Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why do they ruin food with the "new and improved" shite

(17 Posts)
Soubriquet Fri 20-Jan-17 14:56:20

Plus how can something be new AND improved?

Surely it's either new OR improved?

But I digress

My favourite curry sauce has changed! New label with a new taste. It still tastes ok but it's not the same.

Why do they do this?

Leave my food alone you tosspots!

I don't care if it's lower salt or lower sugar, I want to eat what I want and I want it to taste good! If I want low fat/salt/sugar I will buy the alternative

spaXXlappazz Fri 20-Jan-17 15:01:45

It's usually because they've found a way to make it cheaper. For them, of course, not you.

"Improved" is a very subjective term anyway. I will decide whether the new flavour is an improvement, thanks very much.

faceremovinghaircream Fri 20-Jan-17 15:07:28

I know. Linda mcartney sausauges are dry and don't taste half as nice after so called improvements.

Soubriquet Fri 20-Jan-17 15:09:47

"Improved" is a very subjective term anyway. I will decide whether the new flavour is an improvement, thanks very much.

Yes! And then they wonder why sales suddenly drop. They may save themselves money but end up losing a lot of loyal customers.

I've always bought that brand as it's the nicest but I think I will look at others now

Scrowy Fri 20-Jan-17 15:10:49

McDonalds chicken nuggets angry

Palomb Fri 20-Jan-17 15:16:06

Cadbury chocolate is case in point here.

Tastes much worse but is cheaper to make.

DollyMcDolly Fri 20-Jan-17 15:21:24

I haven't used Patak's Tikka Masala sauce for a long time as the new recipe is disgusting. Made me learn to cook my own curries actually so it's a good thing but sometimes I like having a 'lazy' curry. Shame.

Soubriquet Fri 20-Jan-17 15:23:07

Cadburys is a very good point yes

I used to use Sharwoods jalfrezi.

Was really yum

Now it just doesn't quite hit the spot

hennaoj Sat 21-Jan-17 09:52:28

I'd much rather they put the price up by a few pence than wreck it. Tesco finest lemon curd just isn't the same anymore. Toblerones are a joke now. Tesco used to do nice gluten free fresh bread, now it is almost inedible.

Katinkka Sat 21-Jan-17 09:59:42

What about Crusha! It used to be so nice!

Soubriquet Sat 21-Jan-17 09:59:46

I would rather pay too

JovialNickname Sat 21-Jan-17 12:01:05

They have done this with Hellmans "Real" (ha ha) mayonnaise.

It used to be the proper, indulgent, dollopy good stuff. Since they have "improved" the recipe - under the guise of allowing you to get more out the bottle whilst of course making it cheaper to produce - it both looks and tastes like runny white birdshit.

SingingSilver Sat 21-Jan-17 14:40:23

Ugh, I know. We used to buy Flora, then about 5 years ago it suddenly started tasting like that awful 'St Ivel Gold' crap from the 80s. I made macaroni cheese with it and all you could smell and taste was 'new and improved Flora'.

We switched to another brand, so I don't know if it still has the 'new and improved' rancid taste or not...

Olivialoves Sat 21-Jan-17 14:46:16

Well apart from it being not possible for something to be both new, and improved, I'm with you on this.
years ago they did it with Skips... they taste completely different.
Sometimes the differences make a whole different bloody product!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sat 21-Jan-17 14:49:33

It usually means they have put in some palm oil in or some such crap.

jay55 Sat 21-Jan-17 14:53:04

A million years ago Special K used to be like squashed rice crispies and not hard lumps of sugar. I'll never forgive them.

Somewhereundertheduvet Sat 21-Jan-17 14:58:19

Sainsbury's used to do a nice Butter Chicken. My DD loved it.
Now it tastes as if it's covered in bar b cue sauce, not Indian flavoured at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now