Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to do a lucky dip instead of party bags?

(31 Posts)
Discopanda Fri 20-Jan-17 19:56:43

Planning DD1's 5th birthday party for the start of March. I have a love/hate relationship with party bags and thought it would be a nice idea to send everyone home with a piece of cake and doing a lucky dip on the way out with wrapped up party bag style toys so everyone gets one surprise thing instead of a bag of tat. Plus it'll be her class plus cousins and family friends so about 40 children....AIBU or is this a good idea?

Guitargirl Fri 20-Jan-17 20:02:18

Crikey - I love doing party bags but even I would draw the line at making 40 of them!

YANBU - def go for the lucky dip. But right at the end as they're leaving to avoid arguments over who's got what.

NormaSmuff Fri 20-Jan-17 20:29:32

i did that,
so i Would vouch for it

NormaSmuff Fri 20-Jan-17 20:29:54

there was a few swapsies going on though admittedly

bunnylove99 Fri 20-Jan-17 20:32:36

Luck dip? - that's a really good idea. I'm glad you are giving them cake too. My children keep coming home cake-free from cake-free parties - very disappointing (for mum).

YouSpinmeRound Fri 20-Jan-17 20:34:39

I've done lucky dip. I filled a box with shredded paper and hid the gifts in there

Wolfiefan Fri 20-Jan-17 20:37:51

Great idea. May steal this next time round!

Magicpaintbrush Fri 20-Jan-17 20:39:30

That is a really good idea and sounds like a lot of fun smile

TheOriginalAngel Fri 20-Jan-17 20:40:51

YANBU
What type of things? I need to pinch this idea too.

Thebookswereherfriends Fri 20-Jan-17 20:42:43

I really like this idea! Definitely doing this at dds party this year, much better than a whole bag of crap.

nicebiscuit25 Fri 20-Jan-17 20:45:40

Maybe Poundland type toys or some book people books

Mehfruittea Fri 20-Jan-17 20:45:50

Also going to steal this! What kind of lucky dip things? Wrapped or unwrapped?

londonrach Fri 20-Jan-17 20:46:55

What a fab idea!!!

CigarsofthePharoahs Fri 20-Jan-17 20:47:01

Brilliant idea!
I shall file that away next time I host a childs party.
For my sons 5th, we were very unsure about numbers due to low RSVPing so I did a sort of tuck shop thing with tubs from a local Costco. The kids loved it! The parents did too - it was interesting as I was expecting the children to take lots of sweets but they didn't.

Yamadori Fri 20-Jan-17 20:47:36

Cross-cut shredded paper is better for lucky dip than the stuff in long strips, which clumps together in a giant impenetrable birds-nest lump!

IRegretNothing Fri 20-Jan-17 20:48:33

I think it's a great idea. Party bags end up being really quite dear and for 40 attendees (and the inevitable guilt tripping by parents asking if they can take another bag for siblings) you'd save a lot of money. If you bought in bulk from Usborne or The book people or even went to Poundland you'd save a lot of money.
As a parent I also hate it when my dc come home with balloons and party bags full of tat. They always end up losing or breaking the contents within minutes and there are often tears. Obviously I appreciate the nice gesture from hosts.
But, you could provide a really nice little gift for under a pound that wasn't the usual party bag bumpf and would keep too.
Winners all round!!

HarryPottersMagicWand Fri 20-Jan-17 20:50:36

Great idea! I've run lucky dips at school fairs/discos and they are always hugely popular and we always run out of toys. Just make sure they are generic toys or different coloured paper and that there are enough for each child.

I'm not doing party bags this year either. I'm doing sweet cones and a piece of cake, much easier, and cheaper actually.

OreoHeaven Fri 20-Jan-17 20:53:31

I did cones with popcorn, chocolate and sweeties for one party and for another I did cupcakes and a personalised crayon.

KitKat1985 Fri 20-Jan-17 20:54:32

Yeah I think it's a good idea. Kids love lucky dip.

1hamwich4 Fri 20-Jan-17 20:57:00

I've done this- it works well and the kids love to unwrap stuff.

IRegretNothing Fri 20-Jan-17 20:58:13

Also, Baker Ross do craft packs which work out around a quid each when you buy 30 or so. I always think it's nice to have something calm for my kids to do when they're coming down from a post party sugar rush!
Last time I did party bags I spent an obscene amount and they were still shite.

4men1lady Fri 20-Jan-17 20:58:15

Sounds like a good idea..could you all give me ideas on what things you would have for the children to dip into?

EweAreHere Fri 20-Jan-17 21:03:12

I did books one year. Bought a few sets of the appropriate level books of The Book People, and every child got to pick out a book. It was very popular.

musicalprof Fri 20-Jan-17 21:04:14

It was always lucky dips for us, rather than party bags.

As other posters have said, packs of books to split are a good bet but I also used to stock-up at this time of year in the January sales; Monsoon was always a good bet for bangles, hair slides, etc at really reduced prices. 😊

Salmotrutta Fri 20-Jan-17 21:05:51

Awww - this brings back memories! grin

Loved a lucky dip when I was a kid!

Go for it OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now