Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Inner city area. What age to get to and from school alone?

(5 Posts)
MsGameandWatch Thu 19-Jan-17 16:56:41

At dd's school it's year 5 - so age 9/10.

Dd doesn't want to and won't make her. She can't see a time when she will ever want to but does have autism.

Without that in mind this age does seem very young to me. Some of dd's classmates walk home alone and I have seen them screaming and shouting and messing about, running into the road without a thought as part of this messing about.

Just seems too young to me....

Lespritdelsietanner Thu 19-Jan-17 17:14:19

I wouldn't have said Y5 was too young but for me it depends on the child and also the distance that needs to be walked. My niece is 11 (Y9) and commutes from Highgate to Regent's Park to get to school. It involves a bus and underground journeys. A lot of people would balk at that but it's not that big a deal and a lot of school kids in London do the same.

Lespritdelsietanner Thu 19-Jan-17 17:15:33

Year 7 not Year 9! My son is in Year 9 and we can see his from our house so no problems there.

Lespritdelsietanner Thu 19-Jan-17 17:16:24

His school from our house!

AuntieStella Thu 19-Jan-17 19:18:48

Depends on the capabilities and experience of the DC, and the. Now. If the journey.

A generally sensible DC who has walked to and from school every day since reception should be fine by year 5 (though I'd wait until lighter evenings).

If they don't know that you never, ever run out into the road then they are not yet mature enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now