Advanced search

To tell the young lad on my train to put headphones on

(26 Posts)
questioningitall Thu 19-Jan-17 08:38:44

Or turn his fucking music off?

empirerecordsrocked Thu 19-Jan-17 08:40:27

Nope.

questioningitall Thu 19-Jan-17 08:41:29

He looks a bit .... like he would bash my head in for asking. Busy carriage and No one else is saying anything.

PidgeyfinderGeneral Thu 19-Jan-17 08:49:46

I would, but then I am bolshy like that. grin

AwkwardSquad Thu 19-Jan-17 08:56:56

Start a nice chat with him about his taste in music. Mention some of your favourites and ask if he has any of their tracks. Possibly hum along too. That'll either shut him up, or you'll end up actually having a nice chat.

(Disclaimer: I wouldn't actually do this myself, I'm far too British. I'd quietly seethe, and possibly tut if pushed.)

RacoonBandit Thu 19-Jan-17 09:02:07

I have said something in the past. I'm bolshy gobby too grin

Commuter train and a lad around 19 had some of those big ear phones only they weren't on his head he had them around his neck with the tinny music blaring.hmm
I managed 5 minutes before I leaned over and said "you do know those things work better if you actually put them on and then the rest of the train don't have to listen to your music. Wearing them like that does not make you look cool it makes you look like you are too thick to know how to use them properly".
In his defence he looked embarrassed and put them on correctly.

MadHattersWineParty Thu 19-Jan-17 09:05:49

I would and have, recently on a loonng train journey. He looked duly chastened and turned whatever he was watching off, but did try to argue the toss that it 'wasn't anything annoying'. He did sigh and sulk behind me for the rest of the journey though grin

Entitled and selfish behaviour deserves pulling up whenever possible IMO.

NavyandWhite Thu 19-Jan-17 09:07:53

How old? and what's his music grin

AwkwardSquad Thu 19-Jan-17 09:07:54

I did once give a sniffer a tissue so he could blow his nose. To his credit, he did so with good grace. Humour on both sides helped.

RachelRagged Thu 19-Jan-17 09:11:05

Does my head in , ,YANBU

lol , I would be inclined to react how pidgyfinder General would
With age in my case comes bolshiness.

They are selfish people and there are many these days.

RachelRagged Thu 19-Jan-17 09:11:45

So bold works when I don't wish it too and when I want it too it don't .?

ChuckSnowballs Thu 19-Jan-17 09:14:49

Can you all start singing and humming along - out of tune of course, perhaps get a middle aged man to do some dad dancing?

OobryJoobry Thu 19-Jan-17 09:16:11

Play some classical music or Bing Crosby (assuming those aren't similar to his taste!) on your phone.

FruSkogKattOla Thu 19-Jan-17 09:19:06

I'd probably sit there and seethe too. Hope your journey isn't too long?

There's a guy who comes into our local pub sometimes who sits there with his headphones on listening to music/watching music videos on his iPad. All fine and good. But he insists on joining in singing the song too. We have no idea what he's singing though grin

5moreminutes Thu 19-Jan-17 09:26:18

Just ask him politely, the same way you would if he were not a young lad but a 40 year old woman... On a busy train what is the worst that will happen? He might snarl and decline. More likely he will either do as you ask or make an excuse. Teens are usually really polite and obliging if you speak to them politely in the first place.

GeorgiePeachie Thu 19-Jan-17 09:30:26

I don't like it when two commuters know eachother and chat. It's morning. Shhh.

All in the same realm but I'm not really allowed to tell people to generally shut up....

having music as an excuse to shush people is a blessing.

PebbleInTheMoonlight Thu 19-Jan-17 09:36:30

My daughter just sings along badly when people do this near her. She's only 9 so being self conscious hasn't occurred to her yet but it always works in getting headphones placed firmly in place and in use grin

I will confess to not being brave enough to do this myself though blush

1000hobnobs Thu 19-Jan-17 09:55:21

If he's alone I'd say something. He's unlikely to kill you if he's alone.

If he's with a group of equally antisocial "youths" then I'd probably rather seethe than take the abuse that would follow.

To whoever said what's the worse that can happen on a busy train... My friends and I were robbed at knifepoint on a fairly busy train when we were teens. Nobody helped us, they were just glad it wasn't them.

Some man told me to turn my podcast down once. He was really arsey about it but in reality I just didn't realise how shit my headphones were. I could hear all the train noises at full volume but unfortunately everyone else could also hear Adam and Joe blush. I was happy to turn it down but he didn't need to be such a knob.

I don't understand why anyone would not bring headphones if they plan to listen to music. Such arrogance to assume or not care that you're disturbing others.

AnnieAnoniMouse Thu 19-Jan-17 09:57:17

I feel your pain. Next door have builders in, this is the first week of many. They have, sensibly, moved out. Their radio is louder in here than I'd have mine on 😬 I can cope, sound travels oddly & they're working...all good plus it's a mainstream radio station with ok music what I'm struggling with is one bloke who can't hold a tune let alone find a single correct note. It's agony. But slightly preferable to his random shouting (not work stuff, just random shite). I'm debating whether to give him singing lessons or a just gaffa tape his mouth shut daily...

Yes, I could go and 'ask him nicely to STFU'
Yes, I could phone the neighbours
Etc etc
Right now I'm practising tolerance - let's see how long it lasts 😁

Plus the other neighbour has NO tolerance of ANYTHING so he's likely to get it sorted 😂

elQuintoConyo Thu 19-Jan-17 09:58:22

Sing along. Then throw some shapes.

Dixiebell Thu 19-Jan-17 10:01:48

I've done it before. Packed commuter train, nobody saying anything. I said something like, 'do you think you could listen to that through headphones instead?'. He said 'nobody else is bothered', then turned up the music and said, 'now look what you've made me do'. I was so angry and embarrassed, and nobody else said a word. 😡

blankmind Thu 19-Jan-17 10:21:52

RachelRagged

For bold, italic etc. look for the examples under the heading Emphasis, just below the preview and post buttons, to the right of the Smileys list.

RachelRagged Thu 19-Jan-17 12:10:18

Thank You blankmind

SquatBetty Thu 19-Jan-17 12:46:24

When I used to commute I was always asking people politely to turn their music down. I think part of the problem was then the crappy free ear phones you got with ipods and iPhone - they really leaked the sound badly.

DJBaggySmalls Thu 19-Jan-17 12:47:27

I'd sing along. I cant hold a tune to save my life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now