Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your hilarious parent/grandparent mistakes

(10 Posts)
DesignedForLife Thu 19-Jan-17 10:46:29

In bed ill but can't sleep so need some entertainment. I'll start, I know I've made plenty but the ones that stick out were made by grandparents.

Left MIL to settle DS (4 weeks old) whilst I cooked dinner. When I came back in she exclaimed that she couldn't get him to take the dummy. She was trying to feed him the dummy clip! The actual dummy was still attached to the other end. She said on reflection she thought the dummy looked a bit strange!

BrieAndChilli Thu 19-Jan-17 10:55:11

I asked MIL once to make up a bottle of squash for our packed lunch, came to lunch time and it was just undiluted squash with no water in!! Not sure why as she runs a Playschool so make squash a lot plus has squash at home!!!

EmmaWoodlouse Thu 19-Jan-17 15:33:54

I mainly breastfed my DC, so I wasn't all that familiar with the routines of bottle-feeding, but one time when DS2 was about 6 months old I tried to give him an Avent cup of my milk and forgot to take out the disc that you put under the screw top to stop it leaking! I have to say he was very patient about the fact that he wasn't getting anything!

Soubriquet Thu 19-Jan-17 15:41:41

Gotta be dh

Middle of the night feeding Ds for the umpteen time (undiagnosed reflux and CMPA so he fed all the time)

He had actually fallen asleep whilst holding the bottle. Woke up a bit later and Ds was still sucking furiously trying to get the milk. The bottle had a block in it and no milk was going through

steppemum Thu 19-Jan-17 15:43:44

put dd2 in the car to go and get dd1 from friend and go to swimming lessons.
Forgot to get dd1. As we drove onto the main road, dd2 said in a puzzled voive "I thought we were getting dd1?"

Camomila Thu 19-Jan-17 15:57:38

Not sure it's a mistake as such but a few times when DS was really little (like 3 or 4 months) and I'd give him to DH to settle after I'd fed him in the night DH would take him to the living room and get the toys out 'because he was awake' and play for an hour or so till he got tired again....rather him than me!

dollydaydream114 Thu 19-Jan-17 16:35:57

When I was a kid my grandparents came to look after us for a weekend.

My mum had left some old, wilting, snail-nibbled greens that she'd been given free for our rabbit by the local greengrocer. Somehow my nan managed to cook them for our dinner. I still remember how slimy they were.

She gave the rabbit the fresh broccoli we were meant to be eating. He was delighted.

She also managed to boil some potatoes for so long that the smaller ones literally dissolved, which meant there weren't enough for everyone. That meant that me and brother had, to accompany our rabbit greens and our pork chops, a tin of spaghetti hoops each. With gravy.

I realise this makes it sound like my nan was senile but she wasn't at all; she was just far too busy laughing, singing raucous music hall songs and teaching us to play whist to give a shit about domestic stuff. She was ace.

CwtchMeQuick Thu 19-Jan-17 16:49:17

My brothers are identical twins and when they were babies after a bath time my dad put them in the wrong pyjamas. This resulted in my step mom putting them in the wrong cots, getting them dressed for nursery in each other's clothes and being called the wrong names. They realised 2/3 days later at next bath time when my step mom asked my dad why the wrong son had a birth mark.

ProudBadMum Thu 19-Jan-17 16:50:27

I forgot my babies name the other day in the doctors. I just couldn't remember for the life of me.

So close to someone been called and a DNA done I think 😂

roseteapot101 Thu 19-Jan-17 17:44:45

my daughter was a year old staying with grandparents and the dog started barking at nothing.So granddad told the dog to shut up ,then up she peeped her first word shut up

thanks granddad
=p

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now