Talk

Advanced search

AIBU most complained about advert, twerking man in heels.

(137 Posts)
Boudiccaiceni Thu 19-Jan-17 10:10:48

I am surprised to learn that Money Supermarket ad featuring a man twerking in heels was the most complained about advert last year. This was apparently due to 'it's overtly sexual content'.

AIBU to think that if the twerking had been done by a woman in the same clothes it would not have received anywhere near the same number of complaints?

Amandahugandkisses Thu 19-Jan-17 10:12:08

I hate that advert it's vulgar and disgusting.

hawaiibaby Thu 19-Jan-17 10:14:51

Ugh that man makes me feel sick! Ugh at his facial expressions and angry twerking. I HATE it! Nothing to do with being overtly sexual, it just makes me feel ill angry

NancyDonahue Thu 19-Jan-17 10:15:09

It's just a stupid advert doing what it is supposed to do - get a reaction so people talk about it. I can't see why anyone would be offended enough to complain.

Boudiccaiceni Thu 19-Jan-17 10:19:36

I am willing to be told I am unreasonable but don't we see women twerking in a similar fashion, often with less clothes, on prime time TV like XFactor and so forth?

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 19-Jan-17 10:21:06

The ad was mildly amusing at most when it first appeared (shock factor - people remembered it) and is just irritating beyond belief now. Don't even get me started on the "spin off" versions.

MycatsaPirate Thu 19-Jan-17 10:25:00

That is up there in the top 5 of really shit adverts.

The Kevin Bacon one with Britney Spears cracks me up though.

Gooseygoosey12345 Thu 19-Jan-17 10:27:01

Well I think it's hilarious! And am generally of the persuasion that complaining about anything on tv is a bit pathetic when we have so many channels to choose from, or, you know, turn the tv off

Spudlet Thu 19-Jan-17 10:30:16

I find it really annoying, but not complaint worthy. But I just hate adverts generally.

I particularly hate the advert for a well known car buying business, because I find the guy's eyebrows distressing. They are in the wrong place on his face and they're also the wrong colour for his complexion! They look like they've been glued on! Just wierd hmm

Chottie Thu 19-Jan-17 10:34:12

I hate it too. I turn off as soon as it comes on.

tornandhurt Thu 19-Jan-17 10:36:47

I'm clearly in the minority as I think the advert is hilarious!

Love it or hate it though its done its job.........people are talking about it!

EpoxyResin Thu 19-Jan-17 10:40:45

I'm surprised they raised so many eyebrows too - I freakin' love those adverts!

Don't ask me why, I was talking to dp about this only the other day. I don't think they're sexual, I think it's that "dance like nobody's watching, even when there are people watching" thing, like "screw you, this is my bad self, I do what I want!". It's empowering!

I mean does no-one else ever do something banging at work, sidle off to the ladies then BUST OUT YOUR BADDEST, HOTTEST MOVES IN THE MIRROR in sheer self-congratulation?? I do, and it's just that feeling, the one those guys are expressing in that ad. Yeah, they saved some money and now they feel AWESOME IN THEIR BAD SELVES!

I asked dp if he did the "dancing in front of the bathroom mirror" thing at work... he does not. But he does give himself a wink and pep-talk in the mirror when he really blows something out of the park. Surely we all do? If you don't, you should. It feels good!!!

BewtySkoolDropowt Thu 19-Jan-17 10:42:22

I think it's great.

Woman are encouraged to behave that way, and that's ok. Men do it and people hate it.

I think it's a great way to highlight the differences that exist within society's expectations and what is acceptable for both sexes.

Soubriquet Thu 19-Jan-17 10:44:25

I thought it's funny too

Like you said, if a woman did it, no one would blink twice

mum2Bomg Thu 19-Jan-17 10:47:15

I like it. A bit gutted some of the blokes look better than me in denim shorts envy

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 19-Jan-17 10:47:37

I think its hilarious!

FishInAWetSuitAndFlippers Thu 19-Jan-17 10:51:17

Overtly sexual grin It's the guy in the glasses with braces holding up his denim shorts isn't it?

I love the adverts, they make me laugh every single time.

StripeyCover Thu 19-Jan-17 10:51:42

Its awful, and its on every 5 minutes. However, the advert I really dislike is the Cancer Research one showing real people breaking down and crying at their diagnosis (with their mum crying too). FGS.

DontTouchTheMoustache Thu 19-Jan-17 10:52:07

I like those adverts! Partly because I think they are funny but partly because I think they do a good job of making people think "oh God, don't they look ridiculous!" And then realising that women are actively encouraged to act this way. It's a lighthearted way of highlighting stupid gender roles.

DontTouchTheMoustache Thu 19-Jan-17 10:52:56

stripey what is it you don't like about them?

scampimom Thu 19-Jan-17 10:53:21

The one where the two of them have a dance off annoys me. Mostly because the builder in the hi-viz gilet is far and away the better dancer and it angers me that they've suggested that the two are evenly matched. Because they're not.

Pooooooooooooooooossibly over-thinking this.

Boudiccaiceni Thu 19-Jan-17 10:57:11

I would also like to know what people don't like about them. I genuinely don't understand why it women who twerk on main stream family shows don't gather such complaints.

Rollonbedtime7pm Thu 19-Jan-17 10:57:34

I just can't believe anyone can be arsed to complain about adverts - just turn over! confused

ArcheryAnnie Thu 19-Jan-17 10:57:55

I love the dance-off one! I can see why some people find them annoying, but I really enjoy them.

BarbarianMum Thu 19-Jan-17 10:57:55

<<I think it's great.

Woman are encouraged to behave that way, and that's ok. Men do it and people hate it.

I think it's a great way to highlight the differences that exist within society's expectations and what is acceptable for both sexes.>>

^^This

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now