Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect decent service from apple?

(16 Posts)
Snowfire Fri 20-Jan-17 14:50:21

My brother very generously bought my DD an iPhone 7 for Xmas. As you can imagine, she was absolutely over the moon until it started glitching and playing up... the home button wasn't working properly and it was 'boot looping'. We went to our local apple retailer who said I should contact apple direct and ask for a replacement as the phone was effectively dead on arrival. I spoke to apple that day who agreed to replace the phone and I posted it to them. However, the phone is now in a repair process, I spoke to them today and reiterated that I was told I could expect a replacement but now they are saying they are going to try and fix it. This will mean we would effectively be receiving a refurbished item phone... I'm not happy at all.

abbrev Fri 20-Jan-17 14:55:45

I think that's fine service.

Snowfire Fri 20-Jan-17 15:03:12

Say you bought a kettle from Argos, got home and found it didn't work, would you expect them to try and fix it? Or offer you a replacement/refund?

rjay123 Fri 20-Jan-17 15:13:10

The law says they can try and repair... so they are following the law.

abbrev Fri 20-Jan-17 15:17:06

You're adding in the word 'try'. If they fixed my kettle, I would be happy.

This kettle scenario is similar to the last car we bought. Had a small part fixed or replaced (not really sure which) after a light came up on the dash within a month of owning it. Got the same car back fixed.

MadeForThis Fri 20-Jan-17 15:19:54

I think you will find that when Apple exchange your phone it is to a refurbished one anyway.

EssentialHummus Fri 20-Jan-17 15:21:08

I think what they're doing is fine. If you want to escalate things, Apple is one of those companies where complaints to management work, so you can write to Tim Cook and complain, and whatever poor soul is in charge of repairs in Glasgow (or wherever you are) will be sent the email and expected to act on it. But I think YABU.

BusterTheBulldog Fri 20-Jan-17 15:26:12

Did you go to an actual Apple shop in the first place? They have generally replaced there and then for me in past.

Snowfire Fri 20-Jan-17 15:35:23

That's what I was told I could expect Buster. My brother bought the phone online direct from apple. When I initially spoke to them, the said they would send a new one when I sent the broken one to them. Now I have to wait up to 2 weeks for them to decide what to do.

wasonthelist Fri 20-Jan-17 15:37:25

YABU Apple isn't about good service - they are about crazy prices. My Ma buys a lot of stuff off them and they treat her like scum on the whole.

Trufflethewuffle Fri 20-Jan-17 15:43:18

I'm surprised they didn't replace it on the spot. DD had hers replaced recently when we were expecting to pay for a repair.

10 month old iPhone 6 Plus, DD had snapped the headphone jack and then had tried to dig out the broken bit thus causing more damage.

The member of staff said that the repair would cost £££ and then he went out the back. Came back and presented her with a brand new replacement.

I was pretty impressed with that. Hope you get a replacement.

Idrinkandiknowstuff Fri 20-Jan-17 15:46:32

Too late now, but for future reference take it to an Apple Store if at all possible, they will indeed replace it on the spot.

Snowfire Fri 20-Jan-17 15:56:01

Trouble is, my nearest Apple Store is a 100 mile round trip.

Libitina Fri 20-Jan-17 15:58:21

Their service is not as good as it used to be. I was a victim of 'bendgate' and had to kick off big style, both in the store and on social media to get them to exchange my phone free of charge as they said there was not a known problem (I'd done my research so I knew there was) and it must have been my fault.

I got what I was entitled to eventually. I've had Apple products for at least 12 years and that was the first problem I'd had though.

Gooseygoosey12345 Fri 20-Jan-17 16:05:19

If you have proof that they promised a replacement email that to them and say that's what you expect but actually they are well within the law and I do think you are being a bit unreasonable

lurkinghusband Fri 20-Jan-17 16:20:30

We went to our local apple retailer who said I should contact apple direct and ask for a replacement

That was the start of your problem. In UK consumer law (for now) the retailer is liable for replacing/refunding in the event of faulty merchandise. Certainly for an item less than a month old. Assuming (and that's the catch) proof of purchase, you should have insisted the retailer replace the phone.

(why don't they teach this stuff at school ?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now