceiving and so I thought it wise to check...could be anything from 10-20 foot!!!

Happydappy1 Fri 20-Jan-17 21:51:47

Sorry typo It's!

MrsMoastyToasty Fri 20-Jan-17 21:54:29

You also need to find out the maximum weight it will take. We bought an 8ft trampoline, thinking that I could go on it too for exercise. However it will only carry 9st. ...and I'm considerably heavier than that!

Hassled Fri 20-Jan-17 21:55:32

Just spend the time coming up with how to stop yourself saying "I told you so". Even though he'll know that's what you're thinking anyway grin.

DesolateWaist Fri 20-Jan-17 21:55:41

What if it doesn't fit in the car, let alone garden?

Happydappy1 Fri 20-Jan-17 21:58:02

He seems to think he will dismantle it and fit it the car, he has no idea how big it is so not sure how he's calculated this but I'll just leave him to it. I'm really angry now as he was so rude to me telling me I was being crazy, he even told me to F off which he never does. I know I wouldn't drop it (and should have) but clearly I had a point! Anyhow I'm over it now and getting on with my evening. Sort of hope it doesn't fit in the car grin

girlelephant Fri 20-Jan-17 22:07:40

Shameless following for Sunday!

I think it's so odd the seller didn't add a full description?

Happydappy1 Fri 20-Jan-17 22:10:38

Ha yes I'll update on Sunday! I think the ad featured a few things but yes you're right it is a bit odd as it's of great importance with a trampoline!!

BarbaraofSeville Fri 20-Jan-17 22:15:28

This trampoline has to be either toddler size or a massive one from one of those trampoline parks.

Heebejeebees Fri 20-Jan-17 22:16:14

I've built a brand new trampoline... If he has to take it apart and rebuild it will be HELL on earth. They have a special tool to help stretch the spring to the hook, I've lost mine. Check they haven't! Rusty springs etc. Buy new in the sales if you buy one - then you know the size and can build easily. Or get one second hand that you know you can move in one go!

bunnylove99 Fri 20-Jan-17 22:16:28

OP. Just leave him to it - all of it. He clearly hasn't considered size at all. IMO Friday night is the worst point of the week to discuss anything with OH. They are tetchy as hell.

Captainj1 Fri 20-Jan-17 22:20:10

In my experience (we've had two 14 footers, both of which blew away and after the second one ended up in a tree having narrowly missed my car even my DS agreed we shouldn't bother replacing), they are a real bugger to dismantle and put together and it's at least a two man/woman job. Leave him to it! grin

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Fri 20-Jan-17 22:22:14

Here's an idea.. message the seller and ask.

iogo Fri 20-Jan-17 22:23:21

Another shameless place mark. grin

Euphemia Fri 20-Jan-17 22:23:49

I hope it's a Sylvanian Families one, taken with clever photography. grin

GlitteryFluff Fri 20-Jan-17 22:24:29

Is it too soon to mark place for Sunday? grin

ColdFeetinWinter Fri 20-Jan-17 22:26:28

Trampoline....one of those passages of parenthood for me that I am glad not to repeat (along with hamsters, Guinea pigs and rabbits).

1. It was a nightmare in storms despite being held down I never slept well in case it blew away doing damage to property or cars
2. Lived in fear of having to call parents to tell them their darlings had broken their bodies whilst playing on it
3. Lived in fear of my own darlings breaking themselves
4. Mat needed replacing
5. Net needed replacing
6. Ugly metal mess in my garden
7. Pig to dismantle and remove
8. Nightmare to mow under

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now