Advanced search

To feel like someone stole the last four years of my life and complain to old GP?

(5 Posts)
cupsanddogs Thu 19-Jan-17 13:36:51

Four years ago a consultant identified something on tests while reading for something else and informed gp as it needed dealing with. I queried and was told that it was actually fine and not to worry about it.

I've been going to the GP various times over the years with the same symptoms etc to a point I ended up struggling with depression because i constantly felt so awful.

Switched to a new doctor, new doctor tested straight away and identified this condition immediately at quite a series level, I'm now getting treatment but need further testing as I could have suffered long term damage to my heart as a result of the delay in treatment.

My biggest bug bear is that I have spent the last four years of my kids childhood feeling utterly awful and not able to do what I wanted with them sad especially as I spent the first five years of dds life having operations for something different altogether.

Isadora2007 Thu 19-Jan-17 13:38:28

YANBU to complain. Please do.

Hopefully the treatment will be a success and you will be feeling much better soon. But that still
Doesn't make up for the past few years.

CaspoFungin Thu 19-Jan-17 13:40:15

So what you've been diagnosed with now, is that what they originally told you you didn't have? Why didn't u ask them to repeat the test in the last four years?

cupsanddogs Thu 19-Jan-17 13:54:43

Yes Caspo same thing, I didn't know properly what it was to ask.

Basically my consultant while doing tests for other things identified a condition I had never heard of. He reported this back to the GP and asked them to look at it further.

I.had a GP appointment and mentioned that consultant had said they needed to check for something and was told they had looked at it and it was was fine.

New GP now diagnosed and told me it was in my notes it had been flagged up before by my consultant and they had been told at GP to re test and medicate.

Now knowing the name I googled to find all symptoms are what I have spent years saying.

Jenny70 Thu 19-Jan-17 14:45:41

I would be making a complaint - that sounds like the GP hasn't understood the nature of this condition, which is obviously not great as someone else pointed it out to them, AND you had symptoms, became increasingly unwell and yet STILL they didn't seek to find out about it for themselves or refer you to someone who did.

Question is, who to complain to - Practice manager might be good starting point, but the medical board (I'm not UK, not sure what the right name is) to ensure this GP has appropriate training.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: