Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to contact trading standards?

(8 Posts)
Steviea88 Fri 20-Jan-17 19:20:48

I'll try and keep this short.

I ordered a sofa from online in October that was being made to measure through a company. We had to pay a deposit then 'cash on collection' the company is a limited company and is company house registered. I said I would do a bank transfer once it was delivered but not cash. That was fine.

Delivery was 9th December waited in all day and kept getting calls from the delivery drivers to say they would be later and later. They eventually told me 2am. Sat up all till then to get a phone call and they said it will be the next day between 11am and 12pm. I popped out and they called at 9 to say they was there.
I'm not sure the above is relevant but thought I'd mention it.

The sofa was all packaged up and the delivery drivers said that they were just delivery men and wouldn't unpack it and put together and off they went.

So I unwrap it all to find a footstool missing. The sofa doesn't clip together because there is too much padding, I had different cushions to what I ordered and there were small holes in the arms.
I contacted the company and they were very apologetic.
Said that they would take money off and promise to have the new one delivered by 29th Jan but I needed to pay the remaining balance.

I wasn't quite comfortable with this but I did really like the sofa and I didn't want to be without one over Christmas. So I agreed. Paid the money after she had sent me in writing that it would be changed blah blah.

So on Wednesday I tried calling, texting, emailing and social media messaging the company to make sure that they were switching yesterday.
No reply.

I say in all day yesterday and didn't hear anything.
I called and text again...no reply.

I finally sent a message threatening with trading standards and they got back in touch straight away. Said that they would look into it.
I said I wanted to hear back by lunchtime today and I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.
That if they had contacted me and said there was a delay then I would have been fine but to completely ignore my attempts at contacting them was terrible.

At 3 I messaged again asking what was happening.

Got a reply saying we are looking into it.

I messaged again at 5 and again at 7 and still had no reply.

Shall I contact trading standards about them? Or give them a few more days to see what is happening?

Steviea88 Fri 20-Jan-17 19:21:09

Wow that's not short at all- sorry!

Steviea88 Fri 20-Jan-17 19:22:22

The 19th Jan not 29th

BikeRunSki Fri 20-Jan-17 19:24:47

Did you mean 19th Jan? Because its not 29th yet?

If you did mean 19th, then yes, I'd contact trading standards.

Steviea88 Fri 20-Jan-17 19:25:10

Yes sorry 19th Jan- yesterday

CatsRidingRollercoasters Fri 20-Jan-17 19:29:26

Yep, trading standards. That's appalling.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 20-Jan-17 19:34:25

How did you pay the deposit and how much was it? If it was on a credit card and over £100 you can lodge a dispute with your credit card company too.

Steviea88 Fri 20-Jan-17 19:35:58

I paid by bank transfer.
Not the best of ideas I know but the company has nothing but good reviews. That will teach me just to go Dfs in future.

Definitely gonna send an email to trading standards tonight.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: