Talk

Advanced search

Donald Trump thinks vaccines cause autism

(106 Posts)
Whosafraidofabigduckfart Thu 19-Jan-17 20:10:16

AIBU to worry that Donald Trump believing that vaccines cause autism and is setting up a commission to investigate could lower vaccination rates and increase deaths

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/trump-vaccines-autism-2016-11?client=safari
http://www.nature.com/news/trump-s-vaccine-commission-idea-is-biased-and-dangerous-1.21310

Perhaps in the scheme of things

Whosafraidofabigduckfart Thu 19-Jan-17 20:13:04

www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/trump-vaccines-autism-2016-11?client=safari

www.nature.com/news/trump-s-vaccine-commission-idea-is-biased-and-dangerous-1.21310

Sorry the links didn't work

milpool Thu 19-Jan-17 20:14:22

Of course it could. It's incredibly dangerous for someone in such a powerful position to promote this view.

hahahaIdontgetit Thu 19-Jan-17 20:15:10

It's like he's picked his views from polling the flat earth society members. confused

MycatsaPirate Thu 19-Jan-17 20:16:59

Bloody hell.

There are already far too many people who think vaccines are the spawn of the devil. Now we have this idiot pronouncing this.

I absolutely despair that anyone voted for him to be in power.

Whosafraidofabigduckfart Thu 19-Jan-17 20:18:36

His quotes are incredibly dangerous.

BeyondCanSeeTheEmperorsBellend Thu 19-Jan-17 20:22:46

Is anyone really surprised? Really really?

Personally, I'd love to know which vaccine caused Donald Trump so I could avoid that one.

PastysPrincess Thu 19-Jan-17 20:23:11

I can't find the words to express how worried I am by this (and everything that is going on at the moment)

Littleoakhorn Thu 19-Jan-17 20:25:33

Maybe he'll start wearing a tin-foil hat soon.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 19-Jan-17 20:27:40

These are dark days.

GiantHulkHands Thu 19-Jan-17 20:51:11

Unsuprising and awful.

daisychain01 Thu 19-Jan-17 20:56:35

Yeah right. Because we all know DT is the world leading authority on science and medicine hmm

msrisotto Thu 19-Jan-17 20:57:07

My eyes rolled into the back of my head when I read this. Nothing about it surprises me, he is pure bullshit. I hope he doesn't cause as much death and frankly destruction as he could between this and climate change denial. Nevermind what other bollocks he's sure to come out with.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 19-Jan-17 21:00:37

The worrying thing is that this isn't even the most ridiculous and proven false thing that he believes.

Valentine2 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:01:05

Why are you worried OP? Is t going backwards and against all experts the newest fashion?

lljkk Thu 19-Jan-17 21:01:47

My cousin is a fervent anti-vaxxer & is thrilled with the appointment of RFK Jr & these developments. (sigh)
We don't have any autism in the (huge extended) family, btw. Or bad vaccine experiences (that anyone told me about, anyway). But you know how these things go, he's talked to a few people...
Cousin also believes we could all be rejuvenated with stem cell injections & live forever. That this technology exists today. And other weird things.

TattyMonkey Thu 19-Jan-17 21:02:08

It's incredibly worrying that he has set up this commission. He will be using taxpayers' money to research something that we already know the answer to, while simultaneously creating more fear and anxiety among those who fail to understand how science works.

The worst part about it is that it puts everyone in danger by damaging our her immunity. angry

TattyMonkey Thu 19-Jan-17 21:02:47

*herd immunity I meant.

shartsi Thu 19-Jan-17 21:03:05

Fake news?

jasonapple Thu 19-Jan-17 21:08:02

Science has already proved that he is wrong.

TheMysteriousJackelope Thu 19-Jan-17 21:09:43

This is terrible. Supposing he decides to cut aid for vaccination programs in third world countries? Or decides to cut Medicaid funding for poor children to get vaccinations in the US?

I don't think reviewing the vaccination schedule to see if a more spread out system is feasible or desirable is a bad thing, but that should be done by an impartial person with no axe to grind pro or con vaccination, not by a committed anti-vax campaigner. Preferably the person should have some form of medical background so they can actually understand what doctors and nurses are talking about.

Anti-vaxxers frequently babble on about MMR and autism. But vaccinations are also for things like polio and TB. There are antibiotic resistant strains of TB around now. At least vaccination provides some protection. Does Trump have any idea how many tens of millions of people used to die from TB in previous centuries? It's only since about the 50's that there's been much ability to treat it. Of course he'd need to have some knowledge of history to appreciate that.

Itwasthenandstillis Thu 19-Jan-17 21:10:05

There is speculation that his youngest son is on the spectrum. Typical of him to want to find something or someone to blame, therefore it must be vaccinations. Vaccinations are so important.

GarrulousGrimoire Thu 19-Jan-17 21:11:47

I'm a firm believer that this is all a big hoax, he'll get into power then go:

- the report says vaccines are awesome go vaccines!

- I've met with E Mexico, beautiful people, lovely, no wall for them.

- do you know what, women are ok, I've been meeting with clever women, we shouldn't be grabbing, grabbing is SAD

He's a secret genius to get the pleblic vote and then take them into positive thinking.

<<clings on the delusions>>

Itwasthenandstillis Thu 19-Jan-17 21:12:51

ThemysteriousJ - it is not only avout TB - measles WAS the biggest killer of children before vaccination program was widespread.

BarbarianMum Thu 19-Jan-17 21:14:06

Oh how convenient, now he can save money by not vaccinating children of the poor. hmm

Tbh this sort of belief is pretty self-limiting though. One big outbreak of measles and people will remember why we developed vaccines in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now