Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if I'm a nosey Parker

(6 Posts)
tigerdriverII Thu 19-Jan-17 00:16:53

On the train this morning. Standing room only. Squashed up against a very fragile looking late teen and her dad. Everyone checking live train times to see when we're arriving. Teen becomes agitated and tearful, obviously going to be late for something, sobbing about her hard work going to waste.

Dad mithers about taxis -v- tube route. Train gets later and teen gets tearier.

Eventually I crack, she's in such a state, and ask if she's going to an interview? Turns out it's something different but she'll be in lots of trouble if she's late.

AIBU to have then said firmly to dad that he needs to ring the person she's seeing and explain now, not faff about ( I didn't say the faff about bit). He did, and sorted the problem. But I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have done without prompting.

I know I did the right thing, but was this insufferably nosey of me. My heart just went out to this young woman.

PussInCoutts Thu 19-Jan-17 00:19:44

YANBU sounds like you were being helpful if the dad wasn't realising what he needs to do himself

DodoRevival Thu 19-Jan-17 00:20:48

Hmmm, I'm going with a no you're not nosey. It was on public display so not much nosing needed. Possibly interfering (and bossy), but that said being interfering isn't always a bad thing.

tigerdriverII Thu 19-Jan-17 00:29:44

Yep, I was interfering. I just couldn't stand by and watch her sob when there was an obvious (to me) solution. Dad was panicking but hadn't thought just to ring and at least see if it could be sorted. I feel like an interfering old bat, but if I'd said nothing I'd also have felt bad. Oh I don't know, it worked out all right so AIBU for fussing over this now confused

BlackeyedSusan Thu 19-Jan-17 00:43:50

I would not have minded if I was flapping and not knowing what to do with a tearful teen.

FeralBeryl Thu 19-Jan-17 00:54:12

Ah the poor thing!
There was a soupçon of nosiness wink but it was well intentioned.
That sounds exactly like something dozy arsed DH would do so I would be amazingly thankful if he was standing next to a useful person like you, so thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now