Talk

Advanced search

Cancer Research adverts

(69 Posts)
StripeyCover Thu 19-Jan-17 10:54:42

I just find it really shock that Cancer Research use a TV advert that shows real people breaking down and crying with their mother about their cancer diagnosis. It just feels so unnecessary to use this. And I feel like I am being emotionally manipulated in a really questionable way...

PurpleDaisies Thu 19-Jan-17 10:57:10

Unfortunately it's a realistic portrayal of what cancer does to families. I don't think there's an problem with the advert to be honest.

DontTouchTheMoustache Thu 19-Jan-17 11:02:10

I find them very powerful (I know one of the people on these adverts so they do hit me quite hard). It's actually the most simple, honest advert there is.

EssentialHummus Thu 19-Jan-17 11:04:53

I find these adverts incredibly powerful and affecting (and sad, of course). If the choice is this or the "Cancer we're coming to get you" bumpf, I choose this every time.

Headofthehive55 Thu 19-Jan-17 11:04:53

I have recently been diagnosed with cancer, and I find them hugely upsetting. It's like having it rammed in my face when for that moment I have forgotten. There is no warning and seemingly no way of escaping it.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 19-Jan-17 11:06:12

It just feels so unnecessary to use this.

Why?

I will never forget that moment I had with my mum when I told her about my cancer.

This is real life for many people.

Headofthehive55 Thu 19-Jan-17 11:19:35

But do you want reminding of it. I don't when I am trying to relax.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 19-Jan-17 11:22:44

To be honest Head at the moment I am reminded of it every minute of the day.

I do get however that some may not like it.

Headofthehive55 Thu 19-Jan-17 11:30:53

Yes, nothing takes it away, but sometimes I am watching a program, and for that hour or so I have relaxed and then bang! It's like rubbing salt in the wound. Currently undergoing treatment so it's all a bit much.

MammyNeedsASpaDay Thu 19-Jan-17 11:30:58

But that's what they want to do. To get you to donate.

The one with the baby is played at cinemas. That's like a worst nightmare. It's important to put it out there, but it hasn't made me donate to them. However I donate in other ways.

catsandbooks Thu 19-Jan-17 11:34:53

A close relative of mine has terminal cancer and she finds the adverts too much, often they are shown between her favourite soap and it's a constant reminder of her awful illness sad
I know they need to raise money for more research but it seems there's no let up for those who already have the disease.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 19-Jan-17 11:39:33

I think it is one of those things that splits opinion.

My DM hates it. I prefer it (for want of a better word) than some of the others.

The one I disliked the most is the 'coming to get you' or the 'fighting' one. This isn't my first time of having cancer and those adverts made me feel that I wasn't 'fighting' hard enough, especially as I am realistic of my prognosis.

StartledByHisFurryShorts Thu 19-Jan-17 11:39:57

I find the ads really affecting. There was one with a couple of friends discussing how she'd lost all sense of taste apart of grapefruit. I think they got a bit giggly at the end. "Well, at least you've got that." "Yeah. At least I've got grapefruit"

I don't understand why Cancer Research is a fecking charity though. I want my taxes to pay for that. And if that means increasing tax then so be it.

I feel the same way about the NSPCC, by the way.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 19-Jan-17 11:40:08

flowers for everyone going through this.

Sallygoroundthemoon Thu 19-Jan-17 11:41:50

I hate them. I've lost people to cancer and don't need reminding how shit it is.

mambono5 Thu 19-Jan-17 11:51:42

I don't understand why Cancer Research is a fecking charity though. I want my taxes to pay for that.

that, exactly.

JaquieFromTheBlock Thu 19-Jan-17 11:56:17

If they need to use hard hitting adverts in order to get as many life saving donations as possible then it will save more lives. To pretend lives aren't shattered by Cancer is ridiculous because that is the world we live in OP

No worse than the 'don't drive above above 30mph' that showed the dead little girl at the side of the road

DontTouchTheMoustache Thu 19-Jan-17 11:59:12

flowers to those who are suffering through this horrible illness. Those who find it a reminder, do you mind me asking, is it the adverts themselves that upset you or cancer research adverts in general? Would the content of any cancer research advert be a painful reminder or is it the 'realness' you find difficult?

GoodEyebrowDay Thu 19-Jan-17 12:04:50

Ignoring it doesn't make it go away.

Banning things which cause you to have feelings is one of the main reasons of what's going on today. People are suffering. Their pain is worse than you feeling 'shocked'

GoodEyebrowDay Thu 19-Jan-17 12:07:11

To people who mentioned taxes; charities exist to pick up the slack the government doesn't reach.

Research, hospice care, treatment for side effects, aren't deemed as 'necessary' and won't fall under NHS which focuses on healing. Without these charities doing the work there'd be an Awful lot of people in pain and desperate need. And god forbid you see them this way & get upset

GoodEyebrowDay Thu 19-Jan-17 12:08:37

headof I'm sorry for what you're going through, it must be tough. But can I ask, are you receiving treatment & do you get a Macmillan nurse?

mambono5 Thu 19-Jan-17 12:15:44

Sadly, so many medical treatment are not even available on the NHS at all, and families have to self-fund treatments, and fight really hard to try to get the money somehow to help their love one to survive.

it's very sad.

PinxTheTinxMinx Thu 19-Jan-17 12:17:15

OP that is happening every single day to different people, unfortunately it is a fact of life which isn't going to go away over night.

My Dad had his diagnosis last year, it is the only time I've seen him cry it was totally horrendous and devastating. My mum just kept saying but things like this don't happen to people like us, they did and they do. He's having treatment and so far so good but you just don't know. He's not fighting he's just cracking on with it and listening to the doctors, the Macmillan nurses are amazing.

So YABVU.

StartledByHisFurryShorts Thu 19-Jan-17 12:21:15

Sadly, so many medical treatment are not even available on the NHS at all

And that needs to change.

Heatherbell1978 Thu 19-Jan-17 12:24:20

I find them very upsetting as I lost my best friend to cancer last year. But, they make people donate. I donate quite a lot to charities and most as a consequence of seeing an advert that reduces me to tears.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now