Talk

Advanced search

To think Facebook is now full of awful animal abuse images

(24 Posts)
Snugglepalace Fri 20-Jan-17 10:12:51

I've deactivated today as I just can not emotionally handle these images anymore. I don't know where on earth people on my friends list get these images from but it's a constant stream of neglected or abused dogs coming through my timeline. This morning for instance there were photos of two fucking bastards who gave ripped a poor puppy's ears off and uploaded these images online. I can't get the image out of my head now I feel like screaming angrysad

RoganJosh Fri 20-Jan-17 10:14:15

Nor can I now. Thanks.

TooManyButtons Fri 20-Jan-17 10:15:22

I knew as soon as I saw the thread title what pictures you were talking about. I saw the same one, and although I hid the post straight away I can't stop seeing it in my head, it's really upsetting me. Why the fuck do people share photos like that??

LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Fri 20-Jan-17 10:17:44

Yanbu. I saw the post you're talking about yesterday. Posted by a self-proclaimed dog lover.

They're always posted in the name of justice, name and shame, find these people etc. A bit of googling will, in most cases, tell you that they've already been caught and it turns out these images are being shared for nothing, other than to shock and appal.

You have to wonder what's wrong with these people.

Snugglepalace Fri 20-Jan-17 10:18:22

Wasn't it awful, I have had to deactivate its too heartbreaking - what the hells wrong with some people?!

deadringer Fri 20-Jan-17 10:18:54

I saw that too it keeps coming up every time i log in. I don't think there is even anything practical we can do as those scumbags live in Turkey i beleive.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Fri 20-Jan-17 10:19:27

Thankfully nobody on my friends list would post pictures like that. They wouldn't stay on the list for long if they did. It's twisted to share these pictures, voyeuristic and morbid. Especially as we lost our wee cat on the road yesterday, I'm particularly emotional today.

Snugglepalace Fri 20-Jan-17 10:20:34

Luckily my dc are still quite young and haven't yet got on to social media but these sort of images would destroy my dd she adores animals.

foxessocks Fri 20-Jan-17 10:21:02

Yep I knew as soon as I saw the title what pictures you meant. A FB friend posted them yesterday and said and also wrote some stupid message about sorry for upsetting people but it's just so important that we don't bury our heads in the sand. Well whilst that may be true I was really upset by the images and I didn't actually need to see them tbh.

Snugglepalace Fri 20-Jan-17 10:21:51

Sorry savor that's horrid I feel your pain having lost 3 cats to the road sad

Snugglepalace Fri 20-Jan-17 10:24:32

I do hope the bastards were caught and some charity took the poor mite in (wishful thinking!)

user1484317265 Fri 20-Jan-17 10:38:43

It the people you have chosen to have on your facebook feed that are sharing this stuff. It's not FB, its your friends, and your choices.

I don't recognise what you are talking about because this stuff doesn't appear on my feed, because of my choices in friends.

So YABU.

876TaylorMade Fri 20-Jan-17 10:41:06

It's not all of Facebook.

Remember your Facebook consists of your friends and acquaintances...

So it's really them who are posting/sharing that type of content.... maybe change your friends list ... YABU about the entire site...

But YANBU about the awful images.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 20-Jan-17 10:45:02

learn how to use facebook, and block the source of these posts

on almost every post you have the choice to

HIDE the post (see fewer posts like this)
UNFOLLOW (the person who posted it)
HIDE ALL FROM xxxxx (xxxx being the source of the story)

along with options to block/report or save post.

Do something proactive and yes...thanks for spreading the joy about the animal abuse 3)

Snugglepalace Fri 20-Jan-17 10:49:59

But that's the thing, it isn't one particular person, different ones will post these things at different times so there is no way of knowing who is going to post from one day to the next! If I do reactivate looks like I'm going to have to have a serious
cull!

floopyloopy Fri 20-Jan-17 10:57:28

I agree. There were 2 yesterday. The puppy, and one about karma. Sounded innocent until i clicked.

I watched about 2 seconds. Man goes to throw a dog in a lake but falls over himself. Fucking awful.

Snugglepalace Fri 20-Jan-17 11:05:39

Todelay 'thanks for spreading the joy about the animal abuse' you too have the choice, you didn't have to view my post!

Julia2016 Fri 20-Jan-17 11:10:49

Oh I saw that too yesterday evening and it literally ruined my evening and I found it so hard to sleep.

I have chosen to hide future posts like that for a lot of my friends so I don't see as much anymore but this one caught me unawares.

I know what goes on. It breaks my heart a lot. I do my bit in my locality for animal welfare but I have zero control or can do nothing about what some hideous people do. I know that's probably a cop out and I know I probably should sign every petition but I can't mentally cope with all the images, it's just too much for the likes of me who love animals so much. Yet it makes me guilty too when I don't read those posts. sad

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 20-Jan-17 11:16:35

yes they come from different people, but if you HIDE ALL from the SOURCE then it doesn't matter how many of your ridiculous friends share the post because YOU have blocked the source

or you know what you could just continue to bleat on about it cos it's just too horrid

and yes you are sharing the animal abuse, there was no need to go into the specific details was there?

Snugglepalace Fri 20-Jan-17 11:23:21

Same here Julia, I adore animals and care for dogs and find these images hard to take. It wouldn't be so bad if they were posted by charities that we could help in some way but in most cases it is just the images being circulated which makes me feel so helpless. When I reactivate I will see who are the main posters on my friends list and unfriend/hide the posts but I fear it won't stop completely.

Faez Fri 20-Jan-17 11:26:34

So glad I deactivated my account a few days ago, that would really disturb me. I was fed up with gullible (in real life seemingly sensible) people sharing this kind of crap. As others have said the culprits had probably already been caught and it was just put up for likes and shares.
BTW if you want to deactivate fb but remain in contact with people you can now still keep messenger.

redexpat Fri 20-Jan-17 11:31:21

Facebook is merely the platform for your friends to share what they think is important. If you dont like what you see then the problem lies with your friend list and not facebook.

DaisyDanzel Fri 20-Jan-17 11:49:03

I also saw this thread and knew exactly which post you were talking about OP.

I am a huge animal lover, I work as a dog groomer. This post upset me so so much. I couldn't/can't stop thinking about it. That poor baby 😢. I simply can't read more about the story, it's too horrible. The only thought that could help to settle my mind a bit was that these men must be known and hopefully caught. And the dog being loved and cared for.

Snugglepalace Fri 20-Jan-17 12:26:11

That's how I'm thinking Daisy and hoping the dog is now in the care of kind loving people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now