Talk

Advanced search

Pioneering MRI scanner used to diagnose prostate cancer

(15 Posts)
Griffey Fri 20-Jan-17 10:38:22

I had to hurl abuse at my radio this morning on the way to work. Apparently the MRI scanner has transformed the way men are diagnosed with prostate cancer as before it was too invasive. TOO FECKING INVASIVE - try bloody smear tests and mammograms not to mention other invasive prodding and poking women go through to get pregnant, whilst pregnant and giving birth. But oh no! Having a physical exam by a doctor is too bloody invasive. Obviously it is extremely distressing time to be diagnosed with cancer, but really?

user1484317265 Fri 20-Jan-17 10:40:24

WTF is your problem? A better way to diagnose cancer, a way that will mean more people will go for screening and more lives will be saved.

That is something to whine about on aibu, in your world?

hmm

Kannet Fri 20-Jan-17 11:11:59

Actually the invasive testing for prostrate cancer is much worse than smears etc.. high risk of infection and very painful

PurpleDaisies Fri 20-Jan-17 11:13:37

Do you know anything about how prostate cancer is diagnosed? Clearly not from your op. biscuit

PurpleDaisies Fri 20-Jan-17 11:15:32

www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/prostate-cancer/getting-diagnosed/tests-diagnose/transrectal-ultrasound-guided-trus-biopsy

PacificDogwod Fri 20-Jan-17 11:16:10

Griffey, em, I think the 'invasive' bit is the repeated biopsies via their teuchter that men have to have to make diagnosis of prostate cancer.
A digital per rectum examination is, yes, a bit embarrassing and unpleasant, but the subsequent biopsies have real risks like haemorrhage, pain, erectile dysfunction and incontinence.
So, I take you point if it was just a finger up the bum, but it ain't grin

FizzBombBathTime Fri 20-Jan-17 11:16:24

Oh dear.

MoonriseKingdom Fri 20-Jan-17 11:21:58

What a horrible post.

This is for diagnosis, not screening. Biopsies for prostate cancer are a lot more than a rectal exam. Also if MRI is being used in this pioneering way for prostate cancer it may well be developed into applications that will hugely benefit women as well.

Sirzy Fri 20-Jan-17 11:23:33

So basically just because it won't benefit you personally your angry at a great medical step forward?

PurpleDaisies Fri 20-Jan-17 11:25:31

So basically just because it won't benefit you personally your angry at a great medical step forward?

I might well benefit the op if her father/son/husband/male friend is diagnosed with prostate cancer at an earlier treatable stage due to this new technology.

People like the op make me really angry.

SaucyJack Fri 20-Jan-17 11:30:30

It isn't actually a comparison anyway.

Biopsies are only carried out on men who've had blood test results that have shown markers for prostate cancer, whereas smear tests are given to symptomless healthy women on the very, very remote offchance that they might develop cancer at some point in the future.

PacificDogwod Fri 20-Jan-17 11:33:27

No, I agree, it is not a valid comparison.

And I take your point about smears, Saucy.

Some of course would argue that there is not enough screening for men done.... hmm
Just sayin'.
Two sides to every coin.

Harrysgirl17 Fri 20-Jan-17 11:36:40

Your post has made me so cross. My father has advanced prostate cancer and did not find out till he was pissing blood! He had no symptoms and there is no screening programme in place for men, unlike women who get tested for cervical cancer every three years and mammograms from 50.
Let me tell you seeing someone you love go through what is a very brutal biopsy, high risk of sepsis and even death in extreme cases, plus seeing them degenerate from the treatment to keep the prostate cancer dormant is heartbreaking.

So please before you make such stupid anti male comments, go educate yourself on what's involved.

DJBaggySmalls Fri 20-Jan-17 11:39:51

biscuit

Harrysgirl17 Fri 20-Jan-17 11:49:15

One man dies every hour from prostate cancer, yet there is no screening programme. I applaud this MRI scan as it will detect cancer earlier and how aggressive. All we need now is a urine test for men from the age of 45 so they can all be checked. To save them from the horrors of this cruel disease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now