Talk

Advanced search

Well I didn't know that! Origin of words

(9 Posts)
Bushymuffmum Thu 19-Jan-17 14:57:10

Just watching countdown and the wordy woman on it said that the word 'romance' originates from the Romans and the fact that many lovey-Dovey language comes from Latin words.
Another one I heard recently was the word ' namby-pamby' comes from The nickname given to 18th century poet ambrose Philips because of his sentimental poetry.(ie he was a bit sappy)
Just thought it was quite interesting and now wondering about other words and their origins (so I can one-up dh with my superior knowledge time he uses certain words)!

Caenea Thu 19-Jan-17 14:59:53

Hysterical comes fro the Greek word for womb! Plato believed the womb could roam the body causing women to be emotional creatures smile

Rockpebblestone Thu 19-Jan-17 15:01:59

Especially for you, then, here:

www.etymonline.com/

Bushymuffmum Thu 19-Jan-17 16:43:56

Wonder if plato's wife invented the words misogynistic pig!!

SittingDrinkingTea Thu 19-Jan-17 16:47:40

Panic originally meant the feeling of fear when walking alone in he woods, and the pan part comes from the god Pan.

Pineappletastic Thu 19-Jan-17 16:49:39

The origin of colour words is fascinating. Most of them other than the main ones are named after something that is that colour. Pink is named after the flowers with the zigzag edges, that look like they've been 'pinked' with pinking shears.

user1478860582 Thu 19-Jan-17 16:51:11

Fed up comes from falconry. A bird of prey only comes back to its handler when it is hungry. If it's not hungry it has a tendency to sit in a tree and just eyeball you. The handler then then gets grumpy and fed up.

user1478860582 Thu 19-Jan-17 16:52:38

Salary comes from salt as (I think) some roman soldiers were paid in salt, hence salting it away.

PavlovianLunge Thu 19-Jan-17 16:54:50

It was only a few years ago that I realised 'news' is plural of 'new' - that was only because we were in France when 'les nouvelles' came on the telly. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now