Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to make friends?

(8 Posts)
lonelysaddo Thu 19-Jan-17 10:56:06

It seems like everyone has friends so there must be a easy way of doing it? I seem to have missed that lesson at school though hmm

My situation is I'm a stay at home mum to 4dc. One with special needs so even though he is in mainstream school I can't find a job ATM due to almost weekly appointments and no after/before school care that's suitable so that's one big way of meeting new people not possible.

Dh works away a lot so I'm not able to go to any evening classes or social events.

Neighbours all work or are very elderly so while they are good for a chat they aren't the shopping/bottle of wine companions I have in mind.

I do have a couple of very good friends but due to there dhs jobs (military) they will be moving soon
and I'm just realising now how dependent I've been on them and how lonely I will be when they leave in a few months.

All four dc are at school so I don't have any little ones to try at toddler groups and the play ground mums all just seem to drop and run or be in their own cliques. I'm trying to get to school a few mins earlier and smile at people but after not bothering with anyone before I'm not really getting anywhere.

Things I am trying- starting a parenting course through the school next week confused nervous about walking in but hoping to get to know a few people.

Just started a slimming group- it's so busy just now though with all the new year dieters that I kind of get lost in the crowd.

So how do you make new friends? I'm not wanting to live in anyone's pockets but would be nice to meet up once a week for coffee or have someone to go see the latest film with etc

AragornsManlyStubble Thu 19-Jan-17 11:12:29

Awww bless you! I'm very similar, have a child with SN in school, and one home educated so very little free time to just be me. I also don't really have many friends and sometimes get quite lonely.

What you're doing sound like good ways to meet people. The school run can always be a dodgy time for talking to mums as it's so manic. Does one of your Dc's have birthday coming up that you could do a small party for? I found this a great way to actually have the opportunity to talk to people face to face. Or do they have any particular friends you could invite with their mums for a play date?

lonelysaddo Thu 19-Jan-17 11:24:48

Hmm yes I think inviting some people for play dates could be a idea thank you. Parties are very like the school run here, it's a small area so only one hall seems to get booked and the children all seem to be just thrown in then picked up again while the mum runs around manic.

AragornsManlyStubble Thu 19-Jan-17 11:28:02

Is there any way of doing a party at home? It's harder for mums to throw them in and make a bid for freedom!

ShesARumUn Thu 19-Jan-17 11:49:33

I know PTAs get a mixed response here, but have you thought about offering to help out? You may meet some nice people and if you don't, at least you've tried and also helped the school out as well?

PonyPals Thu 19-Jan-17 11:53:37

At least you don't have a problem like this entitled lovely lady

PonyPals Thu 19-Jan-17 11:54:13

That one was in my FB baby group. She is special hmm

lonelysaddo Thu 19-Jan-17 12:01:40

God I bet that's the kind of people I'm going to start coming across, they'll be doing everything they can to avoid me while I try like a bear to befriend them 😂😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now