Talk

Advanced search

Melania has made a terrible mistake hasn't she?

(350 Posts)
LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Fri 20-Jan-17 09:36:22

Trump prods reluctant Melania to speak

She doesn't want to be there.

I feel quite sorry for her.

LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Fri 20-Jan-17 09:37:21

That should read terrible mistake!

NathanBarleyrocks Fri 20-Jan-17 09:38:08

I'm pretty sure she has quite an easy life apart from the odd outing?! She doesn't have to be married to him.

Cosmicglitterpug Fri 20-Jan-17 09:38:42

I think her mistake was marrying Trump.

Funclesmuck Fri 20-Jan-17 09:38:44

I think your right, she's made a terrible! grin

LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Fri 20-Jan-17 09:39:39

I get the ominous feeling that if she wanted to leave, it wouldn't be that simple at all.

sadie9 Fri 20-Jan-17 09:39:40

I know. I felt so sorry for her. Either you are going to make a speech which you have prepared, or you are not going to make a speech. You don't kinda decide on the way up. It looks like Melania and Donald hadn't spoken to each other for a month let alone all day. They obviously had not discussed who would speak or not speak.
As sole president, chief exec of his own empire for many years, I doubt the 70yr old Donald is used to offering the stage to his wife. I doubt very much he ever consults her on anything.

YouTheCat Fri 20-Jan-17 09:39:41

She went into the marriage with her eyes wide open. So boo fucking hoo.

I don't feel sorry for her.

BarbarianMum Fri 20-Jan-17 09:41:57

She went into the marriage knowing her dh would be made President? She knew a lot more than most of us then.

mambono5 Fri 20-Jan-17 09:44:10

Give the woman a break, if she was not prepared she spoke very well.

She can be as involved as she wants, and be realistic,she had gone through the campaign already.

When you hear Kate Windsor mumbling a text that she only has to read and had hours to practice, it's mean to attack Melania. I think the UK should keep quiet on that one, we are embarrassing. (yes, I am aware that the Duchess of Cambridge is not the equivalent of the USA First Lady, wife of the elected president).

GinIsIn Fri 20-Jan-17 09:44:38

She probably hadn't been able to download a previous Michelle Obama speech quickly enough to read it out.... hmm

Imaystillbedrunk Fri 20-Jan-17 09:45:28

She looks like a woman trapped.

Pluto30 Fri 20-Jan-17 09:45:51

Who gives a rats that she doesn't want to speak? English isn't her native language and after criticism she's received in the past, I'm not surprised she's reluctant.

The Trump family bashing threads are getting tiresome.

Elroya1 Fri 20-Jan-17 09:46:49

I am sure she knew exactly what she was getting into when she married him.

LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Fri 20-Jan-17 09:47:23

I'm not attacking her at all. I'm saying that Trump essentially forcing her to speak in front of hundreds of people when she didn't want to was a breathtakingly shit thing to do, and that I feel sorry for her.

She left that stage looking utterly miserable.

Pluto30 Fri 20-Jan-17 09:49:39

The whole "it wouldn't be simple to leave" thing is just hmm though, considering he has ex wives who were seemingly quite able to leave.

It's just assumptions based on your general dislike of Trump.

DearMrDilkington Fri 20-Jan-17 09:50:03

I agree with you, she looked extremely uncomfortable and it was a very shit thing to do to your wife.

LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Fri 20-Jan-17 09:50:25

That he's generally controlling and a bully? That's not really my opinion, it's fact.

Bluntness100 Fri 20-Jan-17 09:50:28

>>She went into the marriage with her eyes wide open. So boo fucking hoo.
<<

Well I'm not sure how she'd have known he'd be president all those years ago.🙄

I suspect it's now more a marriage of convenience and yes I doubt she wanted this level of scrutiny or to be First Lady. I very much doubt she will turn into Michelle Obama , more she will do the bare minimum and keep a low profile. I suspect that's why his daughter is stepping in, as Melania is uncomfortable in the spotlight .

I wouldn't be surprised if the marriage ended if I'm honest. The only way it will last is if he decides marriage is a positive for him and keeps it going for that reason only. He wouldn't be the first president to do it, let's be honest.

YouTheCat Fri 20-Jan-17 09:50:39

All I meant was, she knew he was a massive twat when she married him. She either married him for his personality (which would make her also a massive twat because he's a vile human being) or she married him for his money.

I still have no sympathy for her.

Pluto30 Fri 20-Jan-17 09:52:00

That he's generally controlling and a bully? That's not really my opinion, it's fact.

Wasn't aware you knew the ins and outs of his relationships, or his nature in them. Carry on.

LaContessaDiPlump Fri 20-Jan-17 09:52:14

I feel for her, yes. Regardless of whether or not she anticipated any of this, I don't think her life has been particularly free or easy for the past year. The words 'gilded cage' spring to mind.

I read a BBC article on her hometown and youth, and it was telling that no-one from her hometown had anything negative to say about her, even in coded language; it all came across as genuine praise. I think she is probably a relatively simple sort of person (which is not to say unintelligent, at all) and finds the obfuscation and bluster of her husband somewhat hard to cope with (understandably).

LadyGlitterSparklesSeriously Fri 20-Jan-17 09:52:31

Just the countless witness statements and lawsuits filed against him then hmm

ShebaShimmyShake Fri 20-Jan-17 09:53:13

A terrible mistake in marrying that hateful windbag. She should pull out. Like Trump's father should have done.

lavenirestanous Fri 20-Jan-17 09:53:48

Out of her depth (as is he), but no sympathy. The mistake was marrying him in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now