Talk

Advanced search

To not take 3yo DD to the GP?

(51 Posts)
Badgoushk Thu 19-Jan-17 21:10:05

DD has molluscum on her inner arm and outer chest wall. She caught it from her cousin in September. I know that it can take 18 months to disappear. Over the past few days, one spot looked swollen and inflamed and this morning I called the GP to get an appointment as I thought she might need antibiotics. The GP opens at 8.30 but by the time I got through at 8.50, all the emergency appointments had gone. I booked the first 'regular' appointment available which is in 12 days time. I could call up again tomorrow for more emergency appointments however....

Tonight in the bath it had formed a head. I very gently touched the normal skin nearby and pus started to come out. I would say about 0.5-1 cubic cm of pus came out very easily (not squeezing but gently rubbing the normal skin a few cm back. I think a bit more may come out tomorrow.

She doesn't have a temperature but her cheeks have been flushed for a few days. She's her normal boisterous self.

AIBU to not push for an emergency appointment but wait until the normal appointment, considering that the infection/pus has come out? She's normally fit and well.

To avoid drip feeding, I'm a hospital doctor but have never done paediatrics. Plus it's different when it's your own child!

Picture shows before purulent eruption!

MountainPeaks Thu 19-Jan-17 21:11:56

Not sure but I'd remove that photograph.

Badgoushk Thu 19-Jan-17 21:12:33

Also, I work part time so if I call up the GP tomorrow they'll give me an appointment for tomorrow and I'll have to miss work. My hospital is VERY short staffed so I don't want to make life difficult for my colleagues or affect my patients.

delshwragon Thu 19-Jan-17 21:13:31

Don't bother with GP - this happens to master molloscum spots just before they expire. Squeeze as much as you can out - bet they are all cleared up within a week.

NeedsAsockamnesty Thu 19-Jan-17 21:14:17

What is wrong with that photograph?

I wouldn't go unless it got worse

Waffles80 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:14:29

Why Mountain? Genuine question.

luckylucky24 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:14:36

It isn't an emergency. Unless she is upset by it I wouldn't bother.

Badgoushk Thu 19-Jan-17 21:15:07

MountainPeaks okay. I've reported the thread to ask them to remove the pic. I thought it was okay, you can only really see her arm can't you?!

delshwragon Thu 19-Jan-17 21:15:35

Also Fucidin helps a lot if you have any in the bathroom cabinet!

IwillrunIwillfly Thu 19-Jan-17 21:15:35

If shes otherwise well and the area doesnt look infected (spreading redness, hot to touch, sore, smelly) then i wouldnt worry. If the redness spreads or she becomes unwell then i'd prob chase up a quicker appointment incase it needed antibiotics.

Badgoushk Thu 19-Jan-17 21:17:44

Thanks delshwragon, I don't unfortunately!

Badgoushk Thu 19-Jan-17 21:19:08

IwillrunIwillfly, she said it was sore if she touched it and it was warm before it erupted. But she's very well in herself. I'll keep an eye on it.

justilou Thu 19-Jan-17 21:24:33

I wouldn't bother unless it's looking very feccy.... molluscum is gross isn't it? My daughter had it up in her armpits and down her arms and the sides of her chest. I used a 10% benzoyl peroxide cream twice per day on each pustle which dried them out and it was all gone in two weeks.

purplefizz26 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:26:04

I don't see anything wrong with the photo confused

Maybe phone and ask for a chat with a doctor or nurse to see what they suggest, it doesn't look worrying to the point I would get an emergency appointment but they might be able to put your mind at rest over the phone until your appointment.

Cel982 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:29:23

I think Mountain may be pearl-clutching at the sight of Anonymous Child Nipple hmm

Bushymuffmum Thu 19-Jan-17 21:33:24

Ooh, I want to squeeze it!! I've never heard of a molluscum (goes to google)

shinynewusername Thu 19-Jan-17 21:34:39

(GP)As she's well in herself, I'd see how it is in the morning. Looks like she has got a little abscess but - as you say - the pus is now out and you might well find it's much improved tomorrow. She's effectively had incision and drainage tonight smile so she may not need antibiotics.

I have no idea what is supposed to be wrong with this photo btw.

Bushymuffmum Thu 19-Jan-17 21:36:45

Wish I hadn't just googled that!

Bushymuffmum Thu 19-Jan-17 21:40:43

I think the 'pearl clutching' is getting ridiculous on mn. Really bad. Was part of a very innocent thread earlier where we were discussing the paternity of Paris Jackson, Michael jacksons daughter. Basically talking about genetics/sperm donors/surrogacy and mn swooped in and shut it down. It was a really interesting thread and I was confused as to the reason - I am quite new to mn but the things people are offended by on here just blow my mind.
Sorry just wanted to get that off my chest!

Badgoushk Thu 19-Jan-17 21:45:30

Thanks shinynewusername, I was thinking of it as incision and drainage too! I really appreciate the advice. I'll keep a close eye on it and on her generally.

RandomMess Thu 19-Jan-17 21:45:48

Now one has been infected her body will realise it's there and they'll clear up.

So as most people have said, keep a close eye on it just case of sepsis but it should be fine.

Badgoushk Thu 19-Jan-17 21:47:18

Bushymuffmum, I didn't see that thread but maybe they were worried about libel!

Badgoushk Thu 19-Jan-17 21:47:57

Thank you RandomMess. Will do.

dontcallmethatyoucunt Thu 19-Jan-17 21:48:05

My DD always looked like that before they burst. Very angry looking, but I think that's how they 'mature' rather than a separate infection. I wouldn't bother with the GP but I'm a bit on the lax side

Badgoushk Thu 19-Jan-17 21:50:17

Thanks dontcallmethatyoucunt, I think it was an infection on top as it was hard, red, warm and quite a lot of green/creamy/grey pus came out. The others have become red and inflamed before but nothing like this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now